Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

4'x4' 600w garage partition? (upgrade: 1KW, finished)
    #468344 - 08/27/10 03:26 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hey guys... I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get setup in my new garage...

There's already this little 2'x3' cubby housing a defunct propane heater which I'm basically planning on making a little bit bigger and gutting.

That's basically all I've got right now.  I haven't even settled on 4x4 yet... But I'm thinking that's about what I want to deal with both in terms of lighting required and footprint within the garage.
    I was originally thinking about using two 400w bulbs to achieve the recommended 50w per sqft, but the guy at the hydro shop has kinda talked me into going with a 600... I understand that 600s are basically the most efficient bulbs we've got to work with too.

So,  I think I can get a decent reflector for a single bulb as well... Probably air cooled.  Would a vented reflector be advisable in a 4x4x8 closet?
  I'm working with a 4" 170CFM inline.  Intake will probably be from the main garage, via either a baffled style trap or a bit of maneuvered 4" PVC or ducting.  Exhaust is currently planned to exit in the crawl space, directly above the planned partition.  I had at one point dreamed of literally stuffing the exhaust of my fan through the sheetrock top center of the room.  Just pure fan.  This obviously contradicts my new thoughts of a vented reflector though...

This will probably be soil to start, but I think I could easily find room for any system if I get a wild hair...

So what do you guys think?;
          600w?  Two 400's?  Something different?
          Vented reflector?
          Exhaust to crawl space or outside?
          Quick Intake ideas?
          Is 4x4 actually good geometry for a grow space or could it be changed for say the footprint of a light, or actually moving and working in the space etc?

Thanks for any help guys... Please mention if I'm overlooking anything or there's any great ideas floating around... ANY ideas... Dream Big, guys, I'm excited about this one and I have the funds and time to really put something together this time... I'm already thinking about vinyl flooring with a drain and shit...

Edited by DudeTron (03/02/11 10:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 4'x4' 600w garage partition? [Re: DudeTron]
    #471176 - 09/02/10 11:16 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

a 4x4' is good for a 1kw light some use a 4x5' for a 1kw light as the reflectors tend to be slightly rectangular.

Right now I have a 600w lighting a 3 wide, 4.5 long space right now and it seems to be doing fairly good. I'd buy my reflector and bulb first and see what the footprint is like before building the space.

As for mutliple lights, Harry_ballsach runs 2 x 600w in a 4x4' closet but I think if possible it's best to have a that's longer with multiple air cooled lights.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: 4'x4' 600w garage partition? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #471558 - 09/02/10 10:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I'm shopping right now for a 1000watt with air cooled reflector.  Couple guys talked me into it based on the amount of room I've got.

I think you're right about getting the reflector first... I really want to make the right footprint for it.  While I'm waiting to get the courage to start cutting checks for the gear I wish I was building though....

So what do you think about the 170 CFM 4"?  Should I go for a 4" reflector, or can a couple reducers do the trick? Am I gonna have to buy a beefier fan? I'm still trying to save the fan I've got, but I wont settle for doing this grow anything less than full assed.  I just decided today I'm going to go for use wainscoating instead of greenboard in the room.. I couldn't be more excited about my plans to make this the cleanest most badass grow space ever.

Guess I need to start taking a look at logs like Harry's

OfflineHeathcliffHuxtable
Great Job!

#472131 - 09/04/10 02:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Looks kind of like my set up. 4x4x7 tent, 600w w/air cooled reflector and a vent hole on top. The 4" fan is probably too small to cool down a 600w and carry the hot air through the ducting. I have an 8" fan but I can't figure out the wiring so I've never used it, without the fan my tent can get very hot but it is not unmanageable.
If you go with 600w I'd get a 6" fan with a nice reflector and that would probably be enough to keep the light cool.
You should make sure your reflector has a glass lens on it to better keep the heat from the plants, the glass does make a huge difference.
I also stuck a hotspot diffuser in mine which allowed me to put my light even closer to the plants.
I've heard rumors that 1000w aren't as efficient as 600w systems (lumens per watt), but that could be total bullshit

Be patient* and good luck! :smile::bonghit:

*I say that because I got so excited my first grow I almost started it without being fully prepared :lol:

--------------------

Offlineweedgrwr
CrzyAsian

Loc: Europe Flag
Re: 4'x4' 600w garage partition? [Re: HeathcliffHuxtable]
    #473589 - 09/07/10 02:16 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

YEah, I definitely prefer a 4x4 myself. You're lucky to have that much space to grow weed in mang, make the most of it!!!

--------------------
"Never fight with a pig - you both get dirty and the pig enjoys it." Ditch the dealer. Learn how to grow weed <3 The Herb.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: 4'x4' 600w garage partition? [Re: weedgrwr]
    #477893 - 09/15/10 10:39 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Okay guys... so I got some gear 

I'm a little disappointed because I'm almost positive the guy I bought this stuff from said it was a HPS system... Turns out it's a halide, which sucks a little.... I've convinced myself that it's still going to be badass though, and that the bulb is going to make a difference... "Now with way more red" it says (paraphrased) 

Any experience with the Agrosun bulbs?  Are these halides actually 'redder' or am I going to be disappointed by not using a Sodium?

Either way, this shit was a steal.... Brand new in the box... Fucking instructions are still there.  Got this setup for 175 bucks.  All I need is the cord set, air flanges and glass lens... I'm a little worried about the lens cost wise, but we'll see...

So, with this purchase in mind what do you guys think of my plans now?  Is 4x4 still an option?  I'm thinking I really should try to go a little bigger.... the pamphlet that came with the reflector says an 8x8' is suitable for the 1000 watt, but I think that's a little optimistic...
Also, one more time, does anyone think my 170cfm 4" fan is going to cut it?  At least through the winter?

Here's a pic of the space with my 2x2 box next to the 2x3 area i'll be expanding....

Thanks for any help
~DT

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #478005 - 09/16/10 06:47 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think the grow bible says metal halides yield 10-15% less than HPS. I believe this could be when your reflectors are air cooled as halides are very hot especially the 1kw ones.

Offlinefort collins ak-47
cherry pheno
Male

Re: 4'x4' 600w garage partition? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #481059 - 09/22/10 10:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

some say the m.h will bring out more of the strains natural traits,as if done outdoor.i yet to experiment.i believe you would get way bigger yields with hps and still get great traits as people do!i have only seen outdoor a few times beat out indoor.this was some outdoor stinky pinky from humboldt,and some chocolate thai sticks from thailand-super fresh,the sticks were even dipped.the old schoolers will understand..cheers.

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
Re: 4'x4' 600w garage partition? [Re: fort collins ak-47]
    #481062 - 09/22/10 10:29 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

just buy a hps for flowering use the other for veg . Looks like your off to a good start

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: 4'x4' 600w garage partition? [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #481137 - 09/23/10 01:34 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for stopping by guys...

I'm pretty confident that I'm going to just go for it at least for now... Maybe when I crop the greenhouse I'll look into getting exactly what I want.

I'm actually holding out faith that the bulb is going to save me with it's supposedly awesome spectrum.

This weekend it's on... gonna put the reflector back together (needs glass and cord) and start framing and rocking my space.

Any input on ventilation?  I just thought of a new setup...
What if I vented the reflector as a separate system? 
Intake from outside, through the bulb, exhaust into crawl space.  Then have another fan exhausting into the crawl space, pulling negative pressure through some like 4" PVC light trap?  Basically; bulb fan, room fan...
Is this a common setup?

If I wanted to just pull the entire system through the light, what would be the best way to intake into the bulb?
  Just not use glass and pull from strait underneath, or??
I think I've seen some guys do this with carbon filters on intake, but are they also running another fan?

Also, for guys who vent into attics:  Is fungus and moisture an issue ever?  Any solutions?

~DT

InvisibleAmnesiac

Loc: Under the sea
    #481142 - 09/23/10 02:02 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I use a 600w with a 340cfm 6" fan. The fan pulls air from the room and pushes it through the light out to under the house, near the top of the grow space since its in the cellar. When I get the money I'm going to buy the carbon to fill my DIY filer and attach it to the intake of the fan. I've been doing test runs with this setup and it keeps temps between 78F-85F with the light on 18/6, while the outside temperature ranges from 60F-90F, but I think the temperature has a lot to do with it being in the cellar and three of the walls have earth almost all the way to the top of them. The air coming in comes from underneath one of the porches of the house, which is made of brick and concrete so the air under it stays fairly stable compared to the outside temperature. The porch was also added after the house was initially built so it doesn't pull the air that is exhausted back into the room.

If you have the money and are capable of making two air intakes into the room it is best to cool the reflector separately so long as you keep its air system completely sealed as not to let any smell pass through it unscrubbed.

On a side note, is the system you got a hydrofarm reflector and ballast? If so I have a very interesting proposition that may solve your dilemma of finding a cord set.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: 4'x4' 600w garage partition? [Re: Amnesiac]
    #481573 - 09/24/10 01:02 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hey amnesiac thanks for the help man...

That's a good call pulling your air from under the porch like that.  Got me thinking about whether I can actually pull from the garage if I get some sawdust or other crap going on in there... You use any kind of prefilter or anything?

So have you ever taken a look at your joists and were they moldy or anything?  This isn't actually my house and I would hate to damage it or cause extra work down the line... (The owners are cool with the grow as I'm a WA state medical patient just in case anyone was thinking about it)

Anyway, yes sir my reflector and ballast are indeed Hydrofarm, do continue with your proposition.

InvisibleAmnesiac

Loc: Under the sea
    #481890 - 09/24/10 09:56 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I don't use a filter on my air intake, the fan will have a carbon filter on it soon. If you use your basement for wood work I would definitely put a filter on the air intake.

The joist of my house haven't gotten moldy but, they are solid oak and my house was built in 1918. I doubt mold would be an issue for the solid wood parts of the house, I think it would be more of a problem for the dry wall or any fresh wood in the house because it will have more moisture in it than the 100 year old in wood in my house.

As for my proposition check the lot in a minute :wink:.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: 4'x4' 600w garage partition? [Re: Amnesiac]
    #532575 - 03/02/11 10:02 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Okay so I FINALLY fucking did it.. I completed my most badass grow space to date...

So there it is...  All I have left to do is a couple things to make it light-tight before I flip them.... geeze it only took me quitting my job to get the show on the road with this one... Just thought I'd put a little closure on this thread...

Peace guys
~DT

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds