Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKybish

Any recommendations for a quiet fan?
    #51092 - 06/04/08 09:03 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I'm building a small cab for a friend this summer and I'm starting to think up plans for the ventilation.

The box will be roughly 5 ft3, lit by ~200w of CFL's, and contain around 32 budding plants at a time (all of which are put straight to flower after becoming about 1.5 inches tall).

So my question is, what kind of ventilation setup would you recommend?

My two concerns are smell and sound; I need the fan(s) to be close to absolutely quiet and take care of all odors.

Right now I'm leaning towards some PC fans with a DIY carbon scrubber and, if needed, a DIY muffler. If you agree with PC fans, any suggestions of something quiet yet powerful?

Thanks!

--------------------
Damn do I love my herbs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: Any recommendations for a quiet fan? [Re: Kybish]
    #51409 - 06/04/08 11:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I'd say that a couple pc fans would be good. Put some on both sides with one side blowing and one side sucking so you get a stream effect. But it's going to get hot in that grow box. You may have to just suck it up and get a miniature squirrel cage fan. And almost all PC fans are built equal unless you get some of the larger ones for custom holes like the some large 8 inchers.

OfflineKybish

Re: Any recommendations for a quiet fan? [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #51415 - 06/04/08 11:50 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I was under the impression squirrel cages are quite loud, if I was to getting something other then a pc fan, wouldn't something like an inline be better?

--------------------
Damn do I love my herbs

OfflineBlargIAmDead

#51420 - 06/04/08 11:59 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well with the CFLs in there it's going to get warm but not scorching. I have mine in a closet and if I don't open the door and use a pretty good sized fan it gets up to 86 degrees. Course I have the thermostat at 80. And squirrel cages are loud. Really don't know what to tell you here man. Sorry.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any recommendations for a quiet fan? [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #51572 - 06/05/08 10:00 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

any high powered fan is going to make noise, there is no way around it.  There might be some that are quieter then others, but they all do make some sort of noise.  You can always buy insulated ducting and build a damping box around the fan if you want.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #51573 - 06/05/08 10:02 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

A couple of computer fans should be all you need - that isn't a lot of volume. That will at least take care of your sound concerns. Add more fans if necessary. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinepong
Male User Gallery

Re: Any recommendations for a quiet fan? [Re: Sirius]
    #51792 - 06/05/08 04:10 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

is an inline fan enough to use to push air through a carbon filter?

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=46447

i am thinking of doing a small cab too.

--------------------
MARIJUANNNANNANNNANNNANNNANNANNANNNNNANANANAAAAAAAAA!!!!

MY GROW

OfflineEnd Game
Shroomerite
Male

Re: Any recommendations for a quiet fan? [Re: pong]
    #51889 - 06/05/08 06:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Panasonic whisper fans are about the quietest I've heard.  They run around 100 bucks for an 80 CFM fan, the FV-08VQ3.

OfflineKybish

Re: Any recommendations for a quiet fan? [Re: End Game]
    #52185 - 06/06/08 12:35 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

End Game said:
Panasonic whisper fans are about the quietest I've heard.  They run around 100 bucks for an 80 CFM fan, the FV-08VQ3.

heard a lot of bad feedback about them; something about the fans getting louder and louder as time goes on. Supposedly just as loud as any other fan after 1 to 1.5 years.

I'm prolly gunna go with the computer fans (1 intake, 3 exhaust) and, per Sirius's suggestion, add more as needed.

Pong: look at the cfm rating of the carbon filter, make sure you use a fan with less cfm then the filter or the air won't have enough time to deodorize through the carbon. Just about any fan will blow through just about any carbon filter, just don't get a ridiculously big one and expect a computer fan to blow air through it efficiently.

--------------------
Damn do I love my herbs

Edited by Kybish (06/06/08 12:37 AM)

OfflineEnd Game
Shroomerite
Male

#52208 - 06/06/08 01:18 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kybish said:
heard a lot of bad feedback about them; something about the fans getting louder and louder as time goes on. Supposedly just as loud as any other fan after 1 to 1.5 years.

That's the first I've heard of that issue and couldn't find any more info on it.  If you could hit me back with a link I'd love to find out if it's gonna be a problem before I get one.

OfflineKybish

Re: Any recommendations for a quiet fan? [Re: End Game]
    #52224 - 06/06/08 02:24 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Sure thing:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=80073&highlight=whisperline
and
http://www.rollitup.org/grow-room-design-setup/46563-there-way-make-my-inline.html

I can't find it but I've seen another post by someone who actually works in some sort of construction that involves bathrooms, and they said they commonly get complaints about the whisperlines becoming louder and louder.

A guy in the first thread said his whisperline sounded louder then his squirrel cage after just 6 months!!

After doing a little more searching, I think I'm going to go with an axial fan or two.

--------------------
Damn do I love my herbs

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #52465 - 06/06/08 02:10 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

well, um, duh? hehe, ANY fan will get louder with use.  Especially fans you leave running for extended period of time.  Also, as time wears on, the fans will also stop operating as efficiently before and start producing below their normal output.  Your motor and whatever is used to run the blades of the fan will need some cleaning after a while.  Eventually whatever lubricant they use will begin to wear away.  My hydro shop guy says a normal squirrel cage fan should be maintained once a year to ensure it will operate as efficiently as possible.

Which reminds me i need to oil and clean out my squirrel cage fan when i get back.  Doesn't seem to be pulling as hard as it used to.

--------------------

OfflineKybish

Re: Any recommendations for a quiet fan? [Re: coda]
    #52566 - 06/06/08 06:05 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

hmm  :strokebeard:, I guess I might give the whiperline another chance if it can be cleaned back to an acceptable level.

--------------------
Damn do I love my herbs

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #52596 - 06/06/08 06:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i can't vouch for the validity of cleaning the panasonic fans, i've never owned one.    But, cleaning any fan and oiling the moving parts will help reduce vibration and noise.  Whether or not this will make the panasonic fan sound as quiet as it is brand new is up in the air.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies