Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCanna-Bliss
The man in the back
 User Gallery

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
To Pick Or Not To Pick
    #603671 - 01/02/12 02:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if it would be ok to pick a stem off of this plant because I noticed that a few of the trichomes have turned amber.

--------------------
"Do you hear of fear or... do I smash the mirror?"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: To Pick Or Not To Pick [Re: Canna-Bliss]
    #603673 - 01/02/12 02:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I like to pick at 50/50 trichomes.
Could always pick and dry a small bud to sample.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: To Pick Or Not To Pick [Re: KaptKid] * 1
    #603683 - 01/02/12 03:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I would not compromise what little yield you are going to get just because you are impatient.  Wait, my friend.  Another week or two and then a couple weeks to dry and cure.  Don't cheat yourself be patient.

Offlinegrod31
Ranger
 User Gallery

Re: To Pick Or Not To Pick [Re: SmOakland]
    #603686 - 01/02/12 04:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
I would not compromise what little yield you are going to get just because you are impatient.  Wait, my friend.  Another week or two and then a couple weeks to dry and cure.  Don't cheat yourself be patient.

:thumbup:

--------------------
DO NOT USE mushmagic.com- THEY LIE AND SELL DRUGS TO CHILDREN :thumbdown:
--------------------------------------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the fucker can go! 
And when it comes to that fantastic note
where the rabbit bites its own head off,
I want you to THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten seconds and they'd make me explain.

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#603737 - 01/03/12 03:45 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:

:thumbup::thumbup:

OfflineCanna-Bliss
The man in the back
 User Gallery

Re: To Pick Or Not To Pick [Re: phrostbyte]
    #603901 - 01/04/12 03:41 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I get where you're coming from, but I just wanted to test a bud that was a mix of some amber and a majority milky to see if i liked the high.  I'm also not impatient - I'm just trying to feel out these plants, because they were near dead when dumped on me and had little chance of life at the time. 

Also, I'm aware of the small yield, but I have plenty of pot already stored, and for an outdoor winter grow I'm not at all unhappy with my potential yield - i mean, are the rest of you growing right now or am I the only one crazy enough to try this?

Keep in mind - I don't grow indoors and never will - no point in paying for energy when the sun pumps it out for free.

That all being said, I don't doubt that you all have more grow experience than me, so I'll harvest around 50/50 amber to give you all the benefit of the doubt; I just thought that many growers pull the trigger at the first signs of amber for a more "cerebral" high.

The one thing that seems to be a common thread among growers is that mostly milky, mostly amber, or an even split is a matter of taste and not science (i.e. development of other cannabinoids or not).

Am I right on that point or is that a bunch of b.s. and I just need to go with the formula that you guys all follow?

--------------------

OfflineCanna-Bliss
The man in the back
 User Gallery

#603903 - 01/04/12 03:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

While I'm talking pot, some grower was trying to convince me that his herb was top shelf - when the buds were small, tasted like hay, and loaded with seeds (I didn't buy it - I assume none of us buy from others anymore - that's the magic of growing).

To me it sounded like he didn't pull his male plants in time and they pollinated the ladies, and to top it off he pulled premature and cured it improperly to create that shitty taste.

What do y'all think?

Sorry if I seem intense, I'm just a hyper-productive and hyper-active stoner with a lot on my plate.

Your feedback is much appreciated and i respect everyone here - so try not to recoil from me if i seem like I'm being an ass - I really am a nice guy.

Peace and unity...

...and I wish you all the best smoke for 2012!

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #603922 - 01/04/12 06:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Canna-Bliss said: I just need to go with the formula that you guys all follow?

When you find that , let me know.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineCanna-Bliss
The man in the back
 User Gallery

Re: To Pick Or Not To Pick [Re: KaptKid]
    #604086 - 01/06/12 12:57 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

There's no formula - but there is a right way in general to grow a plant for maximum vitality.  There are also a myriad of seemingly little things that can make a huge difference in the end...that's what I'm hunting for.

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
    #604113 - 01/06/12 10:33 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Canna-Bliss said:
There's no formula - but there is a right way in general to grow a plant for maximum vitality.  There are also a myriad of seemingly little things that can make a huge difference in the end...that's what I'm hunting for.

and i would say that if such a formula for maximum yield existed, it would prescribe you wait.

OfflineCanna-Bliss
The man in the back
 User Gallery

#604326 - 01/08/12 03:54 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Sometimes the math doesn't work out in your favor... as the plants are all showing 50% or more amber... actually like two days they did - now they're hanging upside down on my 'rack.'

Is it common for the trichs to turn from milky to amber so fast over so much area of the plant?

--------------------

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

Loc: The Frozen Tundra Flag
    #604360 - 01/08/12 12:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

depends on the strain.

I try to harvest when the bud is ripe. But like you said, get a feel for your genes and go from there.

"many growers pull the trigger at the first signs of amber for a more "cerebral" high."

This is basically because people are, for the most part, impatient. It also contributes to short-lived effects when smoking. If you want a good cerebral high, grow sativa plants. If you want a good narcotic high, grow indica plants. But wait and harvest when the buds are ripe.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

Edited by Nanook (01/08/12 12:10 PM)

OfflineCanna-Bliss
The man in the back
 User Gallery

Re: To Pick Or Not To Pick [Re: Nanook]
    #605291 - 01/15/12 11:29 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Nanook said:

...this is basically because people are, for the most part, impatient. It also contributes to short-lived effects when smoking. If you want a good cerebral high, grow sativa plants. If you want a good narcotic high, grow indica plants. But wait and harvest when the buds are ripe.

Good to know.  I grew half indica, half sativa plants in order to compare and contrast the two types of high - focusing in on what I really want from my experience.  I've found in the past that I generally prefer indica, as it helps my anxiety and produces the majority of my favorite strains.... so the comment about others picking early for the "lucid" high was kinda me just playing the Devil's advocate to see how y'all felt 'bout the situation....

..... patience will be the name of my new green-house I'm working on lol. I'm gearing up for a grow out in my little green-house starting Feb. 8th - as however stupid that may sound, a thorough 98 year weather report mirrored global warming trends - as my area hasn't averaged a minimum temperature past Feb. 8th below 48 F... the highs being in the low 60's (F) on average, spiking as high as 89 fucking degrees F in mid Feb. of 2006.

So yeah... keep the good info and talk coming - this 'noob' is enjoying getting some life outta this place.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals