Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

What is stopping you?
    #517346 - 01/22/11 10:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If you wouldnt go to hell, if you wouldn't get in trouble of any kind, what would be stopping you?
would you kill? would you steal? would you love? Would anything matter? Why do we even have morals? Who's to say whats right or wrong? what if what we have always thought to be right, is actually wrong?
The reason people think the way they do is because of what you've been thought, through punishments.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
Re: What is stopping you? [Re: iStoner] * 2
    #517347 - 01/22/11 11:02 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

iStoner said:
If you wouldnt go to hell, if you wouldn't get in trouble of any kind, what would be stopping you?
would you kill? would you steal? would you love? Would anything matter? Why do we even have morals? Who's to say whats right or wrong? what if what we have always thought to be right, is actually wrong?
The reason people think the way they do is because of what you've been thought, through punishments.

I don't believe in hell or anything like that.

I have morals, but I don't know how or why.

I'd imagine it has something to do with LOVE. The beauty of life and the exploration of consciousness that I choose to be kind to others.

If I hurt others, I hurt myself. We are all one.

So my good nature is in a sense just self pleasure.

Peace, bro.
:aum:

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: What is stopping you? [Re: iStoner]
    #517351 - 01/22/11 11:06 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Good to see you finally tried shrooms

--------------------

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
Re: What is stopping you? [Re: T-Rex]
    #517352 - 01/22/11 11:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:
Good to see you finally tried shrooms

Is he on mushrooms right now? :rofl2:

Good times.:mushroom2:

--------------------

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: What is stopping you? [Re: FRACTALife]
    #517360 - 01/22/11 11:59 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'd type a decent response to this if I was on a computer and had a keyboard.

Ill just wait until someone posts thoughts similar to mine and quote it.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

Re: What is stopping you? [Re: still beLIEve]
    #517367 - 01/23/11 12:55 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

death is a nesscessary cycle... for those who deserve it.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#517371 - 01/23/11 01:03 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

iStoner said:
The reason people think the way they do is because of what you've been taught, through punishments.

?

And when you say "get in trouble of any kind", do you mean with the law or god?

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineE99Energy
Evil E~tard

Re: What is stopping you? [Re: King Koopa]
    #517386 - 01/23/11 01:44 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

you can't know what heaven is without hell. why else would satan want to take it over? but i don't believe in the devil just stupid people.

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: What is stopping you? [Re: E99Energy]
    #517387 - 01/23/11 01:45 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

:facepalm:

--------------------

OfflineeNtranceAsexit
Bang-a-Bang-Boogie

#517404 - 01/23/11 02:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

istoner, you are taking sides.

at least e99energy isn't...

Offlineganja girl
Stranger Danger
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty-ish, South
    #517467 - 01/23/11 09:40 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

iStoner said:

Exactly.

--------------------

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: What is stopping you? [Re: ganja girl]
    #517491 - 01/23/11 10:51 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I hope you're not trying to preach some kind of "Without religion we wouldn't have morals" type shit...

We have morals whether we're religious or not, it's up to the individual to decide if they want to follow them or not. I'm an atheist, I don't believe in a Heaven, or a Hell, I try to be the best person I can be and I don't need a threat of eternal suffering to make me want to do that. It's sad to see people who feel like they need to be threatened and controlled to act like fucking human beings, whether it's by the law, or by "God".

Also, if you're interested, read a book called The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, I'm actually just about half way through it on audiobook. Whether you're a theist or an atheist, there are some very valid arguments and data in that book. It's given potential explanations (that actually make sense) that I didn't even think were possible, even how morality, love, etc can be explained by evolution. Look up Richard Dawkins on Youtube if you'd like too, very interesting guy.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: What is stopping you? [Re: Cage]
    #517501 - 01/23/11 11:40 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Well according to the Freudian school of thought there are 3 parts of the brain, the ID(totally in the unconscious), The ego(partly conscious and partly unconscious), and the super-ego (Which travels throughout all 3 layers of consciousness, Unconscious, Preconscious, and conscious) According to this theory our ID is our most primitive thought and requires instant gratification regardless of the action. i.e. Something tells you to kill somebody cause you want a lot of money thats your ID. Your ego then is what works to keep your ID in check. It still focuses to please the ID but it conforms to societies standards and tell the ID that killing that person isn't acceptable by society. The Super-ego works in the same way as the ego, but it includes right and wrong and morals and can be influenced by outside stimuli, i.e. parents, teachers etc.

TL;DR version-according to Freud all our morals and choices between right and wrong are stored in our super-ego and the super-ego and ego work to keep the ID in check, which calls for instant self-gratification.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: What is stopping you? [Re: jkell]
    #517504 - 01/23/11 11:54 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I pride myself on not having to rely on an imaginative being to feel secure with my morals.  I try to live by the golden rule.  I don't want to be killed, i don't want to be lied to, I do want people to love me, etc.  I have a copy of that book, the God Delusion, it's pretty good.  Not sure it really helped me with this kind of question though.  It's been a while since i've read it. 

I used to think that church was good, in that it does provide a framework for decent morales, but it's also very fucking hypocritical.  Love everyone that thinks the same way as you.  If they don't believe the same thing they go to hell, so it's your obligation to try to convert them?  No fucking thanks.  I'm goign to be just fine without your church. 

"I'm the one who's got to die when it's time for me to die.  So let me live my life - the way I want to."

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: What is stopping you? [Re: eNtranceAsexit]
    #517532 - 01/23/11 01:42 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

eNtranceAsexit said:
istoner, you are taking sides.

at least e99energy isn't...

that face palm was to a couple different people.

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#517540 - 01/23/11 02:26 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Ive read this thread before

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Offlinemellowfellow

#517542 - 01/23/11 02:29 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

It doesn't take religion to learn that stealing is wrong, that harming your fellow man is also harmful to yourself, that helping others in need is also helpful to you. All of the lessons of the bible are also learnable through the human experience. That's how we came up with them in the first place.

--------------------

OfflineShaggy420
Male

Re: What is stopping you? [Re: mellowfellow]
    #517547 - 01/23/11 02:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

science > religion

:thumbup:

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: What is stopping you? [Re: Shaggy420]
    #517554 - 01/23/11 02:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I just try to be a good person. Not because I have to. Not because people expect it. Not because I want to get in heaven, or other religious reasons. I do it because its the right thing to do. I do it because I want people to treat me the same. I think if people generally looked out for the well being of others in day to day actions the world would be a better place.

And It has nothing to do with punishment. I do what I want regardless of the punishement. But I wont do anything that I think is detrimental  to people or society.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

Offlinemellowfellow

Re: What is stopping you? [Re: Shaggy420]
    #517556 - 01/23/11 02:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

science = religion

I firmly believe that if we had all of the answers then we'd realize that everyone was talking about the same thing just in vastly different terms. Instead of focusing on the likenesses between ideas we focus and embolden the differences. When I speak of "God" I refer to the universe, the logos. It's not exactly the same as their personified deity, but it allows us to exchange ideas without automatically shutting the other off. I don't know. It's fucking cold outside.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order