Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCompass
King of Hemp
Male User Gallery

Loc: where the hemp grows
Why End Cannabis Prohibition?
    #5687 - 04/21/08 06:09 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

What is your main motivation for fighting for the rights of this plant and the people on the earth to use this plant?

Ideological or practial?
For lower prices, less paranoia, to spread pot thought, to pave the way for psychedelics, to free people in the system, to stop our national forests from being polluted, to lower crime, to protect the children, for hemp, for medicine, to stop ruining lives, to free up resources used in the indoor grows, to make it safer?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTokinHippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: A Freezer
Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: Compass]
    #5735 - 04/21/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I have often contemplated this very thought. I think its mostly ideological for me. I dont support government prohibition, it doesnt work, and if we need evidence the prohibition of alcohol in the twenties, also it doesnt make sense to criminalize a plant on the basis of lies. I dont think it will make it that much cheaper, and i think the government could make more money taxing it beecause lets face it the government never stays out of an economy that they can tax.

OfflineCompass
King of Hemp
Male User Gallery

Loc: where the hemp grows
Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: TokinHippie]
    #5747 - 04/21/08 06:27 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Using basic economics, it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't go down in price (pre-tax).

If only a small area (like Holland) has semi-legalization then demand stays high from tourism and not allowing commercial grows.

OfflineDandelion5

#5760 - 04/21/08 06:32 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Both

Ideological, in that I don't agree with the law telling me what I can and cannot put into my own body. I don't like that I could suffer legal repercussion for what I consider to be a private decision. I don't like that such a useful plant doesn't get used to its fullest potential. I don't like that it's just another method of control.

And practical as well, sometimes I have a hard time scoring and I fantasize about going to the local pot shop and picking out my choice of strain. or hash or oil or anything my little stoner heart desires. I fantasize about smoking in public as an alternative to alcohol with my friends.

That said, there are some aspects I like about the current situation. I like how it's my little "fuck you" to authority every time I smoke. I like secret meetings with friends and trying to be discrete as possible. I like getting stoned and going about my business incognito. Stepping outside the law in this case has kept me on my toes and given me a lot of perspective about life and living it the way that works for me.

Just my .02

--------------------
Why don't you go take a flying fuck at a rolling donut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the Moooooon!

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: Dandelion5]
    #5896 - 04/21/08 07:11 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I have a few reasons for why i actively pursue drug policy reform. First of all i will sum up my personal freedom issue with this quote from the late Terrence Mckenna:

If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.

Secondly, there is the prison issue. This is a mental health issue and not a criminal issue. Drugs are a taboo subject in America. And most people who feel as strongly as I (and most likely you reading this too) do about this issue simply are afraid to speak up about it for fear of being persecuted against because of their beliefs.

There are a few ways to go about decriminalizing mj. That's probably the first major step we will take in reforming all of our drug laws. But the question i most often grapple with is "what is the best way to coexist with all these new compounds, given our (humans) natural inclination to altering our consciousness?" Surely we shouldn't have every drug under the sun available to anyone who can get a doctor's prescription. I will stop there for now. bear in mind this was just a short rambling of thoughts.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineEssen
Male

Loc: ect.
    #6260 - 04/21/08 08:39 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Compass said:
For lower prices, less paranoia, to spread pot thought, to pave the way for psychedelics, to free people in the system, to stop our national forests from being polluted, to lower crime, to protect the children, for hemp, for medicine, to stop ruining lives, to free up resources used in the indoor grows, to make it safer.

and more...

OfflinecitricacidxA

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: GA
Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: Essen]
    #7314 - 04/21/08 11:22 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Both.

I don't think the government should be allowed to say what a person can and cannot do as long as those actions do not infringe upon another persons rights. Period.

It costs so much money wasting police time on victimless "crimes" and also prosecuting these "criminals" in the judicial system wastes a crap ton of money. Then incarcerating those who are not allowed to go on probation and pay their probation officer costs the tax payer a lot of money.

I like all these bills about decriminalization, but in a country where "sending the wrong message to young people" is such a terrible thing, decriminalization is not the answer. If anything, it creates more grey area. The only logical solution is relegalization, regulation, and taxation. What's easier for a kid to get, alcohol, which requires a legal ID to verify the age of the buyer, or going up the street to sketchy Steve's? I know kids can get fake IDs, but I doubt any weed dealer is carding his customers.

Relegalize: Stops money from being wasted arresting, trying people in court, and incarcerating them. Frees up police resources for real criminals, and frees up a lot of jail space.

Regulate: Recently there was an incident where nearly 30 people turned up in hospitals with signs of lead poisoning. Turns out someone was putting lead in with their 1/8ths to add weight and make more money. Regulation would prevent this kind of thing, whether it's lead, sand, or having it laced with another drug.

Tax: In addition to the money saved not arresting marijuana users, the legalization and taxation would probably bring us out of the national debt within a few years. A bunch of economist got together and projected that if it were to be taxed like alcohol and tobacco, marijuana sales could bring in about $2-6 billion a year. That, coupled with saving $7.7 billion not enforcing prohibition would be a huge step out of the current recession.

--------------------

OfflineDanStice

Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: citricacidx]
    #8373 - 04/22/08 11:46 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

citricacidx said:

I don't think the government should be allowed to say what a person can and cannot do as long as those actions do not infringe upon another persons rights. Period.

I like seeing that some people still have Libertarian views on individual rights. There may be hope for this country yet. . .

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: DanStice]
    #18937 - 05/04/08 12:57 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I also think it is a slap in the face to all americans (and everyone who lives in countries where certain things are prohibited) to pay for people to keep you safe and them have them steal the power away from the people and use it against them. Sometimes I just want to flip out and kill govt officials when I hear people talking about shit like the government owns the country and they just let us live here. its our fucking country and they are meant to help... NOT fuck with us and exploit us.

I dont really know where im going with this rant but I dont think marijuana prohibition should be ended. I think the current government should be ended, its about time for a fucking revolution. we put up with so much shit from these ignorant hick ass yet high ranking officials that wont admit when they are wrong.

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

OfflinegrimR
 User Gallery

Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #19351 - 05/04/08 06:17 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

to educate the public, to be free to use, and to free political prisoners in this merciless, heartless, drug war.

OfflineLySeRgIcLeOpArD
can you stand on your pot-head?
Male

Loc: alone on a hill
Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: DanStice]
    #31876 - 05/16/08 04:46 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

me too... maybe reasonable government can make a comeback in this country.

OfflineLySeRgIcLeOpArD
can you stand on your pot-head?
Male

Loc: alone on a hill
Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: LySeRgIcLeOpArD]
    #31901 - 05/16/08 05:22 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

My answer to the original question should enlighten some neo-cons, should they be reading :smile:

I want cannabis to be legal not just for recreation but for the betterment of [the user's] mind.  I find that smoking pot helps me overcome numerous mental hurdles and thus makes me a better (1) thinker (2) dreamer (3) socializer.

Having found that cannabis use improves my life in these ways, I want to see how American society as a whole will be affected by the same drug, once there is no stigma to using it.

-LL

--------------------
can you handle the gaze of the LySeRgIc LeOpArD?
tiz known to grow hazy with psychedelic steps
till tones of the colors are tasted on tongues
tiz magical 4 (adults) both old and young!

come to my fantasy - truly the land of free
animals dance with me - trip the trance musically
chance to see glance of glee unfolding naturally
I'm flying skies -- see I spend my time wisely

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Loc: the sun
Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: LySeRgIcLeOpArD]
    #32591 - 05/17/08 06:55 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LySeRgIcLeOpArD said:
My answer to the original question should enlighten some neo-cons, should they be reading :smile:

I want cannabis to be legal not just for recreation but for the betterment of [the user's] mind.  I find that smoking pot helps me overcome numerous mental hurdles and thus makes me a better (1) thinker (2) dreamer (3) socializer.

Having found that cannabis use improves my life in these ways, I want to see how American society as a whole will be affected by the same drug, once there is no stigma to using it.

-LL

QFT :thumbup:

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: mel_lonta_tauda]
    #35805 - 05/21/08 01:35 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I really dont get the law, growing cannabis is something youl do because you want to smoke it.

Its not a plant that you can add to someones food to kill them. Nope, those plants are legal.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Re: Why End Cannabis Prohibition? [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #35991 - 05/21/08 06:38 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not a heavy smoker, a lot of my desire to see marijuana legalized stems from an ideological standpoint. Mostly the same arguments you always hear: less addictive/harmful than alcohol, prohibition is ineffective, etc...but mainly b/c I think that the gov't has entirely too much power over the american people. It is no longer representative, but instead autocratic, and that just pisses me right off.
Read "On Liberty" by Mill that says it all.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale