Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
GreenThumb's Double (2X) Upgrade! 2000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. (From 1000-2000W)
    #601944 - 12/17/11 08:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

So after breaking my leg and surgery last winter, I managed to acquire my Med card. Good time for an upgrade. I took down the 6x6 tent and decided to utilize the entire spare room. Ordered a 1000 watter the day after getting my card. I finished off what was in the tent under a 400. The first pic is a nug from it. Then I got down to business.

I'm using a 6" Blockbuster Reflector coupled with a 6" Soler & Palau fan to run the 1000W Hortilux HPS. I built a false wall to cover the window and block the view to the street. The ballast sits on the window sill behind the wall in order to keep the ballast heat in check. The room was repainted flat Kilz 2 primer white.

The plants are the same old Sensi Star seed I've been using along with some random seeds I had saved. They are grown in a mix of 50/50 Pro-Mix BX and either MG Organic Choice or Moisture Control. I mix a 5 gallon bucket of Pro-Mix with a bucket of MG. To this is added 1/2 cup bone and blood meal, 1/4 cup powdered lime, and 1 1/2 gal. of H2O.
The seeds are germinated in paper towels, planted in 20oz. Styrofoam cups then vegged 24/0 under a 3 light Overdriven Shoplight array in a closet. At week 2 I started feeding them the General Organics line of nutrients at close to full strength. Here is the closet and a typical seedling size at the time of transplant in week 3.

Then they're transplanted into 5 gal. buckets and 3 gal. grow bags. and vegged 24/0 under the HPS. The last pic is 4 days ago. -12/13/11-

And here they are today. -12/17/11-

Stay tuned!:gethigh:

---UPDATE--- 12/26/11

On 12/18 (first pic) I gave the lower branches a major prune. Just the branches, all the fan leaves were kept. Now I wish I would have gone 2-3 nodes higher on pruning. The next 3 pics were taken on 12/21, THE FIRST DAY OF FLOWERING!!!

---MAJOR UPGRADE--- From 1000W to 2000W -12/26/11-

You wanted more?!? You got it. Today I set up the Hydrofarm Radiant 6 Reflector, Lumatek 1000, Hortilux HPS!!!

2x4 across the center, lights hung inline down the center of it. It uses the same exhaust hole as the single light setup did. They look much happier!!! I know I am. This is all still running on a 20A breaker. Both lights fire simultaneously without a problem. Just hoping I will be able to run my OD shoplights at the same time. :bigweed:

---UPDATE 1/2/12---

So I missed my update last week. I did take pictures because I had planned to but it was a busy week. So here they are. The tallest 2 plants stretched all the way to the glass so I had to super crop the main stems to make them fit again. I believe this is from vegging too long. I was an idiot and forgot to take pics before I did that. They are already starting to fill up with crystally goodness.

I tried to get the light switch in each pic of the individual plants so there is something in there to give you an idea of height. These are individual plants.

Here is the star of the show. The top of the main stem is more than twice as thick as the others and has naturally split into 2 colas. AWESOME!!! Plus she smells super skunky.

And here's the group shots:

Edited by DrGreenThumb (01/09/12 06:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrG
Male

Re: GreenThumb's Upgrade! 1000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #601970 - 12/18/11 05:58 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

man,why the heck can't I have my own place so I can do some massive grows like that:smirk:That looks fantastic!!!

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: White House
Re: GreenThumb's Upgrade! 1000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. [Re: DrG]
    #601981 - 12/18/11 09:16 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Looks great:like:

Offlinegrod31
Ranger
 User Gallery

Re: GreenThumb's Upgrade! 1000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. [Re: Dimo114]
    #601985 - 12/18/11 10:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

that light is small for the area i would recommend enclosing it with a tarp supplementing the lighting  or something.
but what do i know, your the TC :tongue:

--------------------
DO NOT USE mushmagic.com- THEY LIE AND SELL DRUGS TO CHILDREN :thumbdown:
--------------------------------------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the fucker can go! 
And when it comes to that fantastic note
where the rabbit bites its own head off,
I want you to THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten seconds and they'd make me explain.

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
Re: GreenThumb's Upgrade! 1000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. [Re: grod31]
    #602471 - 12/22/11 10:20 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Your the man:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Looking forward to watching:popcorn:

--------------------
x:tongue:

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GreenThumb's Upgrade! 1000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. [Re: grod31]
    #602482 - 12/22/11 11:38 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks guys. I can't wait to complete my first decent size grow.

Quote:

grod31 said:
that light is small for the area i would recommend enclosing it with a tarp supplementing the lighting  or something.
but what do i know, your the TC :tongue:

I appreciate the input. As far as tarps go, NO. If I wanted tarps and a smaller growing area, I would have just left the tent up. Tarps would create heat and ventilation issues also.
On the other hand an extra light would be ideal. Unfortunately, it's the holiday season and I'm broke as a joke at the moment. So dropping $550 on bulb, ballast, reflector is out of the question. I have to pay rent in order to have a room in the first place.
Fortunately, a fellow med patient I'm friends with is thinking just like you. He graced me with this yesterday!!! Hydrofarm Radiant 6 Reflector, Lumatek 1000, Hortilux HPS. Just gotta set'er all up.:headbang3:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GreenThumb's Double (2X) Upgrade! 2000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. (From 1000-2000W) [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #602899 - 12/26/11 12:24 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

---UPDATE--- 12/26/11

On 12/18 (first pic) I gave the lower branches a major prune. Just the branches, all the fan leaves were kept. Now I wish I would have gone 2-3 nodes higher on pruning. The next 3 pics were taken on 12/21, THE FIRST DAY OF FLOWERING!!!

---MAJOR UPGRADE--- From 1000W to 2000W -12/26/11-

You wanted more?!? You got it. Today I set up the Hydrofarm Radiant 6 Reflector, Lumatek 1000, Hortilux HPS!!!

2x4 across the center, lights hung inline down the center of it. It uses the same exhaust hole as the single light setup did. They look much happier!!! I know I am. This is all still running on a 20A breaker. Both lights fire simultaneously without a problem. Just hoping I will be able to run my OD shoplights at the same time. :bigweed:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: GreenThumb's Double (2X) Upgrade! 2000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. (From 1000-2000W) [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #602900 - 12/26/11 12:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Looking good man!

--------------------
My Tombstone will read: IwasburiedfacedownsoucanallkissmyA$$
my current grow

OfflinePernicious
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast
Re: GreenThumb's Double (2X) Upgrade! 2000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. (From 1000-2000W) [Re: HempMaster]
    #602916 - 12/26/11 03:29 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

lol i wish i had that kind of height :frown:

Offlinegrod31
Ranger
 User Gallery

Re: GreenThumb's Double (2X) Upgrade! 2000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. (From 1000-2000W) [Re: Pernicious]
    #603148 - 12/28/11 01:31 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

now that looks twice as sexy :awesomenod:
do you have an oscillating fan?

--------------------

OfflineAdrenal
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: GreenThumb's Double (2X) Upgrade! 2000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. (From 1000-2000W) [Re: grod31]
    #603507 - 01/01/12 07:32 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

why don`t you let the lights closer? You loose a lot of lumens by groing like this

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GreenThumb's Double (2X) Upgrade! 2000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. (From 1000-2000W) [Re: Adrenal]
    #603523 - 01/01/12 12:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Adrenal said:
why don`t you let the lights closer? You loose a lot of lumens by groing like this

I agree. There is only one simple reason. Convenience.
In order to move the lights they would have to be moved in unison so that the ducting would stay in a straight line. I would have to build a pulley system to do that and I wouldn't have a place to anchor it because of the drop ceilings. I rent, so everything I modify here I will eventually have to fix when I move.

Also, I need a big beam spread for maximum coverage. My space is packed solid and once again I think I may have vegged a little too long. You'll see what I mean in the next update. One of them has shot up almost 2ft. in less than a week. :eek:

--------------------

OfflineAdrenal
Stranger
 User Gallery

#603537 - 01/01/12 02:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i have a similar setup myself, only i use 400W lamps (only one for now will add 2 more inline later on), and i rent to.
here is my grow journal http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/603169

i know that my setup doesn`t help you but i`ll tell you how i plan to add the lights, i curently have a vents centrifugal 355 m3/h extractor, that i use to cool my light and vent the room, but i have no carbon filter and only one small light.

but, on my last grow i discovered that extractors (and coolers) make a bigger pressure closer to them and even if you have perfectly straight ducting the bigger the distance the smaller the pressure, so less efficient cooling.
the best way to keep your airflow efficient is to add a few of these along the airduct
http://www.indoorgardens.fr/catalog/fr/extracteurs-intracteurs-48/extracteurs-de-gaine-234/extracteur-de-gaine-vents-vko-125mm-185m3-h-1887.html

as for hanging the lights the easyest way is on a chain and i only needed two big holes and two big bolts there you can use easy rols for everything (including for the carbon filter so that you keep your duct as straight as possible.

let me know if i helped you.
happy groing

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GreenThumb's Double (2X) Upgrade! 2000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. (From 1000-2000W) [Re: Adrenal]
    #603757 - 01/03/12 11:24 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Adrenal said:
i have a similar setup myself, only i use 400W lamps (only one for now will add 2 more inline later on), and i rent to.

This is the difference.
When I was running my 400W I had the reflector on ratcheting straps so I could keep it low. Now that I've upgraded to 1000s, I realize that this is whole different animal. The 1000 watters put out a much greater intensity of light therefore reducing the need to lower the light. It seems after vegging under HPS, many of the side branches have "caught-up" with the top to form a (somewhat) even canopy.

It's almost like re-learning how to grow. Only much better.

My advice to you would be: Scrap the idea of 2 more 400s and get a 1000 watter. Then decide what to do. It will really open your eyes.

--------------------

OfflineAdrenal
Stranger
 User Gallery

#603866 - 01/04/12 06:42 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

there are alot of methods to grow and all have advantages and disadvantages, as a general rule of thumb the bigger the bulb the bigger the plants you can grow, the true advantages of the 1000W bulb can only be seen on really tall plants, and i want to keep a perpetual grow with clones later on with minimum veg time, this time i used big pots because i only had few seeds.

Offlinegrod31
Ranger
 User Gallery

#603881 - 01/04/12 11:38 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
Quote:

Adrenal said:

There is only one simple reason. Convenience.
In order to move the lights they would have to be moved in unison so that the ducting would stay in a straight line.

you could always raise the plants.
i know you dont need to- im just putting it out there.
do you have 50 watts a sqft?

--------------------

Edited by grod31 (01/04/12 11:43 AM)

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GreenThumb's Double (2X) Upgrade! 2000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. (From 1000-2000W) [Re: grod31]
    #604092 - 01/06/12 03:15 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

grod31 said:
you could always raise the plants.
i know you dont need to- im just putting it out there.
do you have 50 watts a sqft?

You are spot on with that one. I have various size boxes that I use to raise the shorter plants to get an even canopy. I think this is the best solution for my situation.
Definitely over 50w/ft.

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #604582 - 01/09/12 06:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

---UPDATE 1/2/12---

So I missed my update last week. I did take pictures because I had planned to but it was a busy week. So here they are. The tallest 2 plants stretched all the way to the glass so I had to super crop the main stems to make them fit again. I believe this is from vegging too long. I was an idiot and forgot to take pics before I did that. They are already starting to fill up with crystally goodness.

I tried to get the light switch in each pic of the individual plants so there is something in there to give you an idea of height. These are individual plants.

Here is the star of the show. The top of the main stem is more than twice as thick as the others and has naturally split into 2 colas. AWESOME!!! Plus she smells super skunky.

And here's the group shots:

--------------------

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

Loc: The Frozen Tundra Flag
    #604653 - 01/10/12 12:36 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

looking good :awedance:

what day 12/12 are those pics?

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GreenThumb's Double (2X) Upgrade! 2000W Spare Room, Random, Dirt. (From 1000-2000W) [Re: Nanook]
    #605029 - 01/12/12 05:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

They started flowering on 12/21 and those pics were taken on 1/2 so those are 12 days into 12/12 lighting. I'll be sure to update tomorrow. They have come a long way since then.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order