Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Car insurance
    #593002 - 10/20/11 10:25 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Pisses me off, until my GF actually told me what our bills add up too I couldn't believe it until I heard how much her insurance/car payments are.

Those two bills together double out monthly bills (we don't have to pay for water and our furnace doesn't work so we never have large power/gas bills). I'm just glad I can donate plasma twice a week until I get a job, might only be 20-50 bucks a go but money is money. /rant

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSteve Buscemi

Re: Car insurance [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #593011 - 10/20/11 11:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah but it's nice when someone totals your car and you get a new one plus a rental car for the few days you're without a car. It's only a waste of money if you're a safe driver that never gets in accidents.............. like most people. On the other hand I know girls that have crashed their car every couple years and get a new one through insurance, so it serves a purpose.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: Car insurance [Re: Steve Buscemi]
    #593013 - 10/20/11 11:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Steve Buscemi said:
Yeah but it's nice when someone totals your car and you get a new one plus a rental car for the few days you're without a car. It's only a waste of money if you're a safe driver that never gets in accidents.............. like most people. On the other hand I know girls that have crashed their car every couple years and get a new one through insurance, so it serves a purpose.

I just ride my bicycle everywhere, or walk (unless I'm going to the same place as my GF).

I'm only complaining because with me and my girlfriend living together me still not having a job is becoming an issue a lot faster than it would have without the insurance. I'm not even sure if I'm going to be in school this spring depending on how our bills are going. :shrug:

Life gets in the way I guess, I just need to make sure not to get her prego and I still have a legitimate chance of graduating college. :lol:

--------------------

Offlinebasshead
Stranger
    #593016 - 10/20/11 11:30 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

insurance seems to be to me (and i'm probably wrong) a real reaction to a fake straw man.

like "there's a chance you may have trouble, so pay me now, and i'll take care of that trouble when it happens"

"there's a chance" transforms to "when it happens"

one is a possibility, the other is a definite.

and we lose money to an industry.....its been 12 years since i've been in a wreck. i have been driving the whole time.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Car insurance [Re: basshead]
    #593020 - 10/20/11 11:43 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Gotta love it when the state mandates the necessity of insurance in a manner that most benefits insurance companies.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: Car insurance [Re: DungenessDank]
    #593021 - 10/20/11 11:50 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:tinfoil: illumi... wait a minute I'm not in the dome. Had to catch myself there.

--------------------

OfflineShaggy420
Male

#593081 - 10/20/11 04:32 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

car insurance prices are the only thing holding me back from buying myself a car.

its fucking ridiculous the prices over here, the cheapest insurance i can find is £3800 per year which is something like $6000.

That price is on the cheapest car possible, a shitty 1.1 litre slow-mobile.

edit: although that price is for a new driver, its still fucking disgusting that they expect young drivers to pay so much.

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

Edited by Shaggy420 (10/20/11 04:36 PM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Car insurance [Re: Shaggy420]
    #593185 - 10/20/11 11:15 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

wow!  that's crazy prices.  ive got a 30k$ jeep and my insurance is like $115 a month WITH my renters insurance added onto it.  i thought that was cheap.  it is one of my more costly expenses, but its' behind grocerys/food, rent, car payment, and concert tickets.  im going to sell this jeep soon and get a real cheap 4-5k$ car so im not paying $550 a month any more.  that shit was breaking me.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: Car insurance [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #593217 - 10/21/11 02:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

mine is like 1100 for 6 months. but i have 2 duis.

for the people who dont like insurance, how would you solve the issue of people without it getting in to wrecks and not being able to pay the shit back. then one dude is completely out in that situation, and thats not quite fair either.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: Car insurance [Re: still beLIEve]
    #593243 - 10/21/11 08:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

That happens sometimes anyway. I don't think the government should own the roads to begin with, it would make them a lot safer and more efficient.

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#593244 - 10/21/11 08:06 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Who would repair the roads if the government did not own them?

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: Car insurance [Re: Tangerines]
    #593245 - 10/21/11 08:18 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Private parties, whoever owns them can decide, be it a corporation, landowner, or community.

The argument against this is, "Who will make sure they are maintained if we the public aren't the owners!"

We the public own it right now, and I bet even if you go to your local county building every day and complain about the pot holes on your street, you will be lucky to see a county crew out there within the year. It would make much more sense for you and your neighbors to find some way to fix it yourselves taking into account the speed at which it would be fixed and at what cost to whom. It is far more logical for those who are involved to use their money to fix it than to take money out of everyone's pocket to pay 5 guys to stand around and watch 1 work some time in the future whenever they decide.

The government's involvement in the market is an effective monopoly and everyone who pays taxes are the ones getting price gouged.

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#593252 - 10/21/11 09:28 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I have as much faith in the general populous as I do in the government in terms of getting shit done. So you are saying we the public should collectively contract road work out to the same companies that government contracts its work to or simply do the repairs ourselves?

What about a road that services only one family.  That one family should be responsible for the maintenance of an entire 5-10 mile stretch of road?  If they cannot afford that then too bad that is what they get for living in the sticks

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: Car insurance [Re: Tangerines]
    #593255 - 10/21/11 09:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I have as much faith in the general populous as I do in the government in terms of getting shit done. So you are saying we the public should collectively contract road work out to the same companies that government contracts its work to or simply do the repairs ourselves?

That is one possibility. Maybe someone in the neighborhood becomes the elected repair man and he gets compensated for his work by the community, or the individual homeowner who's land the road is adjacent to. Of course with the larger company, they should arguably be more efficient in their work, so their would be reasons to go both directions with this.

The point of either one is that it is a market solution, not a monopoly solution.

Quote:

What about a road that services only one family.  That one family should be responsible for the maintenance of an entire 5-10 mile stretch of road?  If they cannot afford that then too bad that is what they get for living

This is the exact type of shit government infrastructure creates, would they have decided to live there in the first place if we all didn't have to pay taxes so the government could build a road to nowhere?

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#593260 - 10/21/11 10:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I think I've just been spoiled by my motorcycle insurance (liability only). Costs me like $200 a year for two of them, and that's for a 22 year old male who has only been driving motorcycles (legally) for like 3 years.

--------------------

Offlinezippo420
Male

#593347 - 10/21/11 07:26 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Motorcycle and car, 1100 a year. Full coverage on the bike, because I dont fuck around. No tickets in 7 years though, and i'm at the 26 age mark.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Car insurance [Re: zippo420]
    #593461 - 10/22/11 10:14 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

not bad at all

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Jump to top Pages: 1