Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Noob asking about feeding schedual [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #366598 - 02/17/10 06:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

oh I'm all for feeding the plants as heavy as they can handle, but that's done by slowly stepping up the feeding schedule and growing the same strain multiple times to determine exactly how much they can handle. just jumping straight to full strength with seedlings in the hopes that they will grow faster will not end well

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
Re: Noob asking about feeding schedule [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #366956 - 02/17/10 09:22 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with the practice of using more nutrients rather than less during the Veg. cycle however during flowering there is nothing worse than having a over fertilized plant leading to HARSH smoke!!!

--------------------
x:tongue:

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Noob asking about feeding schedule [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #367097 - 02/18/10 01:21 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It's my understanding no matter how much you give the plant as long as you allow ample flushing time at the end of the grow the flavor will be fine.

Also this is:thumbsup:
Quote:

So, I haven't QUITE started up yet, but I figure it really can't hurt to know my plan ahead of time.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Noob asking about feeding schedual [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #367149 - 02/18/10 05:58 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:if you're using Ocean Forest you won't need to use ANY nutes at all until around the time flowering begins.

Wow, is that right? I must have picked some good shit then! :thumbup:

This leads me to more questions.

Will feeding them along side these nutes that are already in the soil damage them? I know I should start out with half, or quarter strength...but could I over do by feeding them? I'll stick to the every 3-4 waterings then...my nutes will last a lot longer that way!

And...should I put my seedlings directly into this soil? I know you aren't supposed to feed them right away...and if the food is right IN the soil, will it damage them? Should I start them in something else first?

Thanks again for all the help everyone! :thumbup: Both the soil and the nutes just left Cali today...the seeds are supposed to be on their way, and maybe I'll have this started next week! :yesnod:

@pha3r0 - yeah, I learned the hard way not to just jump head first into this. I grew a few plants last year...had NO FUCKING CLUE what I was doing. I got some smokeable bud, but certainly not anything incredible. It was a valuable learning experience though :tongue:

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Noob asking about feeding schedual [Re: RasJeph]
    #367164 - 02/18/10 07:41 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:if you're using Ocean Forest you won't need to use ANY nutes at all until around the time flowering begins.

Will feeding them along side these nutes that are already in the soil damage them? I know I should start out with half, or quarter strength...but could I over do by feeding them? I'll stick to the every 3-4 waterings then...my nutes will last a lot longer that way!

And...should I put my seedlings directly into this soil? I know you aren't supposed to feed them right away...and if the food is right IN the soil, will it damage them? Should I start them in something else first?

Thanks again for all the help everyone! :thumbup: Both the soil and the nutes just left Cali today...the seeds are supposed to be on their way, and maybe I'll have this started next week! :yesnod:

@pha3r0 - yeah, I learned the hard way not to just jump head first into this. I grew a few plants last year...had NO FUCKING CLUE what I was doing. I got some smokeable bud, but certainly not anything incredible. It was a valuable learning experience though :tongue:

Like harry said it's pretty rich stuff you wont need any extras until they are a good bit past the seedling stage but there should be no problems putting them right into it. It's not so hot it will burn them.

And harry if I am wrong go ahead and blast me I am only posting cause I can't sleep.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Noob asking about feeding schedual [Re: pha3r0]
    #367173 - 02/18/10 08:18 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

lol sorry I'm not blasting anyone. trip just loves to get in fights.

you're right on point with that :thumbup:

to RasJeph- over feeding can be very painful to your plants and can even kill them. I'd let them grow into your soil with nothing but water for about a month and then we'll see if they're hungry :wink:

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#367179 - 02/18/10 08:33 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think we all secretly love a good flame war but we'll keep that aside.

Hey ras have you thought of doing an official grow log? I follow most of them that are updated regularly and even though no one writes in mine it has helped me organize and plan as the grow changes. I have been able to look back and see what changed and when and how fast. It also has made this first grow seem very fast which is nice cause I am an impatient SOB

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #367182 - 02/18/10 08:36 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

where is yours pha3ro? if its in your personal journal you'd get much more traffic by switching to the grow journals section

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#367191 - 02/18/10 08:45 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Here

It's my buddies plant technically but I am the brains behind it. His last plant came out worse then Coasters so as you will see it's a big improvement.

Plus I might take the freeezer or build another one soon and have it here for some of the clones which soon wont have space but wife isn't quite kosher with that idea and having the kid here.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#367246 - 02/18/10 10:48 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I'll be doing a grow log for sure :thumbup:

Its gonna be small...I'll only be doing 2 or 3 plants at a time, and dwarfing them a little because of the space I have available...but, it'll be a log nonetheless. :P

So...the inside of my cabinet is just wood colored. I was going to get some reflective stuff, but I'm running a bit low on funds. I have some "primer white" paint left over...is that preferable to just wood?

I'd make a new thread for it, but it looks like you guys keep checking in here, so I won't bother :P

Kinda hope that'll work...I'm itching to get this started, and that'll give me something to do today :lol:

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#367252 - 02/18/10 11:09 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

oh yeah flat white paint is even better then mylar, well mylar reflects 100% or very close and flat white reflects 95%ish. so for its cost and ease of use a lot of people like white better.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#367272 - 02/18/10 11:56 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Its "flat" because its primer, right? :blush:

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#367274 - 02/18/10 12:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

well primer should be pretty flat, i don't know why everyone says flat but thats why i said it, i used semi gloss on mine cause that's what my painter buddy had extra of. I really don't think it matter to much as long as its a good bright white color.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #367299 - 02/18/10 01:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

pha3r0 said:
Quote:

RasJeph said:
Quote:

Like harry said it's pretty rich stuff you wont need any extras until they are a good bit past the seedling stage but there should be no problems putting them right into it. It's not so hot it will burn them.

And harry if I am wrong go ahead and blast me I am only posting cause I can't sleep.

Actually it is common knowledge that Ocean Forest can be too hot for many strains, at seedling age at least.  I've cloned into straight soil before and had success, but I recently cloned into Ocean Forest, I know I was high and not thinking too much, and 4 of the 6 are burnt right up.

2 of them actually survived though, so at least I know those 2 strains are the ones I will clone.

Generally you should either cut the OF for seedlings, and after 2 weeks they will be able to handle straight OF, with some perlite if you choose.

The last bag I got had so much perlite in it, that I didn't need to add anything, it almost drains too fast; because I can't seem to "soak" it all without it all running out the bottom, oh well.  I'm glad I planned ahead for water seeping out.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Noob asking about feeding schedual [Re: Inverted]
    #367305 - 02/18/10 01:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Really well I take it back then It seems everyone uses it and I had never heard of a need to cut it for seedlings. I guess most people usually add perlite though any ways from the start.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#367309 - 02/18/10 01:22 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It varies strain to strain.

It was personally way to hot for my seedlings, I had to cut it with some regular potting soil so they didn't fry.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #367353 - 02/18/10 02:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah, I've heard of a ton of people having issues with their seedlings in that soil.

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#367358 - 02/18/10 02:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

OK, cool! I'm glad I asked :]

The only other thing I have on hand is coir...could I just start in that, then move them over at the 2 week mark? Or will that fuck with them too much?

I'm gonna reserve a spot in the grow log section, since I started setting things up today :thumbup: And that way I can maybe gather my thoughts in a post before my stuff arrives!

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#367394 - 02/18/10 03:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That sounds like a great idea.  You could also just mix like 30% FFOF and 70% coir for now, just keep them in a Solo cup for 2 weeks then transplant to OF or OF+Perlite.

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#367397 - 02/18/10 03:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
That sounds like a great idea.  You could also just mix like 30% FFOF and 70% coir for now, just keep them in a Solo cup for 2 weeks then transplant to OF or OF+Perlite.

My exact plan!  :borat:

I started my log in the appropriate section...got a picture of my cabinet in there, 'cause I painted it today.

Thanks again for all the help guys...I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I progress!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom