Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebobbob1
Stranger

Big Noob Has Some Questions
    #516034 - 01/20/11 06:43 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

HI, I want to start growing MJ but I need to know some information first,
first question: can I place germinated seeds in the final big pot so I would not have to re-pot?
second question: I have bought Blue Mystic Feminized seeds and it says 8/9 weeks flowering, does this mean the whole grow take 8/9 weeks or is vegging counted seperatley? and if yes how long does vegging and flowering take?

THANKS

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlackstatis
Stranger

Re: Big Noob Has Some Questions [Re: bobbob1]
    #516089 - 01/20/11 10:29 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Q1... can you put a seed in the ground outside(a.k.a. the biggest pot ever) with no negative effects... 

Q2... flowering means flowering.  ...unless you bought autoflowering seeds.  you can veg for as long as you want.  most people do a 1 month veg and 2 month flower.  but the longer you veg the more flowers you'll have.

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: Big Noob Has Some Questions [Re: bobbob1]
    #516626 - 01/21/11 09:02 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You can plant a seedling into its final pot size but I'm pretty sure transplanting from smaller pot sizes helps encourage the roots grow, and larger roots = larger/happier plant's. And it also helps manage the amount of water/nutrients they get, because with a bigger pot and smaller roots you can never really tell how big they've grown and where they are in comparison to the edges of the pot.

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Big Noob Has Some Questions [Re: T-Rex]
    #516667 - 01/21/11 12:16 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:
You can plant a seedling into its final pot size but I'm pretty sure transplanting from smaller pot sizes helps encourage the roots grow, and larger roots = larger/happier plant's. And it also helps manage the amount of water/nutrients they get, because with a bigger pot and smaller roots you can never really tell how big they've grown and where they are in comparison to the edges of the pot.

You might want to check this info.  I can understand a desire to be able to detect root mass size, but restricting roots will not cause a boost in growth.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Big Noob Has Some Questions [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #516738 - 01/21/11 06:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

No you're right about that, sorry for the wording, I was pretty high when I wrote that out and re-wrote it a few times but couldn't find the words I was looking for. What I meant was that keeping the plants in a pot relative to the size of the roots helps deliver water/nutrient directly to them, just outside their reach to help encourage them to grow?

I might be wrong again, Crayola has many years more experience than me I am sure of that, so if he's correcting me on anything than please take his advice over mine, I'm still learning myself:smile:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Big Noob Has Some Questions [Re: T-Rex]
    #516740 - 01/21/11 06:12 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

There are several advantages to transplanting opposed to planting in your final container.

1.) By going from small to large you promote a dense, compact, rootball.  More root mass = larger plants = bigger yields (if you want big plants).  Also a heavy root system allows your plants more access to food without burning them out.

2.) It's harder to over water which is a big problem newbies have with cultivation.  You can still overwater plants in smaller containers, but, since you don't have as much soil as you would in a larger pot the soil drys more quickly and allows the roots to breathe better

3.) Your soil won't turn into concrete before it gets filled with roots.  Constant re-watering of soil containers will cause the soil to become more compact as time goes on.  This makes it harder for the root system to penetrate the soil and fill out the container.

IMO it's always best to start in a smaller cup and move up to a larger.  Even if you only do one transplant getting that nice tight rootball is a big key in producing large juicy buds.  Currently I go from root cube, to solo cup, to 2 gallon pots. 

Works well for me :smile:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Big Noob Has Some Questions [Re: coda]
    #516742 - 01/21/11 06:18 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Well there we go haha, all the info we need:awesomenod:

Good man, Coda! :bongload:

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Big Noob Has Some Questions [Re: coda]
    #517082 - 01/22/11 09:59 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
There are several advantages to transplanting opposed to planting in your final container.

1.) By going from small to large you promote a dense, compact, rootball.  More root mass = larger plants = bigger yields (if you want big plants).  Also a heavy root system allows your plants more access to food without burning them out.

2.) It's harder to over water which is a big problem newbies have with cultivation.  You can still overwater plants in smaller containers, but, since you don't have as much soil as you would in a larger pot the soil drys more quickly and allows the roots to breathe better

3.) Your soil won't turn into concrete before it gets filled with roots.  Constant re-watering of soil containers will cause the soil to become more compact as time goes on.  This makes it harder for the root system to penetrate the soil and fill out the container.

IMO it's always best to start in a smaller cup and move up to a larger.  Even if you only do one transplant getting that nice tight rootball is a big key in producing large juicy buds.  Currently I go from root cube, to solo cup, to 2 gallon pots. 

Works well for me :smile:

I disagree on all three points.  You make good statements, but I find the applications of them to not jive with my reality.  Perhaps I am confused about the length of development in small pots that you are implying?

1)  A large root mass is great for plant health; however, no one (that I am aware of) has proven a compact root system is ideal.  In fact, everything that I have ever read and tried indicated that tight root balls can be hard to recover from when transplanting.  Energy redirected from green growth to root growth stunts and slows the process.  In high-school horticulture call we called it getting "root bound", I am not sure what the current term is. 

2)  I think careful watering and proper soil structure makes this a non-issue.  I would rather practice good habits than build in crutches that could slow me down elsewhere. 

3)  Same as #2.  My soil never concretes and is always built to last the entire season with minimal application of ferts.

I will admit that I tend to start in small pots if I am growing something inside, but that is to maximize the use of electricity I put in to lighting.  I will normally transplant only once in those instances and that is shortly after visible roots meets the pot edges or the plants drip line extends past the pot edge, whichever is first.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Big Noob Has Some Questions [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #517100 - 01/22/11 10:30 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

1)  A large root mass is great for plant health; however, no one (that I am aware of) has proven a compact root system is ideal.  In fact, everything that I have ever read and tried indicated that tight root balls can be hard to recover from when transplanting.  Energy redirected from green growth to root growth stunts and slows the process.  In high-school horticulture call we called it getting "root bound", I am not sure what the current term is. 

The point isn't to have the plant end up with a compact root system, but rather have a tight root mass so that when it hits the bigger container it has more points of entry into the new soil.  Think of it like this, if you transplant a clone that has a small handful of two inch roots into a 5 gallon pot, or transplant a clone that has 5 inch tall 2 inch wide root mass into a 5 gallon container, which do you think would take off faster and uptake nutrients water better?

Root bound means the plants roots have taken up all possible space in the container and have no more area to grow in.  This takes a long, long, time to occur.  I've never seen it explained any other way.

Quote:

I think careful watering and proper soil structure makes this a non-issue.  I would rather practice good habits than build in crutches that could slow me down elsewhere.

In a perfect world I totally agree!  Doing things right is the only way.  Just like to point this out though, how many newbies do you know of that do it right the first time?  Someone who's never seen a cannabis plant, never had a house plant or garden, do you expect them to nail down soil structure and watering properly on their first time?  That's why I specifically said:

Quote:

It's harder to over water which is a big problem newbies have with cultivation.

So yup I totally agree with you.  However until you really know your shit it's better to start of small and work up.  In fact most every grow bible or guide I can think of advises this.  It's perfectly acceptable to plant in your final container, it's just easier for newbs to transplant and learn the process.

Quote:

Same as #2.  My soil never concretes and is always built to last the entire season with minimal application of ferts.

Same reason as above.  I wouldn't expect someone brand new to cultivation to be able to build a proper soil structure on their first grow.  There are always exceptions to the rule, but they definitely make up the minority of newbie growers.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order