Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narnia Flag
What rating cfm fan do i need?
    #588152 - 09/23/11 07:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hi everyone,
I'm still in the process of buying all my equipment a bit at a time.
So far I've got the light setup (400w hps)

Anyways, instead of making alterations to my wardrobe and killing the value of the house, I've decided to hold off on my grow for another 2 weeks so I can get a tent instead. I wasnt real keen on cutting holes for vents and hoses in the wardrobe wall for ventilation.

Anyways, I've decided on a Mylar Grow Tent, which has all attachments for venting and lights :smile: The sizes I'm look at is 0.8mx0.45mx0.8m or 0.9Mx0.5Mx1.6M

Anyways, I read that exhaust fan should do 70% of the tent in 1 min.
I have no idea what the "CFM" ratings of fan means.
What CFM ratings would you recommend for these tents?

Also, is the smaller tent large enough for my 400w hps? Or should I go the next step up and get the one thats a little larger? The smaller one is recommended for lighting up to 1000w, although I dont always trust what sellers say, especially on ebay.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Magickz :tongue2:

--------------------
In the human brain, the hypothalamus controls the four f's:
1. Fighting 2. Fleeing 3. Feeding and ...4. Mating

My Current Grow. Killing Fields & Heavy Duty Fruity!!!
My Grow Journal. First Grow EVER!!!!

Edited by magick81 (09/23/11 07:05 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

Re: What rating cfm fan do i need? [Re: magick81]
    #588186 - 09/23/11 09:56 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

CFM stands for 'Cubic Feet per Minute'.  It measures how much air is "moved" around in one minute.

A 100cfm fan will most likely circulate all of the air in your tent, but won't do it efficiently if your also venting the lights.  If you want full ventilation in the tent and too cool a 400w, I'd say go with at least a 200cfm fan; and that's for a 4x4x7 tent.  It'll clean out all of the air in the tent in less than a minute and provide enough circulation too cool an air cooled 400w bulb no problem.  Any bigger, and you'll have to go higher.

I didn't see any dimensions for the tents you have, so I can't comment on whether or not a 400w will work for the one in question.  But if you've grown with HIDs before, you know that they can cover a very large space very well.  One of those 2x2x4 tents could hold a 250w and do just fine, especially as a veg/mother room. 

Good luck with the grow, tents are fun.  They can just take a little work to grow in.

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narnia Flag
Re: What rating cfm fan do i need? [Re: alienscience]
    #588349 - 09/23/11 11:17 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

alienscience said:
I didn't see any dimensions for the tents you have, so I can't comment on whether or not a 400w will work for the one in question.  But if you've grown with HIDs before, you know that they can cover a very large space very well.  One of those 2x2x4 tents could hold a 250w and do just fine, especially as a veg/mother room. 

Lols, u musta missed the specs, halfway down next to the smiley :smile:
Anyways, I bought the 0.8x0.45x0.8 meter tent with a 250 cfm fan

Should be plenty for my setup :laugh:

Quote:

alienscience said:
Good luck with the grow, tents are fun.  They can just take a little work to grow in.

I'm curious by what you mean when u say they can take a little work..

Cheers
Kev

--------------------
In the human brain, the hypothalamus controls the four f's:
1. Fighting 2. Fleeing 3. Feeding and ...4. Mating

My Current Grow. Killing Fields & Heavy Duty Fruity!!!
My Grow Journal. First Grow EVER!!!!

Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

Re: What rating cfm fan do i need? [Re: magick81]
    #588560 - 09/25/11 05:50 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

All I meant was that you can't expect for you to just plug a light in and zip it up.  They ventilation, air exchange, and can be a little tricky to move plants around in.  They're not a bad thing, but I bought mine thinking it was going to be a simple plug and play and it wasn't.  Not hating though.

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds