Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Protesting military funerals
    #486356 - 10/09/10 10:38 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

What's your opinion on this?  I'd like to see some vigilantes just roll up and spray these people with bullets, but our government shouldn't do shit about it.  There's a case that the Supreme court has before it (Snyder v Phelps).  Check out the link below.  I guess the ruling wont be done until spring 2011.  Lets hope they get it right this time, unlike the campaign finance ruling they made last January.  See here

If you don't know about this you can read about it here.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #486361 - 10/09/10 11:04 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I think the military is disgusting, but I think these people are even more disgusting.

Although I think that war is never the answer, these people aren't the ones suggesting we go to war.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleShr0000ooooms
Cannabis Sampler

Loc: Hindu Kush Mountains
Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: RasJeph]
    #486364 - 10/09/10 11:20 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

thats fucked up

do the dipshits even realize they're protesting violence with violence?

--------------------
If I'm posting I'm high.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: RasJeph]
    #486365 - 10/09/10 11:20 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I doubt any of them were alive during the late 30's early 40s - when hitler was trying to take over the world.  War is the only answer sometimes.  but not in the last 70 years.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineDRAGON
Doors of Perception
Male

Loc: Somewhere in the Universe
    #486366 - 10/09/10 11:23 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

More ridiculous bs coming from organized religion.  :facepalm3:

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
I doubt any of them were alive during the late 30's early 40s - when hitler was trying to take over the world.  War is the only answer sometimes.  but not in the last 70 years.

True

--------------------
"I know that I know nothing"

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: DRAGON]
    #486367 - 10/09/10 11:39 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DRAGON said:
More ridiculous bs coming from organized religion.  :facepalm3:

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:

True

I have several friend that are in iraq right now. None of  them believe in the war there but they have no choice but to be there. So what these people are doing is disgusting .. We dont have to support our idiot govts ideas but dont wish violence on the soldiers..

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #486375 - 10/09/10 12:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Christianity has spilled more blood than anyone. They have no logical reason to protest.

Perhaps they feel guilty for what their religion has done, but acting out like idiots is only going to bring more pain for themselves and others.

Typical American Christians if you ask me :justdontknow:

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #486377 - 10/09/10 12:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, you've got to be a certain kind of crazy to hold up a sign that reads "Thank God for dead soldiers."

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
    #486380 - 10/09/10 01:35 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -MLK Jr.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
    #486381 - 10/09/10 01:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
What's your opinion on this?  I'd like to see some vigilantes just roll up and spray these people with bullets, but our government shouldn't do shit about it.  There's a case that the Supreme court has before it (Snyder v Phelps).  Check out the link below.  I guess the ruling wont be done until spring 2011.  Lets hope they get it right this time, unlike the campaign finance ruling they made last January.  See here

You know what's sad is that Phelps will very likely win that case. His freedom of expression is very firmly indoctrinated in the United States Constitution and Bill of Rights. Although it's highly offensive and divisive to the wellbeing of America, his right to be that big of a cunt is inarguably protected. :feelsbadman:

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: FRACTALife]
    #486388 - 10/09/10 02:14 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yes, which makes me wonder why the supreme court would even hear the case.  seems pretty black and white to me.  phelps winning that case is exactly what should happen.  i dont think that's a sad thing.  i think the sad thing is that this case went up to the supreme court.  its just not the precedent we need to set. 

Quote:

FRACTALife said:
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -MLK Jr.

ya, we should have just pushed love energy over to axis powers in the 40s.  We'd have it made now, if we had done that.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Invisibledrawde
    #486390 - 10/09/10 02:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So many fucked up things in that equation that its hard to even comment.

At the end of the day I still say, cant we all just get along?

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: drawde]
    #486398 - 10/09/10 02:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Honestly it may have no reached the court via appeals. My guess would be the Court requested the case via writs of certiorari specifically because they feels there's a precedent that needs to be set here. I feel like nowadays this is a pretty common issue and they may have accepted this as a landmark case specifically to help quell the onslaught of lawsuits

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#486399 - 10/09/10 03:00 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:

They are the lowest form of scum on the planet in my opinion.

:minigun:

Sometimes I wish that I lived near a place where people were doing this. I would see it as fair game to go fuck with them in a very unfriendly way :uptosomething:

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: niteowl]
    #486400 - 10/09/10 03:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

they protested in my town, but they were surrounded by a wall of cops so thick you'd be crazy to attempt anything violent.

Which is really too bad, we need someone to wave hello to them with a couple Molotov's and a minigun

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #486402 - 10/09/10 03:06 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I have enough x-military friends and supporters that I bet we could get ourselves arrested while pepper spraying the lot of em :tongue2:

--------------------
-Terence McKenna-

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#486403 - 10/09/10 03:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

In March 2006, seven Westboro members picketed the Maryland funeral of Lance Corporal Matthew Snyder, who died when his humvee crashed in Iraq. The Westboro protesters flew more than 1,000 miles so they could hold signs with messages like "Thank God for Dead Soldiers," "You're Going to Hell" and "Thank God for IEDs." Matthew's father Albert Snyder, citing the physical and mental trauma that resulted from being confronted by the group at his only son's funeral, filed a lawsuit against Westboro. A jury found the church liable for intentional infliction of emotional distress, invasion of privacy and civil conspiracy, and awarded Albert $10.9 million in damages (which the trial judge later reduced to $5 million). The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, however, reversed the verdict, ruling that the First Amendment protected Westboro's speech.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2024062,00.html#ixzz11tkMu8YF

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#486405 - 10/09/10 03:20 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

When one of them dies can we go and hold signs saying "Thank god for dead Westboro church members" ?

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #486407 - 10/09/10 03:21 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

What a bunch of scum suckers  :nonono:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: DungenessDank]
    #486408 - 10/09/10 03:22 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
When one of them dies can we go and hold signs saying "Thank god for dead Westboro church members" ?

:thumbup:

That my friend is an EXCELLENT idea :strokebeard:

--------------------
-Terence McKenna-

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: niteowl]
    #486425 - 10/09/10 04:06 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

They have every right to be doing what they are doing.  There should be restrictions I think on how close you can be to said funeral but their right to protest in the way that they are is protected as it should be. 

Also these aren't "typical American chistians."  Also violence will not reach these people.  In a way they're a protest themselves against christianity, which is why so many christians are the ones wishing for their freedom of assembly and speech to be taken away.  They give christianity a worse image than it already has, and people don't like to discriminate, it's easy to generalize and lump them into christianity as a whole, when really they probably have the lowest member base of any denomination of christianity. 

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (10/09/10 04:08 PM)

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#486433 - 10/09/10 04:28 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:You know what's sad is that Phelps will very likely win that case. His freedom of expression is very firmly indoctrinated in the United States Constitution and Bill of Rights. Although it's highly offensive and divisive to the wellbeing of America, his right to be that big of a cunt is inarguably protected. :feelsbadman:

But the entire point of civil liberties, such as freedom of speech, is to protect the rights of the minority.  After all, it's not people with ideas that everyone agrees with that are most likely to be suppressed.  Making the protection of the rights of people like Phelps vitally important

PS and from the ACLU brief I read, you couldn't even see and here phelps from the funeral.  And apparently what initiated the suit was the father reading an article some days after the funeral

Here's a good read on the matter:

<<<The first time I saw those signs, with their vivid neon colors and crude images of stick figures, was 16 years ago. "Fags Die, God Laughs." "No Tears for Queers." "God Hates Fags." Like most people seeing a Westboro Baptist Church picket for the first time, I was shocked, then outraged. It happened at the funeral of a friend who had died of AIDS. Seeing those signs left me in tears.

I came out in the early 90's in Lawrence, Kansas, just 25 miles from the home of Fred Phelps and his followers. As I became increasingly involved in local lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender activism, I started seeing the Westboro picketers on a regular basis. They showed up anytime we put on an event and sometimes at completely incongruous ones — the annual production of The Nutcracker in Topeka, for example. In 1994 they traveled to my Arkansas hometown to protest at the funeral of President Clinton's mother. My mom called me, asking, "Who on earth are these crazy people from Topeka?"

Phelps was mainly known locally in those days but his views eventually started getting more national attention. He grabbed broader notice in 1998 after Matthew Shepard was brutally killed in an anti-gay hate crime in Wyoming. Shepard's murder garnered national attention and Westboro's picketers showed up at the funeral, shocking and upsetting thousands of mourners. So I wasn't at all surprised a few years ago when Phelps and his followers began picketing at the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq, nor was I surprised at the hurt and fury his presence at these heartbreaking moments caused to those who had just lost loved ones. I understood firsthand how they felt.

Many years after first seeing those signs, I started working at the American Civil Liberties Union. One of the things that becomes clear as you look at the ACLU's work over the years is that government censorship has long been used to silence unpopular minorities, including LGBT people. The ACLU's first gay rights case was in 1936, when we defended the play The Children's Hour after it was banned in Boston because of its "lesbian content." From our defense of a San Francisco publisher and bookstore owner who was charged with printing and selling indecent books for releasing Alan Ginsberg's Howl, to our case just last year standing up for the right of students at a public high school in Florida to wear rainbow t-shirts or the one this year defending Constance McMillen's right to take her girlfriend to her senior prom, we have successfully fought back when government has sought to silence LGBT people. We would have never been able to make the tremendous progress we have made in the struggle for LGBT equality without being able to talk openly about what it means to be who we are. Who can doubt that had it been up the government in the 1950's — or to many state governments today — we wouldn't be able to come out at all.

It's because you simply can't blindly trust the government with the power to censor that the First Amendment grants all Americans, regardless of their views, the right to express themselves. The ACLU has defended the free speech rights of many types of groups, from the International Society for Krishna Consciousness to the KKK. We don't do that because we agree with either. We do it because we believe in the principle, and because we realize that once you chip away at one person's rights, everyone else's are at risk. It's because of this that the ACLU submitted a friend-of-the-court brief in a case heard by the U.S. Supreme Court yesterday about an appeal being brought by Westboro Baptist Church. The appeal comes after a federal jury awarded $10.9 million (which the judge later reduced to $5 million) to the father of Matthew Snyder, a Marine whose funeral was picketed by Westboro Baptist Church. In the brief, we pointed out that the First Amendment's protection of freedom of speech guarantees that no one can be found liable for merely expressing an opinion about a matter of public concern, regardless of how hurtful those opinions might be.

I can imagine the pain and the anger that Matthew Snyder's family felt upon seeing those signs. Those feelings are real and valid, and I feel nothing but sympathy for that family's suffering. But free speech doesn't belong only to those we agree with, and the First Amendment doesn't only protect speech that is tasteful and inoffensive. In fact, it is in the hard cases that our commitment to the First Amendment is most tested and most important. As one federal judge has put it, tolerating hateful speech is "the best protection we have against any Nazi-type regime in this country."

In this case, we believe that the jury verdict violated First Amendment principles that protect the free speech rights of everyone. We want to protect those principles, which have always been essential to the advancement of civil rights, including the civil rights of LGBT people. Allowing Fred Phelps to speak his mind may be difficult, but chipping away at one of the fundamental principles on which our country was founded is far, far worse for all of us in the long run.>>>

http://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech-lgbt-rights/why-fred-phelpss-free-speech-rights-should-matter-us-all

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: kyuzo]
    #486436 - 10/09/10 04:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I got to admit, I'm kind of surprised to see Harry say that.  I would've expected you to know and understand why his speech is protected, as it should be.

I lived in Topeka for almost a year and I've personally seen their church, and a few of their family members went to my high school. 

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (10/09/10 04:36 PM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: THEBats]
    #486443 - 10/09/10 04:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't my post specifically say that their rights were intrinsically protected by numerous governmental doctrines?

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#486446 - 10/09/10 05:12 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yes but you implied that they shouldn't be. 

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (10/09/10 05:13 PM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#486452 - 10/09/10 05:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

i picked that up too.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTina
Alcoholic
Female User Gallery

Loc: Middle America
    #486587 - 10/09/10 11:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

i saw this on the news the other day.
those women are batshit crazy.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

#486665 - 10/10/10 09:44 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Yes but you implied that they shouldn't be. 

My bad, what I was trying to say was merely that their choice of actions is really saddening and detrimental to the overall wellbeing of the country. In no way did I mean to imply that they should lose their right to free speech or anything, just that sometimes that right can be as harmful as anything

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
    #486712 - 10/10/10 04:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I think their should be some restrictions to the freedom of speech personally. But the problem with allowing them to be restricted some of the time means that it could gradually get more and more oppressive.

Regardless I almost went to the "1 million fag march" in topeka a few months ago just to see some phelps people get pissed off. Like half the people I know from high school that are still around went.

You know the reason they are protesting the military funerals is because they think the government is to nice to gays.

They protested around where I am a lot, bikers started to surround the funerals with bikes to block out the noise and view of the protest. I personally couldn't blame anyone if they killed phelps, not saying they shouldn't be punished. But I'd probably send them a letter saying it was cool what they did or something.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #486715 - 10/10/10 04:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Any restrictions on the freedom of speech is detrimental to this countries intentions and freedom.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#486718 - 10/10/10 04:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Any restrictions on the freedom of speech is detrimental to this countries intentions and freedom.

Yea, but you know the purpose of the government is to be the will of the people.

If ever the majority of people in America wanted to restrict something in some way I say it is their right to do it.

But whatever, I don't really care. I just know I sure as hell will have fun at Fred Phelps Funeral when he dies. :shrug:

:discorex:

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#486721 - 10/10/10 04:44 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The will of the people doesn't extend to the rights delegated by both the constitution and the bill of rights.  Those are restrictions that, in theory, are never to be superseded by majority vote. They belong to minorities and the majority alike.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#486737 - 10/10/10 06:23 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
The will of the people doesn't extend to the rights delegated by both the constitution and the bill of rights.  Those are restrictions that, in theory, are never to be superseded by majority vote. They belong to minorities and the majority alike.

Yea, but if a majority don't like the way it is working. :minigun:

:lol:

Regardless, constitutions are nice. But making 100% absolutes in it is stupid. Some countries don't even use a constitution as word of law, just guidelines to rule them. (although I think they tend to get more dictators then would be preferable).

I think Honduras is the specific one I am thinking of, but I am not certain.

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#486741 - 10/10/10 06:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well then perhaps you should relocate to Honduras?  The purpose of inalienable rights is just that, to protect minorities against social change.  Making absolutes as far as restrictions I would agree, is stupid.  Most of criminal law works in this manner.  But making absolutes as far as freedom is insurance and necessary.

Ability to make small changes in regards to rights will only lead to more restriction.  The jews weren't all of a sudden on Germany's shit list, really antisemitism was already alive prior to hitler receiving power. But thanks to government sanctions on restricting their rights it made it all the more easier for the common German to jump on the bandwagon.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#486751 - 10/10/10 06:51 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Which I understand. But I'm just affirming to me, it is so fucked up to protest any funeral, that if an exception were to be made it would be a pretty good thing to be such an exception.

Now I'm going to stfu though cuz I'm stoned as fuck.

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#486760 - 10/10/10 07:04 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:stoned:

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

InvisibleShr0000ooooms
Cannabis Sampler

#486814 - 10/10/10 09:54 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

how do you tell where they protest?

im going to hold up a sign saying "too bad god doesn't exist" or maybe "god forgets and forgives"

then once they touch me, BAM lawsuit.

get the cash flowin in.

--------------------
If I'm posting I'm high.

InvisibleShr0000ooooms
Cannabis Sampler

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Shr0000ooooms]
    #486816 - 10/10/10 09:56 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

also what's their name of the group?

--------------------
If I'm posting I'm high.

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#486859 - 10/11/10 06:17 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yea those WBC fucks were around me last week.  I feel they can protest and say whatever the fuck they want.  It's their right I sure as hell don't want any of my rights to be taken away.  So let them protest funerals and what not. 

Then again they are probably a reptilian front organization solely in existence to help slowly strip away our rights by "exercising" "our" rights in such a way that the majority of people would like the "right" to be removed so they no longer get butthurt over sign wielding fucks.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Tangerines] * 1
    #486949 - 10/11/10 02:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I say let everyone keep their freedom of speech and all that, because like everyone said, I don't want it taken away from me.  With that being said, it's just a matter of time before someone walks up to the leader, Phelps I believe it is, with a .357 and exercises his right :lol:  They're gonna go to the wrong person's funeral one day.

--------------------

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Tangerines]
    #487086 - 10/11/10 10:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:

Then again they are probably a reptilian front organization solely in existence to help slowly strip away our rights by "exercising" "our" rights in such a way that the majority of people would like the "right" to be removed so they no longer get butthurt over sign wielding fucks.

Exactly :highfive:

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #532209 - 03/02/11 11:48 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

This is a bump!  The supreme court ruled on this today.  It turns out, we still have free speech, no matter how vile it may be.  Unless you ask this freedom hater named Samuel Alito.  he was the only dissenter in the 8-1 vote. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20038319-504083.html

anyone upset or surprised about this decision?

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#532212 - 03/02/11 11:50 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Good news.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#532241 - 03/02/11 01:13 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

To be honest I am rather upset, I don't think it is anyone's right to protest someones funeral. Provisions on free speech should be allowed for specific situations alone, although IMO that would be an amendment to the constitution.

Although since this is up held I will feel free to protest fred phelps funeral.

--------------------

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Thebooedocksaint] * 1
    #532262 - 03/02/11 02:21 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

free speech is free speech no matter what.  Start making "provisions" in this case then what stops them from making "provisions" in times or war?  Or "provisions" during elections etc.  All or nothing.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#532267 - 03/02/11 02:28 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

As long as the display is on public land, and they're tax paying citizens there exists no problem in my eyes.

And indeed during WW2 there were provisions set up by the House Of Un-American Activities Committee controlling anti-war rhetoric.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (03/02/11 02:29 PM)

OfflineFar Stox
Higher Education

Loc: Flag
    #532274 - 03/02/11 02:42 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

I'll admit that I absolutely loathe the fuckers that protest military funerals, but I've accepted that stripping them of their First Amendment rights might as well be the same as stripping everyone of their rights.

It sucks, but I guess you just gotta hope that karma or something steps in and gives them what they deserve. :shrug:

That, or step in and return the favor whenever they die. :yesnod:

--------------------
"When I awaken,
The first thing on my mind,
A little bit of cornflakes,
And a blunt that's all mine."-PUTS

Invisibledrawde

#532289 - 03/02/11 03:05 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:
free speech is free speech no matter what.  Start making "provisions" in this case then what stops them from making "provisions" in times or war?  Or "provisions" during elections etc.  All or nothing.

I was going to write a comment, but then I saw it was already posted. :thumbup:

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #532297 - 03/02/11 03:27 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:

QFT

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#532326 - 03/02/11 04:47 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:
Start making "provisions" in this case then what stops them from making "provisions" in times or war?  Or "provisions" during elections etc.

Well for one, as I said. An amendment to the constitution being needed stops them. And it isn't like there hasn't been censorship in the past during wars, and they haven't gradually gotten rid of them all. So there is one hole poked in your logic, which is by the way the slippery slope fallacy.

:shrug:

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#532328 - 03/02/11 04:51 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

but like I said whatever, I don't care really. I will tell you at least one of my friends who were in Vietnam are pissed off by that decision. And In my opinion those affected by the problem in the system is who's opinion most matters. This has a great amount of support with it, it doesn't surprise me the court said nothing though. They rule on the constitution, and they can't be legislating from the bench because that pisses people off.

--------------------

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#532329 - 03/02/11 04:52 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Still doesn't give them the right to strip away free speech to law abiding citizens.  That is even more fucked up than protesting a vets funeral.  Lady justice has no emotions.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#532332 - 03/02/11 04:54 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Ultimately the same argument against them can be used against marijuana supporters.  There's plenty of people who find that offensive to their children and way of life who would love to see restrictions on it. 

Obviously phelps is more universally offensive, yet the definition of offensive obviously varies, from individual to individual, and generation to generation.  This is why there can be no provisions except on location of the protest, not on the delivery or content of the speech itself.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (03/02/11 04:55 PM)

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#532334 - 03/02/11 04:57 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:
Still doesn't give them the right to strip away free speech to law abiding citizens.  That is even more fucked up than protesting a vets funeral.  Lady justice has no emotions.

Well, actually. According to the constitution they do have a right. They can pass an amendment, so in fact they have the right to pass any amendment they want.

btw turns out its not really a slippery slope one. Was told it was different than it really was.

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#532338 - 03/02/11 05:04 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Our right to free speech itself is an amendment designed to further ingrain these rights as our founding fathers felt the constitution wasn't specific/clear enough along with the other first ten amendments, also called the bill of rights.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#532340 - 03/02/11 05:05 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Ultimately the same argument against them can be used against marijuana supporters.  There's plenty of people who find that offensive to their children and way of life who would love to see restrictions on it. 

Obviously phelps is more universally offensive, yet the definition of offensive obviously varies, from individual to individual, and generation to generation.  This is why there can be no provisions except on location of the protest, not on the delivery or content of the speech itself.

O.O

Not really.

Smoking weed isn't deliberately offensive, protesting military funerals with signs that say "god hates fags" is deliberately offensive. Being offensive on purpose, for no beneficial reasons, is fucked up.

He knows it is offensive, that is his reason to do it. He is a giant Troll.

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#532342 - 03/02/11 05:07 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
Quote:

THEBats said:

O.O

Not really.

Smoking weed isn't deliberately offensive, protesting military funerals with signs that say "god hates fags" is deliberately offensive. Being offensive on purpose, for no beneficial reasons, is fucked up.

Good bye south park, family guy; hell a whole lot of comedic television.

Also they believe there are beneficial reasons to their offensives, it does serve purpose in their eyes.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (03/02/11 05:08 PM)

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#532344 - 03/02/11 05:10 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

If something hurts someones feelings, let's just ban it.  It is safer that way.

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#532345 - 03/02/11 05:10 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:

Also they believe there are beneficial reasons to their offensives, it does serve purpose in their eyes.

people have different perceptions of right and wrong?  Nah man that ain't right.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#532347 - 03/02/11 05:12 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

:shrug:

--------------------

OfflineFar Stox
Higher Education

#532348 - 03/02/11 05:18 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:

You know, the only way to beat a troll is to ignore it. Or engage in troll cannibalism and troll him back.

Makes me wonder what the reaction would be if the funeral attendees just carried on with their service without paying any attention to the crazy Westboro cockbites. :strokebeard:

--------------------
"When I awaken,

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Far Stox]
    #532364 - 03/02/11 05:50 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Far Stox said:
Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:

You know, the only way to beat a troll is to ignore it. Or engage in troll cannibalism and troll him back.

Makes me wonder what the reaction would be if the funeral attendees just carried on with their service without paying any attention to the crazy Westboro cockbites. :strokebeard:

I'd just murder fred phelps and his family in the night a year later.

Everyone knows you can only kill a troll with fire, otherwise they regenerate.

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Thebooedocksaint] * 2
    #532372 - 03/02/11 06:03 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

can't really strip people of their freedom of speech rights, but i can't stand these fuckin people that protest the funerals.  they deserve what they get.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

#532377 - 03/02/11 06:08 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
Quote:

Far Stox said:
Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:

I'd just murder fred phelps and his family in the night a year later.

Everyone knows you can only kill a troll with fire, otherwise they regenerate.

Yup, straight up. If my son died and someone was there protesting his funeral I'd straight up open fire on them. Wouldn't even hesitate. Well, maybe I'd hesitate just long enough to wonder if I should do with with my bare hands instead for satisfaction sake, but that's about it.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#532396 - 03/02/11 06:34 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

I can't wait to read the news that there's been a huge protest at the funeral of fred phelps and/or his church/family members.  That's a protest I would love to join!  Signs could read, "God (and everyone else) hates the Phelps'!"

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#532402 - 03/02/11 06:37 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Nah that would just egg them on further and enhance their "cause".

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Tangerines] * 1
    #532407 - 03/02/11 06:44 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Either way it's going to happen.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#532408 - 03/02/11 06:48 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

:shrug:  I don't know how sympathetic many people are to their cause.  I think that once fred goes most of the movement he's started will fade away.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#532417 - 03/02/11 06:55 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

His kids and family will continue.  Had a doc on netflix that goes in depth with his family.  Hard to watch but paints a pictures.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#532423 - 03/02/11 06:59 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

oh that son of a bitch introduces himself wearing a KU outfit.  :sad:

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineFar Stox
Higher Education

#532425 - 03/02/11 07:00 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
His kids and family will continue.  Had a doc on netflix that goes in depth with his family.  Hard to watch but paints a pictures.

I can imagine watching that would be on about the same level as Jesus Camp. It's another one of those religious documentaries that makes me rage so hard I could bludgeon a child to death with my anger boner.

--------------------
"When I awaken,

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#532440 - 03/02/11 07:19 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:

oh that son of a bitch introduces himself wearing a KU outfit.  :sad:

Yep that's the documentary.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#532664 - 03/03/11 06:36 AM (13 years, 19 days ago)

At least he gives religion a bad name :justdontknow:

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: DungenessDank]
    #532686 - 03/03/11 08:09 AM (13 years, 19 days ago)

:lol:  that's glass half full thinking!

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order