Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCubieman
Stranger
My grow cab issues (PICS)
    #500230 - 11/23/10 12:23 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I built this grow cab small to accommodate my closet, however I didn't realize how much space I would need for all the junk that I want to stuff in it. I am going to be running a 400W HPS with a cooltube. I was wanting to hook it up like this: Scrubber->Fan->CoolTube->Out. However...I am running VERY low on space. I just got my 4" scrubber/fan today and they are huge. I was aware of this size before purchase but smell is an issue and heat will be as well so it just HAS to work somehow.

My issue is the inline fan takes up about 45% of the available ceiling space. So that means that my light will have to hang off-centered in the cab. There isn't enough room for me to hang it dead center with the fan mounted as well. I was thinking of putting the fan outside of the cab, and still may but it is VERY loud and sound is an issue as well.

Is there anyone running this setup?
Scrubber->Cooltube->Out->Fan
How well does it work for temps?

I NEED SOME IDEAS! Also, did you notice your inline fan sound quieter after hooking up all the ducting and what not? Because right now I can't use the fan it is SO damn loud.

THE PICS WITH MY CAT AND MY FEET ARE LOOKING DOWN AT THE FLOOR OF THE CAB. THE REST OF THE PICS ARE LOOKING UP AT THE CEILING OF THE CAB. THE FAN IS JUST HANGING THERE TO SHOW HOW MUCH CEILING SPACE IT TAKES UP.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: My grow cab issues (PICS) [Re: Cubieman]
    #500402 - 11/23/10 07:54 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yes once it is all hooked up it will get much quieter.

can you get pics of the space in the closet outside the box?  I would like to see what other space we are dealing with.
What are the specs on your box?
Where are you venting the air? closet, attic?

Oh and welcome to the growery

OfflineCubieman
Stranger
Re: My grow cab issues (PICS) [Re: muse42]
    #500536 - 11/24/10 10:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The cab is 3.5'(L)x1.5'(W)x5.5'(T). There is only about 2 inches of space around the cab on three sides and one side has about a foot to spare. It is really crammed in there. I plan on keeping the closet door cracked when I can, that way hot air can vent and cool air can come in. The hot air duct will be coming out the top of the cab and cool air through the bottom. I live in an apt. so both smell and noise are major issues. I will be running a 400W HPS/MH in a 6" cool tube, I have a 190cfm 4" inline fan/4" scrubber. Since I will be running 4" ducting I figure I will use some 4" to 6" adapters for the cooltube.

Offlinevaman311
Stranger
    #502273 - 12/01/10 11:22 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

When I had noise problems with my fan I just used dryer duct and a computer power supply connected to a computer fan.  Since the power supple puts out different voltage(3.3, 5, 12) you can connect the fan too which ever one you want.  The more power the more speed.  Computer fans are relatively quite too.  I hooked mine up to the 5v over 150w power supply.

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: My grow cab issues (PICS) [Re: vaman311]
    #502559 - 12/02/10 12:36 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You are not going to want to run that fan at full speed anyways with that size cab.  I have a speed controller  and I run mine on the lowest setting.  my cab is 4x1.5x5.

OfflineCubieman
Stranger
Re: My grow cab issues (PICS) [Re: muse42]
    #502834 - 12/03/10 04:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, I did buy a fan speed controller and thankfully it works with my inline. I was hoping to run it on a medium speed to keep the noise down. Today I drilled a 3&1/2" hole at the bottom of the cab for an intake. Will this be enough? I was thinking of putting a PC fan on the intake but see that many people simply run a passive intake. I sat the fan on top of the scrubber and that saved some space. I've got everything stuffed in there now, including the ducting. Time for some great tomatoes!

Offlineencryptor
Green Thumb #1
Male User Gallery

#503350 - 12/06/10 07:04 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Temps would rise high in your closet without the inline fan.  I like your plan, however I too believe it is tight.  Two plants would grow well at once.  Any more and you'll want more room.  When you start growing, grow plants like trees and prune lower branches.  They are not going to receive much light at the bottom of the box anyway once foliage starts to cover the top of the plants.  If you can replace power fuses where ever they are located (in basement), I'd make sure to be running it low, like 10amps, just in case disaster strikes like if the HID bulb envelope breaks or foolishly electrical cords are used beyond capacity.  Safety first to prevent any house fires, especially with other tenants.  Don't leave home for days without someone to watch after them.  When the light is on, you should be around. :syringe::mushroom2:

OfflineCubieman
Stranger
Re: My grow cab issues (PICS) [Re: encryptor]
    #503699 - 12/07/10 06:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I do have access to the fuse box to my apt. and last time I checked I believe the "switches" were labeled 15. But you think I need 10amp?

Offlineencryptor
Green Thumb #1
Male User Gallery

#503853 - 12/08/10 04:12 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I was thinking more or less of a fuse box, with those light bulb style sockets.  I guess 15amps is fine.  If you do the math, running a 600w HID light would consume under 5amps.  P=IV.  ---> I = P/V

I= 600w/220v = 2.7amps

current in amps = power in watts / voltage in volts:syringe::mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale