Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Tangerines]
    #487086 - 10/11/10 10:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:

Then again they are probably a reptilian front organization solely in existence to help slowly strip away our rights by "exercising" "our" rights in such a way that the majority of people would like the "right" to be removed so they no longer get butthurt over sign wielding fucks.

Exactly :highfive:

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #532209 - 03/02/11 11:48 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

This is a bump!  The supreme court ruled on this today.  It turns out, we still have free speech, no matter how vile it may be.  Unless you ask this freedom hater named Samuel Alito.  he was the only dissenter in the 8-1 vote. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20038319-504083.html

anyone upset or surprised about this decision?

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #532212 - 03/02/11 11:50 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Good news.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: THEBats]
    #532241 - 03/02/11 01:13 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

To be honest I am rather upset, I don't think it is anyone's right to protest someones funeral. Provisions on free speech should be allowed for specific situations alone, although IMO that would be an amendment to the constitution.

Although since this is up held I will feel free to protest fred phelps funeral.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Thebooedocksaint] * 1
    #532262 - 03/02/11 02:21 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

free speech is free speech no matter what.  Start making "provisions" in this case then what stops them from making "provisions" in times or war?  Or "provisions" during elections etc.  All or nothing.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#532267 - 03/02/11 02:28 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

As long as the display is on public land, and they're tax paying citizens there exists no problem in my eyes.

And indeed during WW2 there were provisions set up by the House Of Un-American Activities Committee controlling anti-war rhetoric.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (03/02/11 02:29 PM)

OfflineFar Stox
Higher Education

Loc: Flag
    #532274 - 03/02/11 02:42 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

I'll admit that I absolutely loathe the fuckers that protest military funerals, but I've accepted that stripping them of their First Amendment rights might as well be the same as stripping everyone of their rights.

It sucks, but I guess you just gotta hope that karma or something steps in and gives them what they deserve. :shrug:

That, or step in and return the favor whenever they die. :yesnod:

--------------------
"When I awaken,
The first thing on my mind,
A little bit of cornflakes,
And a blunt that's all mine."-PUTS

Invisibledrawde

#532289 - 03/02/11 03:05 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:
free speech is free speech no matter what.  Start making "provisions" in this case then what stops them from making "provisions" in times or war?  Or "provisions" during elections etc.  All or nothing.

I was going to write a comment, but then I saw it was already posted. :thumbup:

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #532297 - 03/02/11 03:27 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:

QFT

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#532326 - 03/02/11 04:47 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:
Start making "provisions" in this case then what stops them from making "provisions" in times or war?  Or "provisions" during elections etc.

Well for one, as I said. An amendment to the constitution being needed stops them. And it isn't like there hasn't been censorship in the past during wars, and they haven't gradually gotten rid of them all. So there is one hole poked in your logic, which is by the way the slippery slope fallacy.

:shrug:

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: Protesting military funerals [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #532328 - 03/02/11 04:51 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

but like I said whatever, I don't care really. I will tell you at least one of my friends who were in Vietnam are pissed off by that decision. And In my opinion those affected by the problem in the system is who's opinion most matters. This has a great amount of support with it, it doesn't surprise me the court said nothing though. They rule on the constitution, and they can't be legislating from the bench because that pisses people off.

--------------------

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#532329 - 03/02/11 04:52 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Still doesn't give them the right to strip away free speech to law abiding citizens.  That is even more fucked up than protesting a vets funeral.  Lady justice has no emotions.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#532332 - 03/02/11 04:54 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Ultimately the same argument against them can be used against marijuana supporters.  There's plenty of people who find that offensive to their children and way of life who would love to see restrictions on it. 

Obviously phelps is more universally offensive, yet the definition of offensive obviously varies, from individual to individual, and generation to generation.  This is why there can be no provisions except on location of the protest, not on the delivery or content of the speech itself.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (03/02/11 04:55 PM)

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#532334 - 03/02/11 04:57 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:
Still doesn't give them the right to strip away free speech to law abiding citizens.  That is even more fucked up than protesting a vets funeral.  Lady justice has no emotions.

Well, actually. According to the constitution they do have a right. They can pass an amendment, so in fact they have the right to pass any amendment they want.

btw turns out its not really a slippery slope one. Was told it was different than it really was.

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#532338 - 03/02/11 05:04 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Our right to free speech itself is an amendment designed to further ingrain these rights as our founding fathers felt the constitution wasn't specific/clear enough along with the other first ten amendments, also called the bill of rights.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#532340 - 03/02/11 05:05 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Ultimately the same argument against them can be used against marijuana supporters.  There's plenty of people who find that offensive to their children and way of life who would love to see restrictions on it. 

Obviously phelps is more universally offensive, yet the definition of offensive obviously varies, from individual to individual, and generation to generation.  This is why there can be no provisions except on location of the protest, not on the delivery or content of the speech itself.

O.O

Not really.

Smoking weed isn't deliberately offensive, protesting military funerals with signs that say "god hates fags" is deliberately offensive. Being offensive on purpose, for no beneficial reasons, is fucked up.

He knows it is offensive, that is his reason to do it. He is a giant Troll.

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#532342 - 03/02/11 05:07 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
Quote:

THEBats said:

O.O

Not really.

Smoking weed isn't deliberately offensive, protesting military funerals with signs that say "god hates fags" is deliberately offensive. Being offensive on purpose, for no beneficial reasons, is fucked up.

He knows it is offensive, that is his reason to do it. He is a giant Troll.

Good bye south park, family guy; hell a whole lot of comedic television.

Also they believe there are beneficial reasons to their offensives, it does serve purpose in their eyes.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (03/02/11 05:08 PM)

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#532344 - 03/02/11 05:10 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

If something hurts someones feelings, let's just ban it.  It is safer that way.

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#532345 - 03/02/11 05:10 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:

Also they believe there are beneficial reasons to their offensives, it does serve purpose in their eyes.

people have different perceptions of right and wrong?  Nah man that ain't right.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#532347 - 03/02/11 05:12 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

:shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains