Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Timeing your harvest
    #388105 - 03/22/10 01:40 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Just wondering when the best time to harvest my plants would be, this is my first harvest and I know a bit but figured I should ask around.

Do you time it on trichromes or the white hairs in the bud?
What do you look for?
When would the ideal time to harvest be if I'm looking for a real Indica body high?
What are some different methods on drying and cureing?

Will try to get some magnified photos of the buds soon but currently not at home.

Any help would be awesome:grin::rasta:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: Timeing your harvest [Re: T-Rex]
    #388141 - 03/22/10 06:51 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Observing the trichromes is the best way to do it hands down, but going by the color of the pistils isn't bad either.

When the pistils turn red/orange, they retract back into the pods and then the pods, due to heavy sexual frustration I suppose, swell with THC. So it's ok to go by hair color too.

If your looking for a super indica body high, then trichromes should be about 50% amber and 50% cloudy. I believe that optimal potency is when most of the trichs are cloudy and are just beginning to turn amber. Be careful not to harvest too late - marijuana has a marginal curve potency that you can overshoot.

Here is something I've experienced, although it's not 100% exactly like your situation. I had a skunk plant that I harvested back in January. Like you, I wanted to harvest it when the trichs were 50% amber, because I wanted it to have a super indica buzz. So I didn't even sample it when the trichs were all cloudy - I did that because I said to myself "I'm trying to get a super indica high." I began sampling when I saw the trichs had turned amber.

I was surprised to discover that the high, although fucking great, was actually a bit disappointing. Good taste, nice looking bud but a slightly disappointing high... I say that only because I had to smoke a bowls worth at least to get to where I wanted to be. In my opinion, if you use good weed, half a bowl (at most!) should do that to you.

I'm almost ready to chop a haze plant now, and I've been sampling it for a little over a week now. The trichs are pretty much all cloudy and the smallest amount off of this plant, fucking makes me sit there for about 45 minutes with my mouth dropped open. I've been wondering if I should have chopped my skunk earlier.

So I know your situation is a little bit different because I'm guessing your strain is indica dominant? In any case, I think what I'm trying to say is to achieve a well timed harvest, you must do a combination of sampling your product and keeping an eye on the trichs.

The best way to dry the plant is to simply cut the branches and tie them onto coat hangers and hang them in a closet. Like so:

It's best to have some kind of fan in there blowing air gently at your product. It'll dry the buds faster, and it'll help prevent some other problems too. Your plant is ready when the stems make a snapping noise when you bend them.

Curing is typically done by placing the product then into a sealable jar and then opening the lid a few times a day and letting the jar air out.

You'll notice in the picture what I did was I glued a piece of sponge to the bottom of my lid. If your buds get too dry, then this is a way to fix that. You glue a piece of sponge to your lid and make it a little bit damp. Some people also like to do what by using orange peels and banana peels and in fact many people claim it adds flavor and smell to the product but molding can also occur, though that's extremely rare I believe and I feel safe recommending either method to you.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #388154 - 03/22/10 08:44 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Unfortunately here we have a short outdoor season, so we have to time it by the rain. Half the time we get heavy rains before harvest that will make you wish you harvested a little prematurely.

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Timeing your harvest [Re: TomCollins]
    #388600 - 03/23/10 02:31 AM (14 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
When the pistils turn red/orange, they retract back into the pods and then the pods, due to heavy sexual frustration I suppose, swell with THC. So it's ok to go by hair color too.

This has started to happen to my plants in the last 2 days, but I'm kinda worried due to the fact I wont be able to return home and harvest them till Saturday/Sunday due to me being at a hotel for the week.:thumbdown:

Is it a risk leaving them for a few more days until I can get home?

Will definitely try to get home and take a few quick photos in the next few days for a bit of an update.

Thanks alot Spency!:grin::bongload:

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#388617 - 03/23/10 03:50 AM (14 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:
Quote:

Spency said:

This has started to happen to my plants in the last 2 days, but I'm kinda worried due to the fact I wont be able to return home and harvest them till Saturday/Sunday due to me being at a hotel for the week.:thumbdown:

Is it a risk leaving them for a few more days until I can get home?

Will definitely try to get home and take a few quick photos in the next few days for a bit of an update.

Thanks alot Spency!:grin::bongload:

Well your hairs should be like 90% all red/orange when you harvest. That's probably right around when you want to harvest. If your plant has just started retracting pistils then you still have a while to go.

Keep this in mind though, going by hair color just lets you know when it is ok to harvest in general. Not when to harvest for indica/sativa high - that can only be done by looking at the trichromes.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#388623 - 03/23/10 05:06 AM (14 years, 10 days ago)

Thanks alot Spency, you've been alot of help, and you have put my mind at ease :smile: :themoreyouknow:

--------------------

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Loc: Silicon Sizzle, CA USA Flag
    #470133 - 08/30/10 09:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Curing is typically done by placing the product then into a sealable jar and then opening the lid a few times a day and letting the jar air out.

You'll notice in the picture what I did was I glued a piece of sponge to the bottom of my lid. If your buds get too dry, then this is a way to fix that. You glue a piece of sponge to your lid and make it a little bit damp. Some people also like to do what by using orange peels and banana peels and in fact many people claim it adds flavor and smell to the product but molding can also occur, though that's extremely rare I believe and I feel safe recommending either method to you.

Just spray a tiny bit of lysol on the sponge with the water. Kills 99% of mold. I'm doing it. I hate mold.

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Timeing your harvest [Re: fungi]
    #470136 - 08/30/10 10:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Way to bump my first ever thread, unfortunately I solved this issue 5months ago lol

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder