Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineE99Energy
Evil E~tard

Crazy light ??
    #516036 - 01/20/11 06:54 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I accidently put a 400w Mh in a 600w ballast. The light worked but got so bright the light burned out right away. Im going the opposite way and asking if i can use a higher watt bulb in a lower watt ballast? if so would the bulb last longer instead of burning out right away?

Edited by E99Energy (01/20/11 07:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomofdoom
Menace 2 Society
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Crazy light ?? [Re: E99Energy]
    #516050 - 01/20/11 08:14 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thats weird that it burned out, I have a 400 watt hps in a 600w switchable ballast. Is your ballast switchable? So your wondering if you could put like 1000W bulb in your 600w ballast? that I am not sure. Could of been your ballast is for hps and not MH's im not sure.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#516110 - 01/20/11 11:11 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

E99Energy said:
I accidently put a 400w Mh in a 600w ballast. The light worked but got so bright the light burned out right away. Im going the opposite way and asking if i can use a higher watt bulb in a lower watt ballast? if so would the bulb last longer instead of burning out right away?

It is a bad idea to go higher/lower than the ballast is made to function.  Sometimes you will have immediate failures and other times it will just take a while.  Wattage is only one thing the ballast controls to make the lamp function correctly.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineE99Energy
Evil E~tard

Re: Crazy light ?? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #516447 - 01/20/11 09:26 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yeah my ballast is switchable i quess i just want to know if my light will last longer on a higher wattage bulb.

Edited by E99Energy (01/20/11 09:27 PM)

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#516494 - 01/20/11 10:29 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Not if it is higher than what it is rated for.  Going higher or lower will lessen lifespan.

Incandescent bulbs are much different, but those are only used by the desperate.If you run a 130V lamp on a 120v system it will last longer.  Dimming a 100w lamp to 50w level will make it last 2-3x as long.  But that is because incandescent require heat for light.  If you make them run at cooler than rated temps they will last a long time.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #516624 - 01/21/11 08:48 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

yeah my ballast is switchable i quess i just want to know if my light will last longer on a higher wattage bulb.

Switchable ballasts simply means you can run either a MH or a HPS lamp.  It has nothing to do with running higher or lower wattage lamps in your ballast.  Buy the lamp that is meant for your ballast, if you have a 400 watt ballast you need a 400 watt bulb.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineE99Energy
Evil E~tard

Re: Crazy light ?? [Re: coda]
    #516935 - 01/21/11 11:31 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

Switchable ballasts simply means you can run either a MH or a HPS lamp.  It has nothing to do with running higher or lower wattage lamps in your ballast.  Buy the lamp that is meant for your ballast, if you have a 400 watt ballast you need a 400 watt bulb.

that takes the fun out of experimenting

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #517060 - 01/22/11 09:16 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If you want to experiment with shit that has the potential to burn your house down, so be it.  I will not let you advise other members to do the same.  When it comes to electric equipment you do not "experiment".  You do it fucking right.

So, to all of our members out there who don't want to see their house go up in flames: Stick with the appropriate wattage lamp for your ballast.

I can't stress the importance of electrical safety enough.  Never overload your circuits, don't fuck around with wiring if you're not qualified, and always use the appropriate equipment for the job.  I can post links to hundreds of growers who got busted because they came home to the fire department putting out their blaze and carrying out their grow.

It'd be a damn shame to see one of our members experience that because of piss poor advice to "experiment" with electrical equipment.

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#517074 - 01/22/11 09:45 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I agree; although, the information I provided about incandescent lighting is safe and a part of marketing done by the big 3 (Philips, GE, Sylvania) for over 30 years.  With incandescent lighting there are definite savings and advantages over under powering lights, the exact opposite is true of overpowering them.

Otherwise, there is no good reason to be fucking around with fluorescent and HID lighting.  Both can cause serious damage if used improperly.  Both also have enough mainstream options that you can buy whatever you are trying to accomplish by shirt-cutting a system.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #517106 - 01/22/11 10:36 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

True, and there is also now the option of dimmable ballasts.  I just picked up a new 600 that's dimmable down to 400 watts or so.  It works too, I just don't see the point in it hehe.

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#517177 - 01/22/11 04:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
True, and there is also now the option of dimmable ballasts.  I just picked up a new 600 that's dimmable down to 400 watts or so.  It works too, I just don't see the point in it hehe.

Some of those dimmable ballasts still use the original wattage, only lowering the current supplied to the lamp.  Thus only giving a change in visible light and still costing the same on electrical bill.  Others have a ballast factor that decreases rapidly when dimmed.  I never recommend them to customers.  The ballasts are more expensive and often other devices need updated, such as the controllers (wall switches).

To be honest, I am slowly converting all of my customers that use 400w and lower to LED.  Prices have come down far enough that energy paybacks are getting quicker.

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #517202 - 01/22/11 05:24 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm currently using about 300 watts of CFL and plan on switching to a switchable 400w soon.  It will cost me around $200 with air cooled hood and all.  Are there any LED options in that price range that can compete with the 400w that you would recommend?

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #517215 - 01/22/11 06:04 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Some of those dimmable ballasts still use the original wattage, only lowering the current supplied to the lamp.  Thus only giving a change in visible light and still costing the same on electrical bill.  Others have a ballast factor that decreases rapidly when dimmed.

That's interesting, I'll have to do some research on this.  I really don't know much about this dimmable technology.  It's all fairly new, at least to me, and this is the first ballast I've owned that uses it.  Honestly if I had the choice between a dimmable and one that's not, I'd choose the one that's not.  I see no point in it honestly, if you want a 400 watt light buy a 400 watt light.  I'm sure there are a few practical applications for using a dimmable ballast, but for me and a lot of other small cabinet growers we just need maximum light for our space.  I will say the sticker price on the ballast shocked the shit out of me, after tax they wanted to stick me with a 310$ dollar tab.  Luckily I have a good relationship with the shop owners and the dropped it down to 240 after tax.  Still a lot more then I wanted to pay for it but it was the only 600 they had in the store.

Quote:

To be honest, I am slowly converting all of my customers that use 400w and lower to LED.

Really?  That's kind of surprising to me.  The only LED grow logs I've read that made them seem worth it used LED arrays that cost in the thousands of dollars.  I really do see the future headed towards LED lighting, the technology has come a very long way in an extremely short period of time.  However, all the LED arrays I've seen in the price range of a 400-600 watt setup have produced absolutely pathetic grows IMO.  I've seen people produce bigger buds and better yields with a 250 watt HPS then the comparable LED arrays.

I could see maybe suggesting an LED setup over a CFL array, but HID?  I'll take my HPS lamp over an LED array any day of the week.  It's just my opinion, but I really don't feel like you would do better using LED's over a 400 watt HPS.

Thanks again for the heads up on the dimmable stuff, I definitely need to check into that.

--------------------

OfflineE99Energy
Evil E~tard

#517338 - 01/22/11 10:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

My house is completly made of cement you can't burn it down so i will fucking experiment. the basement was used during WW1 and 2 as a bomb shelter. Hey cool we brought up LED in this thread. The only use for that shit is side lighting for lower buds when your plant gets too tall. You even could'nt knock my grow room door open with C4. but that does'nt matter i leave it open for co2 exchange. If there was a nuke which there are so many to blow up whatever we want. The plants will keep you alive from fallout. Once you know how to recycle your piss with a bowl, cup, and suranwrap its a cakewalk. Marijuana produces more oxygen then any other plant. whats the point in growing if you don't have a bomb shelter? your just going to get in trouble. with something called protogrow and a special chemical you can grow plants without light. CRAZY huh. all you need to do is spay yor plant with the chem and fertilize with protogrow.

Edited by E99Energy (01/22/11 11:05 PM)

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
    #517348 - 01/22/11 11:02 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

E99Energy said:
My house is completly made of cement you can't burn it down so i will fucking experiment. the basement was used during WW1 and 2 as a bomb shelter. Hey cool we brought up LED in this thread. The only use for that shit is side lighting for lower buds when your plant gets too tall. You even could'nt knock my grow room door open with C4. but that does'nt matter i leave it open for co2 exchange. If there was a nuke which there are so many to blow up whatever we want. The plants will keep you alive from fallout. Once you know how to recycle your piss with a bowl, cup, and suranwrap its a cakewalk. Marijuana produces more oxygen then any other plant. whats the point in growing if you don't have a bomb shelter? your just going to get in trouble. with something called protogrow and a special chemical you can grow plants without light. CRAZY huh.

Wow, nice melt. These guys are warning you not to burn down your house, and your taking it like they just gave you mum a rimjob. Settle down and take some advice man
:twobooks:

--------------------

OfflineE99Energy
Evil E~tard

Re: Crazy light ?? [Re: T-Rex]
    #517358 - 01/22/11 11:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

what can i say im proud of my house. can't say the same for those that make the nukes. your going to burn your house down anyway if your a grower and don't stay at your house 24/7. If your a grower and you got to leave your house hire someone to stay there. It won't really matter if your messing around with light because someone should always be at your house if your growing. IF your not doing that shut your mouth & stay sober. know where your extinguisher is! I know all because i was a firefighter for DND im proud of that too. If i was growing i doubt i would be too proud of that...unless i was helping sick people. If your messing around with light and you leave your house unatended you deserve to have your house burn down

Edited by E99Energy (01/23/11 12:29 AM)

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#517401 - 01/23/11 02:43 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:

I could see maybe suggesting an LED setup over a CFL array, but HID? 

95% of my customers are international manufacturers and domestic institutions.  Almost nothing I sell is for growing.  That market is saturated with a lot of 2nd rate equipment selling at desperate prices, so I have no interest in it.

Going a step further, I agree with you about LED for growing purposes.  I think they are currently too limited in abilities and too expensive to provide adequate paybacks.  I expect that to change in about 3 years.  They are getting better, but not nearly as quickly as early adopters and enthusiasts have hoped.

--------------------

OfflineE99Energy
Evil E~tard

#517425 - 01/23/11 05:28 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Going a step further, I agree with you about LED for growing purposes.  I think they are currently too limited in abilities and too expensive to provide adequate paybacks.  I expect that to change in about 3 years.  They are getting better, but not nearly as quickly as early adopters and enthusiasts have hoped.

I think in the future the better LED models will be more expensive and you will be right back were you started for adequate paybacks. maybe there might be a plasma bubble that tightly wraps around your plant. they are making the plasma bubble right now for stealth airplanes to make them 100% undetectable by all radar frequency. you would be growing plants with a plasma bubble controlled by a computer the detects the size of your plants for perfect wrap around. Im pretty sure they are working on the radar that lets them know how many plants you have.

Edited by E99Energy (01/23/11 05:59 AM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #517482 - 01/23/11 10:16 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

95% of my customers are international manufacturers and domestic institutions.  Almost nothing I sell is for growing.  That market is saturated with a lot of 2nd rate equipment selling at desperate prices, so I have no interest in it.

Hahah!  I'm sorry, I just assumed you ran a grow shop there my man!  Yes, in that case LED arrays are totally more efficient and cheaper then low powered HID's.  I apologize for the assumption!  Looks like you're doing some good there, 2nd rate HID equipment would scare the living piss out of me.

--------------------

OfflineBigBudz
USA Mind Controls You!
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
    #517610 - 01/23/11 05:10 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

LED's are decent for growing, but beware. A 300W unit costs 600 USD. That is a lot of damn money. But supposedly the 300W works as well as a 600W, more like it works as good as a 450W honestly.

If you had a huge op, you could order LED in bulk for veg; but what is so bad about metal halides? Besides the fact you use less power, but for a smart commercial operation you go with industrial land and power rates.

--------------------
Art Music Music 2 Music 3

You are most likely being mind controlled if you live in the USA. The technology was discovered back in the late 1980's. You can easily see weird towers on government buildings...
http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm#mindcontrol

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom