Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSinsemilla
Stranger
First ever post, some noob questions
    #553622 - 05/06/11 07:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

First of all, hello everyone. I'm hoping this community is as wonderful as the Shroomery has been to me for so many years.

These questions are hypothetical as I'm only planning on an eventual grow since I don't have the means to do it right now. Anyways on to the questions.

I'm thinking about buying a 4' x 4' x 7' mylar grow tent from someone for a good deal, he's only asking like $60 shipped.

If I ever do give this a shot, I plan on going soil at first and possibly trying bubble buckets later.

Questions:
1. Could I divide this tent with something in order to use it for both veg and flowering?

2. If not/so, conservatively, how many plants could I grow in that much space?

3. Would you invest in MH/HPS Bulbs and Ballasts for that size grow space? Or try to go CFL's? How much wattage should I be looking at for each type?

4. How do people most commonly ventilate these tents? Cut holes in it for intake/exhaust?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First ever post, some noob questions [Re: Sinsemilla]
    #553708 - 05/06/11 11:30 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

1.  Sure, panda film.  Will just take a little work to get it made.  But if your going to go to the trouble of sectioning it off just build a small one with panda film and pvc pipe.  Hell you may as well just build your main tent yourself as well.  You'll save a ton of money.

2.  I would put 3-4 plants in that size tent for full life cycle of your plants.

3.  Get HPS lights.  You'll appreciate the difference in yield.  go with 2 600 watt lights for a 4'x4'x7' tent.  Remember your going to need lots of ventilation for HID lights to keep things cool.

4.  Now that I read farther you're already thinking of that.  One your going to need to ventilate the lights themselves, and then put in ventilation for the tent itself.  Although you can combine the two together.  Yes you just cut hole for intake and exhaust, keeping in mind you need to design this to keep all light out that may be able to come in during the dark cycle.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineSinsemilla
Stranger
Re: First ever post, some noob questions [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #553849 - 05/07/11 06:33 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you for the reply.

When you say you have to ventilate the lights themselves, do you mean, running air across the ballast in some fashion? Not sure what you meant by that.

Also, you mentioned building my own tent, which I love the idea of. I'm very much the DIY type of hobbiest. Do you have any links to "tek's" of people who have done this? I will try searching for some.

Thanks again for your feedback. I hope I actually get to attempt my first grow some day. In the meantime I have a ton of research to do.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #554051 - 05/08/11 01:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Search around dude, there's all sorts of information about building your own tents.  you also need to look in to what kind of reflectors your going to be using.  Because that's what your cooling, the actual light itself not the ballast.  I think you need to do a lot more research befor eyou begin man.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineSinsemilla
Stranger

#554094 - 05/08/11 06:36 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I sure do. That's why I'm here and asking questions. Off to sift through a bajillion more posts!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #554320 - 05/09/11 03:35 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Or buy a book man.  A lot more information just consolidated for you.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineSinsemilla
Stranger

#554356 - 05/09/11 06:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I have Cervantes' book, but its buried in a box in the garage somewhere right now.

On another note.

Fuck Me.

I'm trying to figure out what type of lighting system I want to use, cause I know a guy getting rid of some ballasts for a good deal. Problem is, there is SO MUCH conflicting information on lighting that I'm reading here in peoples posts.

Some people say HPS is all you need for all stages.
Some people say MH is the only way to go for flowering.
I have no idea what brands of ballasts are reliable and quality products.
I have no clue what type of features are desirable on different ballasts.
I have no clue the difference between a digital ballast and a normal ballast.
Do all digital ballasts allow switching from HPS to MH? Are there ballasts that aren't digital but can switch between the two?
I don't even know how they get wired. Can you run two bulbs off one ballast? As long as the bulbs don't exceed the ballast's rated wattage?

So so so much confusion.
Also, I'm trying to find this chart that someone mentioned about how much wattage one would need depending on grow space. Which reminds me, is having say, 2 x 400w ballasts the same as having an 800w?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #554567 - 05/10/11 04:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I don't have much time, But I'll cover what I can.  I can guarantee anyone who says that MH is the only way to go for flowering is a complete and utter moron.  MH doesn't replicate the orange and red spectrum enough to give you adequate yields.

HPS will work for all stages, but MH is better for the vegetative stage of growing.  If  your in a pinch and money is a concern, just get an HPS only ballast.  You wont be unhappy.

Sunsystem is EXTREMELY reliable.  Quality products that last.  Get your self a magnetic ballast.  They use a touch more energy, but if they break down you can repair them your self if you at all handy.

One Ballast One bulb. 

Of course they make non digital ballasts that are switchable.  Go get your book and do some reading bro.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order