Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Cloning to sex
    #388634 - 03/23/10 07:34 AM (14 years, 9 days ago)

When is the earliest I can clone a plant to determine the sex?

I have a white widow x troublemaker plant going on 24 hour lights (because its in there with my auto-flowers) and I can't BELIEVE how fast its growing. Its only day 3 or so, and its already getting its first full leaves!

Its going to be time to transplant it SOON, but I'd really like to determine the sex on it before I waste my time and nice soil transplanting it.

This will also be my first time cloning...I'm just going to do it in a cup of water (I've heard it works very well) and hope for the best. I would really like to make her a mother plant...so figuring out her sex ASAP is my primary goal.

Thank you.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Cloning to sex [Re: RasJeph]
    #388647 - 03/23/10 08:46 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

If it worked very well, you wouldn't have to "Hope for the best". Without something to cover the plant and keep up moisture, I would call the cup of water idea a shot in the dark. Cloning solution/gel is not expensive, I would suggest the minor investment.

I have experimented with a cup of water, and tossing some potting soil in the water to make it "muddy" seemed to encourage faster rooting..

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: Cloning to sex [Re: DieselB]
    #388654 - 03/23/10 09:15 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

--------------------

Offlinemoogles
    #388677 - 03/23/10 11:05 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Make your cut with at least 3 nodes above and with about 1/2" of stem below the bottom node.

Take this node and it's leaves, pull it down and off of the stem like peeling a banana. This opens up a nice area for root growth.

Dip in clonex.

Place in your medium(I use rapid rooters) and cover with a humidity dome.

Mist twice daily under 24/7 and you will have roots in 7 days if you do it right.

TIP: Soaking your medium in a B1 solution such as superthrive greatly reduces rooting time.

Offlinemoogles
Re: Cloning to sex [Re: moogles]
    #388679 - 03/23/10 11:09 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

DOUBLE POST TUESDAY OH YEEEEAH

Another method for sexing is using a paper bag.

Place one or two paper bags over a branch on the plant you wish to sex.

Remove after 48-72 hours and you should be able to sex your plant.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#388743 - 03/23/10 01:20 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

moogles said:
Another method for sexing is using a paper bag.

:facepalm: why didn't I think of that?!

I'll try that if the cloning fails.

--------------------

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
    #389052 - 03/23/10 08:39 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Dont waist your time doing that cup tecnique, for less than 5 bucks at your local home depot, kmart or walmart you can get powder rooting hormone, most carry Shultz, I STILL, use this due to its low price and effectiveness. It contains all the ingredients you need without the higher price that more popular brand names have and works just as good, if you fail its not the powder trust me, cloning takes time to perfect.

The earliest you "can" clone is right away, I dont suggest this.
The best thing is to wait at least a month after germ at least. Also, try to use lower branches as there easier to root. If, you have a willow tree you can also use the steeped broth as a rooting hormone, just take the newest years growth and steep a bunch of branches in water then use this to clone with.

I kno its hard waiting but paitents is key and it pays off.

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

Edited by Union420 (03/23/10 08:45 PM)

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Cloning to sex [Re: Union420]
    #389196 - 03/24/10 06:11 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

I have read and been told that when your plant produces alternating nodes it is most likely mature enough to be  sexed. I sexed around then with no troubles.  Plus when you transplant you'll get tons of new growth and lots more potential clones! Just pick up a small bag of promix..round my parts it's only 8 bucks for the smaller bag.

Sounds like it will be a bit before the plant is mature enough though.

I recommend a tall humidity dome with hydrated perlite at the bottom. It worked really well for me. Out of 40 clones I only lost 6. Considering it was my first go round I was impressed none the less. If you use rockwool make sure you strain the cubes well and soak them in ph balanced water...I half assed that part and it nearly killed all the clones!

Good luck man.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: Cloning to sex [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #389201 - 03/24/10 07:20 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Thanks! :]

This is all helping BTW. I'll prolly try multiple methods of cloning once I'm ready to...but to just sex it, I think I'll try the paper bag thing out.

I just need to make sure it can be a mother before I start taking a ton of clones :P

--------------------

Offlinemoogles
    #389273 - 03/24/10 12:40 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

Haha Rasjeph,

In real life I actually smacked my forehead when my grower buddy told me that.

:facepalm:

I felt so silly

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

#389611 - 03/24/10 09:20 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

BTW, if you want, it only takes 6 to 8 weeks from germ untill a plant shows its pre-flowers, this is the most common way of sexing a plant. I would suggest this way because no matter what tecnique you use your really not saving a great amount, days maybe.

For instance, if you have a plant that is say 4 weeks old,(which is around the time youll have a big enough plant to clone from) then you take clones or clone, your looking at 2 weeks to root and if your lucky youll see sex in this time (if sexing clones under 12'12) usually it will take an extra week about. Thats 6 weeks at the earliest and 7 or 8 as an average. Now see by this time the original mother is 6 or 7 or 8 weeks old whatever and will show sex so your not gaining time, you may feel like you are cause your doing things with the plant but not really, and same with the bag, by the time you have branches big enough without covering the whole plant, it will be about the same time. So If I were you Id wait till it naturally shows, I kno this can be hard cause if your like me you like to feel like your making progress in the grow room but really this is where paintens comes in. But its your decision just thought id note that. good luck

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #389626 - 03/24/10 09:53 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

I don't think that paper bag technique would really work. How is that supposed to show the plants sex?

Offlinemoogles
Re: Cloning to sex [Re: DungenessDank]
    #389657 - 03/24/10 11:05 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

Artificial darkness. Gotta double or triple it up.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#389701 - 03/25/10 06:09 AM (14 years, 7 days ago)

Thanks Union420...but I thought most people agreed that it took forever to get pre-flowers. I've heard lots of people saying they had them, and lots of people saying they didn't :confused:

Ugh, I'm just REALLY hoping its a female...this plant is growing so quick. It has a new set of leafs every morning!

--------------------

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

#390125 - 03/25/10 09:12 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Every crop I ever had showed preflowers between 6 to 8 weeks, it takes a good trained eye to see them but once you kno what to look for your golden. Its very well known that the timeline I stated is correct, if someone isint getting preflowers its probly cause A:it hasent been as long as they think, or B: they dont kno what there looking for. In some rare cases a plant could take longer but not likely.

One thing I have found is it takes longer if the grower uses 18 to 24 hours of light, I use and always will 16 hours, I start seeds on 14hours and when preflowers emerge I change to 16 once I have confirmed fems. I dont suggest going any lower than 14, in some cases "some" strains will flower with 14 but this is also rare and IMEO is caused by the strain.

The tecnique I use also has other benefits, look into info on growing more females from seed to see what I mean, I have a post on here all about it. Dutch Passion has it on there site also, its rare info that for some reason has got little attention, it works and I saw it personally and use it with great success.

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#390251 - 03/26/10 06:15 AM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Well, I run my lights 24, because I have auto-flowers in the same cabinet.

But thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll give that a shot next time.

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #390255 - 03/26/10 07:24 AM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Union420 said:
The tecnique I use also has other benefits, look into info on growing more females from seed to see what I mean, I have a post on here all about it. Dutch Passion has it on there site also, its rare info that for some reason has got little attention, it works and I saw it personally and use it with great success.

Link?

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Re: Cloning to sex [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #390567 - 03/26/10 09:46 PM (14 years, 5 days ago)

Sure, http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/386937#386937

I plan to do a grow log sometime in the future to show exactly what I mean, likely tho in the near futer I will at least do a write up including previous notes from case studies. At the moment im buzy with a semi long breeding prodject so my time is accounted for but as Ive said I would be glad to do another test to further prove my findings.

Also, Rah, just checking but you do kno you dont have to use 24 for auto's, only reason this is sometimes suggested is you might get faster growth, end result will be the same.

--------------------

Edited by Union420 (03/26/10 09:50 PM)

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#390662 - 03/27/10 07:21 AM (14 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Union420 said:
Also, Rah, just checking but you do kno you dont have to use 24 for auto's, only reason this is sometimes suggested is you might get faster growth, end result will be the same.

Mmm...I'd like to maximize growth, so thats why I'm doing it.

--------------------

Offlinemoogles
    #390717 - 03/27/10 11:09 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Yuuup

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck