Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetpop24
Stranger
New grower please help
    #529591 - 02/22/11 01:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'm new to this forum and newer to growing. I love the wealth of knowledge and the helpful attitude. I started a new undertaking and need a little help. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post and I apologize if it isn't. It's gonna be long but I tried to include some background and all the details.
Hello guys. My clock has been stuck on 4:19 for years and took my first toke as a 40 year old. WOW! What have I been missing. Like I said, I'm new to the scene and tried it with neighbors that moved. I'm new to the area and don't even have a clue where to buy any more. When they moved the gave me a half ounce and I had the bright idea to try to grow a few plants.

I nosed around on the net a little and got just enough knowledge to get started.

I took my bag seeds and stuck 6 in a shot glass, placed the seeds between a damp rag on an elevated plate in a shallow Tupperware tray with 1/4 inch of water in the bottom and placed the tray over a heating pad and covered the whole thing with the lid and a towel to keep the light out. 3 days later, 6 germinated seeds with 1" long taproots. Stuck em in cheap potting soil and bought a shop light. Grew great at first the slowed to a halt. So I returned to the net, started digging and discovered a whole new world. Shelled out some dough and got good lights, nutes, ventilation etc. They are huge now, about 6ft(vegged about 6 weeks)  with 2" buds in 3rd week of 12/12. They're a little leggy but I contribute that to the one cheap shop light. I tossed the one male as soon as it sexed.

All this got me hooked, I continued to reasearch and aquire all kinds of goodies and decided to start another grow and this time go hydro. Ordered 4 strains of quality seeds. Ams White Widow & carameliscous and barneys LSD and Nirvana NL from attitude.

I followed the same procedure as described above for germination being extra careful with water quality, ph,and cleanliness. Here is my issue, on the first grow, I just stuck em in the dish as I puffed a cig and 1" tap root on all 6 in 3 days. This grow I payed attention to everything and germed half of the seeds of each strain with plans to place into rockwool and get some mommies going so that I can use clones for my actual grow.

All the seeds except the Carameliscious popped quickly with a very short taproot. It has been 4 days since the rag and dish thing. Taproot came in 2 but has not lengthened at all, it's still just barely showing and the Caramelicious still hasn't popped.

I'm kinda lost now, the first grow they all popped and the taproot grew very quickly and I just stuck em in dirt and they grew. Now that I'm trying, they seem stalled. The temp in the tray is about 80 with a nice layer of condensation on the lid. I modified the lid where the water will drip to the sides of the plate so as not to overwet the rag.

I need help with my next step. Do different strains germinate at different rates? Do I wait for the root to develop a little more on the ones that have popped or do I go ahead and set them in the rockwool? I'm using a flood and drain for the seedlings and will keep the mommies in it indefinitely. The clones are going into a aeroponic/fogponic system. Why has one strain not germinated at all? (ALL the seeds sunk in the shotglass.) Am I missing something or just impatient?

One more thing, the taproots appear to come out of one end and looked as if they were trying to curl back to the other end of the seed, which end goes down into the rockwool? The end it appeared from or the end it appears to be reaching for?

I know this was long and drawn out but I just wanted to set the stage. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: New grower please help [Re: tpop24]
    #529604 - 02/22/11 02:23 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Could be the rockwool giving you shit. From what I've heard and experienced its pretty touchy. Fuckin ph.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineCanaman
GreenThumb GreenHorn

Loc: N 5steps, S 5steps, Spin ...
Re: New grower please help [Re: RasJeph]
    #529613 - 02/22/11 03:31 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

be patient....i had 3diff strains, had 90% success with one, 10% success with another and 0% success on the other, you can have good genetics, bad genetics, all depends.

took me about a week for them too break ground, germinated with 24hours...keep at it dont try too over complicate anything, it is a plant after all they have grown in the wild with no human help for thousands of years

--------------------

Canaman's Tutorials

ISO Green Oil
Gumby Hash

OfflineShroomofdoom
Menace 2 Society
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: New grower please help [Re: Canaman]
    #529634 - 02/22/11 05:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Welcome to the growery! glad ya found cannabis, better late then never right?

How I use rockwool is as soon as I see taproot popping out I put them into rockwool and under light.

I put the end of the seed that doesnt have the taproot coming out into rockwool. Just be careful when pushing the seed down into it, dont wanna hurt the taproot. Ya some seeds just wont crack, could be old seeds.

Edited by Shroomofdoom (02/22/11 05:34 PM)

Invisiblestarrider

Re: New grower please help [Re: Shroomofdoom]
    #531457 - 02/28/11 03:00 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I use rapid rooter to germinate. Just stick the seed in and watch it grow. and yes to your question. All starins grow differently. At least that is what I found out.

--------------------
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything  I write is a lie. Any picture I post is a fake. I only write for entertainment.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds