Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOMG_its_Big_Cheeze
Stranger
New set up (now with illustrations)
    #503838 - 12/08/10 02:39 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'm setting up my first indoor grow room and I think I pretty much know what I want as far as lights go but I need someone whos not a grow shop sales man and also more experienced than me to tell me what they think.

• 4'x6' hydro farm tent with reflective interior (only thing I already have)

• 3 x 600w HPS systems w/ halide conversion bulbs for veg, PL 65 degree midi reflectors w/ PL air cooled hoods (http://www.pllight.com/horticultural/products/reflectors.php)

• One environment exhaust fan and and one fan for the lights and one circulation fan, no idea how big theses fans should be but I know that it would be better to go too big than too small cuz I can always uses a voltage meter controller

• Solatel Plant Pro environment controller and I plan to use co2 after I know for sure I'll have temperatures under control and wont have to run my exhaust fans 24/7

Also, I've heard mixed results about water cooled lights.  I know of 2 kinds. First,  One that has a double walled, cylindrical, glass water jacket encompassing the bulb that absorbs heat by passing water between the two layers.  Second, one that has a "chiller" thing basically is like blowing an air condition right into your lighting system.  I think the first one would be better at getting rid of het but I'm worried  that the two layers of glass and one layer of water plus any algae that might form would make it not worth the heat savings. But the second, I wonder If I can take that chiller thing and hook it up to any air cooled hood?  Then I could use my uber-wicked PLs with an air conditioner! Over the top or good idea what do ya'all think?

--------------------

Edited by OMG_its_Big_Cheeze (12/11/10 01:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: New set up [Re: OMG_its_Big_Cheeze]
    #503865 - 12/08/10 06:56 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Everything sounds good. I'd use the water cooled lights. There should be no algae build up cause the water is always moving plus there are things that can be put in the water to keep the algae from building up. :potleaf:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Stranger
Re: New set up [Re: Magash]
    #504176 - 12/09/10 03:07 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/135088-water-cooled-grow-lights-3.html#post8966887

Read post # 33

I agree that these water cooled lights sound really good, but this post pretty much confirms all the doubts I had for it.

Even if water cooled lights do work great for cooling, after moving them closer to the canopy, your not going the get the right light  spread or any light penetration into the canopy. The PL 65 degree midi reflector is designed for a 2'x4' space with about one foot of light penetration into the canopy, so you can see that 3 will fit my 4x6' tent perfect, this is why i'm trying to brainstorm ways to use the best of both worlds
I had an idea of hooking a portable air condition right up to the air ducting for my lights.  I could maybe have a regular fan and the ac unit converging into a 2 to 1 duct and if the temps get to high, the ac will turn on, inside the lights, instead of air conditioning the whole room, I'd just focus all the cooling energy on the actual heat source itself.

btw, I live in the northern california valley, not sure what my temp situation will be like w/ 3x600w lights. the air cooled hoods PL makes are supposed to be the best so I might be ok with just a regular air cooled system but I want to have a back up plan.

--------------------

Edited by OMG_its_Big_Cheeze (12/09/10 03:25 AM)

Stranger

Re: New set up (edit: now with illustrations) [Re: OMG_its_Big_Cheeze]
    #504779 - 12/11/10 01:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Now im thinking I might partition the thing with plywood and mylar and have any area for budding plants w/ 600s or a 1000w im not sure,  an area for babies and mothers/vegging plants.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: New set up (edit: now with illustrations) [Re: OMG_its_Big_Cheeze]
    #504821 - 12/11/10 03:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Myself I'd still use the water cooled lights and use the fans for ventilation. Seems way more efficient then hooking up a ac to the lights

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Stranger

Re: New set up (edit: now with illustrations) [Re: Magash]
    #504874 - 12/11/10 11:50 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Myself I'd still use the water cooled lights and use the fans for ventilation. Seems way more efficient then hooking up a ac to the lights

The ac thing was just an idea, but i hear the air cooled hood PL makes is extremely effective so I'm doubtful heat will be a problem.  My main problem with the water cooled lights is that I don't want to use just any random reflector, with PL they have the angle of illumination fields specified for each reflector, so you know your using 100% of the light emitted by each lamp to its fullest capabilities.

I was hoping someone would reply with something like "Oh, I have PLs and I use X reflector in a X' x X' space, maybe if I was starting again, I'd do this, this and this different.  :/

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder