Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGhetDatMoney420
Stranger
Need help with Set-up (Light Set up)
    #373233 - 02/25/10 09:06 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Good morning yall,
well i think its time i get ordering my ballasts/fixtures/bulbs, but before i come completely finacialy invested in this i would like some feed back and or some direction.
Is there a complete system i can buy?
What wattage or type should i use?
How many fixtures will i need to grow 60 plants or so in a 15' X 15' room?

Thanks for your time i will be refreshin this post every hour im planning on buying the stuff tomorrow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: Need help with Set-up (Light Set up) [Re: GhetDatMoney420]
    #373262 - 02/25/10 09:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

GhetDatMoney420 said:
Good morning yall,
well i think its time i get ordering my ballasts/fixtures/bulbs, but before i come completely finacialy invested in this i would like some feed back and or some direction.

Thanks for your time i will be refreshin this post every hour im planning on buying the stuff tomorrow.

Holy shit dude, maybe you need to sit back and plan this out a little better. That is a huge endeavor your taking and I can tell your a tad ill-prepared.

There are several complete systems you can buy: http://www.homegrown-hydroponics.com/

Now for a 15 foot by 15 foot room? I believe the rule of thumb is 50watts per square foot. So lets break out the calc here a bit: 15ft x 15ft= 225 square feet. Now 225 x 50 = 11, 250 watts.... Wow....

The lumen rule of thumb I think is atleast 6000lumens per square foot. So 225 x 6000 = 1,350,000. I believe 1000 Watt HPS output is around 140,000 lumens. 1,350,000/140,000= 9.64.

So I'd say 10x1000 Watt HPS are around how many fixtures you need for that room. Thats quite the investment.

That number seems a little funny to me. Maybe my math is off or something, so before you buy anything wait for someone else to swing by.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineGhetDatMoney420
Stranger
Re: Need help with Set-up (Light Set up) [Re: TomCollins]
    #373296 - 02/25/10 10:21 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You seem to be right on the money, i had gotten feedback in one of my earlier posts and a gentlemen told me i would 10x 1000w HID fixtures. While my op seems far fetched and unrealistic? i plan to try this...my go big or go home may have me in way over my head, but i think that my relentless planning and rigorous reading of materials may prove to be the edge that i need. This site will also be a very valuable asset in my endeavors.
Thanks for the post will wait for additional feed back.

EDIT: I am using soil...not hydro. just FYI

Edited by GhetDatMoney420 (02/25/10 10:27 AM)

OfflineTomCollins

#373301 - 02/25/10 10:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

No offense buddy, but asking
Quote:

Tells me there has been little "relentless planning" and "rigorous reading." Ergo, until you have reached that point, I think you should hold off on dropping the cash.

However, my opinion is my own of course and I wish you the best of luck in all your future growing.

If you go through with this however, you be sure to make a log so all of us can watch and drool. :vaped:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Need help with Set-up (Light Set up) [Re: TomCollins]
    #373312 - 02/25/10 10:55 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah magash and myself were talking about this in the other post. I say go for it if you have the cash, you already have the house. Just know what your getting into. My buddy is doing 75 plants and I have not seen the op yet (can't fucking wait for memorial day) but I know he's been one tough son of a bitch to get a hold of and all my folks back in Cali say he's only made it to like 2 parties in the last 6 months.

The work is consuming but for those willing to undertake such a task the rewards can be great.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #373468 - 02/25/10 05:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
No offense buddy, but asking
Quote:

Tells me there has been little "relentless planning" and "rigorous reading." Ergo, until you have reached that point, I think you should hold off on dropping the cash.

However, my opinion is my own of course and I wish you the best of luck in all your future growing.

If you go through with this however, you be sure to make a log so all of us can watch and drool. :vaped:

I agree with everything said in that post right there. :thumbup: spency.

to the OP;

The math in Spency's post is correct, but one thing many people forget is that not all 225 square feet of that room can be filled with plants. you'll need at least some space for walking around in, especially if soil is the plan. you'll need to water, trim dying leaves, cut back useless growth, move the plants for uniform coverage etc.

I'd plan on only using about 150 square feet of that room. That still comes out to about 8000W of light though.

I can't stress to you enough how huge of a project you're undertaking. I know I've said this to you in every single thread you've made here, but PLEASE don't rush in to this ill prepared. this is not childsplay, best case failure you could lose $40,000, worst case you burn down your house and go to jail when the cops show up. this is not to be fucked around with, you need to plan every step of this or prepare for the consequences

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need help with Set-up (Light Set up) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #373473 - 02/25/10 05:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yah, I'd be super hesitant to suggest to a total newbie a grow on this scale.  Personally I'd be most concerned about electrical saftey more then anything else, if I were you I'd think about buying one of those portable hanging fire extinguishers that will set off if a fire occurs.

Otherwise I'd highly suggest starting off with one light, growing a smaller amount of plants, and learn the process first before trying to take on something of this size.  I think you'll have a much easier time of it, there's a lot of nuances to growing good herb and trying to tackle a project of this magnitude is most likely going to produce less then stellar results.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Need help with Set-up (Light Set up) [Re: coda]
    #373491 - 02/25/10 05:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

This supposedly came out of a brand new multi thousand dollar room in cali, I said it could of come out of any mexican ditch. That's why they are saying start a little smaller. Your first few crops might not be stellar in size but they will at least be attractive to the discerning buyer.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need help with Set-up (Light Set up) [Re: pha3r0]
    #373497 - 02/25/10 05:44 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

now that's some serious stress right there.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Need help with Set-up (Light Set up) [Re: coda]
    #373681 - 02/25/10 08:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yeah tasted like hay and the stems were damn near unbreakable shit was whack. but the cowboys around here don't know any better I guess.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

Offlinethe man

Re: Need help with Set-up (Light Set up) [Re: pha3r0]
    #373866 - 02/26/10 12:02 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ya if your spending that kind of money and taking that kind of risk, one would think youd have enough experience or at least through all of your supposed reading you could figure that simple thing out of knowing how much light. not to be a dick but you sorta seem like you want some attention, asking multiple places and being like ya your right thats what someone else said.. your probably going to get busted because your not going to have the cash to properly filter your air and air condition your house. Think abotu how much attention just buying enough nutes would be not to mention all those lights or the ponics. anyway thats all i hae to say, best of luck and play safe my man..

peace

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder