Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebobby-j
Stranger
best led?
    #407602 - 04/27/10 03:00 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

found some lights on youtube leds specifically designed for marijuana http://growledhydro.com/ with 11 wavelengths and 3 watt diodes also found http://www.greners.com/grow-lights/led-brand/haight-solid-state.html with 6 watt diodes and no fans

im looking for something for a closet grow dont want a lot of heat wanna go without air exchange and use co2 is a 150watt hps gonna cause a heat problem with a fan between the plants and light how much temp difference would there be between the closet and the rest of the room and are these leds gonna be a lot better than cfls they seem to cost quite a bit dont wanna use a lot of electricity either less than 200 watts would be good

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: best led? [Re: bobby-j]
    #407995 - 04/28/10 07:19 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

how much space are you gonna use for your grow area?

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Offlinetheman420

#407997 - 04/28/10 07:23 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i used a tri band 90 watt led for a closet grow, it worked pretty good i never used nutes or anything. the buds never got very big, but the final product was very nice plus i know it was good and clean. im thinking the buds never got very big due to a few factors 1) the strain i used 2) no nutes where used and 3) the temp and humdity werent right.
its really good for veggin im not to sure if you need to hang it higher so all the wave lentgh hit it to make it bud bigger or what? i think i need to grow again with it and use a differnt strain this time around. maybe so og kush or something thats a danky indica that induces fits of laughing and gives no anxitey!

what strian do you plan on growing?

--------------------
num,num,num.....mmmm......num,num,num

Offlinebobby-j
Stranger
Re: best led? [Re: theman420]
    #408200 - 04/28/10 02:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

closets about 4x3 might use an armoire dresser in there. and ill probably use a big rubbermade tote for dwc/fogponics using an ultrasonic fogger in the water and a bubble stone of course, or maybe ebb and flow with a couple totes and cut the table tote down to about 7" tall...not really sure on the strain yet ive been looking at a lot of online stores selling seeds from amsterdam so definately wanna try that out maybe some white rhino from greenhouse seeds or white berry from paradise seeds, kind of worried about the smell issue too will a 4-6" "phresh filter" carbon filter be good enough to make the room odor free don't wanna have the fan humming up a storm either so i wanna runn it on a dimmer and use a plastic fan "sunleaves wind tunnel" found the phresh filter and sunleaves wind tunnel at http://www.greners.com/fans-ventilation-filters/brand/phresh/phresh-filters.html ; and  http://www.greners.com/fans-ventilation-filters/products/inline-fans-blowers/sunleaves-windtunnel.html

Offlinetheman420

#408391 - 04/28/10 06:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, it seems i dont have that much a problem with smell unless im smoking it... im thinking the strain i have is a complete mess up from the breeders end! but it was my first strain ever so i guess it has helped me understand it all.

now im looking for medical grade strains, such as white rhino but something different than that. Dr.greenthumb has some nice strains.

i think that you can cover up to 2.5x2.5 space with a 90 watt led. try ebay for it first i got a great deal but had to buy a few extra things like hanging brackets and such but still way less than the retailers price!
i also think that these would do i shit ton better in a hydro set up or aeroponics setup- i may try my hand at an aeroponics garden later when i turn the light back on and see how that does.

but you would want to wrap the inner lining of the cabinet in some mylar or paint it white to help bounce some of that light back at the plants. other than finding a good strain that you feel comfortable smoking and a decent female to clone and keep your smoke blowin id say you got a pretty good plan for yourself man!

--------------------
num,num,num.....mmmm......num,num,num

OfflineIrieNature
Seeker

#716434 - 02/20/14 03:22 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

You cannot go wrong with Growblu! Out of all the LED lights I researched. This is the company I went with and I am very happy.

I have one of the Apollo models. I have amazing results with it and autoflowering strains.

OfflineShroomingChaos
Connoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Southeast US
Re: best led? [Re: IrieNature]
    #735937 - 06/12/14 06:59 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I am also wondering what some good LED brands are.  I have read good reviews about Kind LED and GrowBlu.  Does anyone have any pictures of some solid results from either brand, or any brand for that matter?  Let's see some pictures of different LED light results and see whats out there.  I am highly interested in making "the switch" from HID to LED.

Offlineroxxor
Stranger
 User Gallery

#746881 - 09/08/14 07:30 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

anyone have any experience with groblu or blackdog?

InvisibleP-O

Re: best led? [Re: roxxor]
    #746932 - 09/08/14 01:04 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

i hear blackdogs are good ( but expensive as fuck)

Offlineroxxor
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: best led? [Re: P-O] * 1
    #746983 - 09/08/14 06:35 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

P-O said:
i hear blackdogs are good ( but expensive as fuck)

ive yet to hear of a quality led that doesn't cost a left nut.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: best led? [Re: roxxor]
    #750087 - 09/27/14 04:33 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

That'll come down with time.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: best led? [Re: Hawksresurrection] * 1
    #751955 - 10/09/14 05:58 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I have used Advanced LED and GrowBlu and like their results. Cheap stuff is a waste of time, they don't keep the diodes cool enough, drive them efficient enough or use the highest rated diodes.

Advanced LED just came out with a new light in 2014, the XTE series that interests me a lot. I've used their 2011 Diamond Series lights and like them a lot, but want to see what the new one can do, as its using newer and better technology, and also has a larger heat sink and modular design.

In my 4x8 tent I"m trying to get three long/skinny fixtures, like the DS400 from Advanced, but I switched to try GrowBlu's Apollo 240 (500w) because they were using a much thicker heat sink and beefier design--Modular as well which is one KEY component with getting into LED's.

I still need one more that size but will definitely going with the XTE, as its the same build quality but using newer diodes.

As for Black Dog, they supposedly make good lights, but they're trying to create a single-fixture replacement for HPS, whereas the trend with LED, and one of its strengths is spreading the light out over the entire plant with multiple fixtures. I'm not a big fan of the single-light replacement theory of theirs.

Also, unless they've updated it in awhile they aren't modular, so when one diode goes out and it needs to be replaced it will be a bitch to swap out the individual.  They are in chains of diodes, and one break in the chain will take 10-15 diodes with it. Modular allows you to take out the module with 10-15 lights in it all at once and replace the whole modular of lights-- and you can repair those modules much easier than the the whole fixture. You can get a spare module, toss it in while you repair the broken one and your never down on light.

Non modular design, as is the Diamond Series, and you have to deal with a lot, usually a return to the vendor for repair if its not a power supply.

Other brands that are popular include Lumigrow and California Light Works. CLW is made in USA and seems to be making a decent light, but I'm not so sure I'd buy one any time soon. Lumigrow is very expensive for what it is. I don't know many people who use them but I've heard mixed results, but basically too expensive for what it is.

I would stay away from all generic lights and cheap lights that have names(blackstar or equivalent.) Avoid all imitators and buy from a reputable vendor (fake Diamond Series on Amazon.) I just talked to someone on ICMAG who bought a "600w 200x3w" LED for $200 on ebay that really pulls 185watts (measured with a kill-a-watt meter) and the seller tried to explain voltage and get all technical on him to confuse him, but in actuality he sold him a 200x1w cheap ass fixture.

Generic and lower priced fixtures use lower priced diodes that run hotter, take more electricity, produce less light and thus have a lower life span. They have little or no heat sink, further driving up electricity cost while lowering efficiency, brightness and life span. Then on top of that the cheaper drivers that under power the diodes to counter act those flaws. It takes much longer for the plants to mature and you get much less density from cheap generic fixtures.

Sure, $1000 for an LED is expensive, but its those LED Dealers that are making a name in the LED market that are keeping tabs on the manufacturer to make sure they're building it with the highest quality components.

Someone told me that an oz of indoor bud in New York is $400, $250 outdoor. $1000 to get a light that will easily pump out 10 of those will pay/save for itself no time. I live on the west coast where the bud is very good and not so pricey, but its still a practical investment considering it will not cost you anything to maintain it for three straight years. You can foliar spray around them, you can run your garden warmer (they seem to like it better slightly warm with LED,) eliminate air conditioning, reduce overall electricity and greatly reduce infra red light from hitting the plants. No worries about hot starts, burning hot equipment or major fire hazard. No equipment to set up; its a single unit, just hang it up and start gardening.

If you got anything out of this post I hope it is that you should avoid bargain LED's like the plague. LED lights are an investment you shouldn't get cheap on. They are not really grow lights when you buy them cheap, they are just diodes mounted to look like a grow light.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals