Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
That's So gay
    #313093 - 11/09/09 12:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It honestly pisses me off that some individuals think every time people use the word gay it is in some derogatory meaning. Now I am not saying that all, or even most, people think that it is offensive to say. So after watching this I feel everyone needs a lesson in the History of the word.

So lets look at the word gay.

Gay originally had a denotation as happy, carefree, glad, etc... and originated in the English language around the 1100's. Sometime during the very early 1900's it started to be used to mean homosexual in the context that by being homosexual these individuals were carefree with the standard sexual practices of the time. Later in the mid 1900's there began to be a more accepted definition of gay to mean homosexual more concretely, and be more of a synonym than a describing factor.

Going into modern times the old definition is almost completely unused unless one is making the infamous statement "oh so that is happy" to try to be clever, after someone says that's gay in the context of something being stupid, undesirable, rubbish, or generally just something negative. This is where we see the new definition is just a general term for essentially a dislike of something. Why do I care? Because people are getting offended by the use of a term that isn't even in the slightest bit offensive if being used in the current context, and more likely just because I don't like people trying to tell me what I can and can't say.

And if anyone thinks I'm being offensive I'm just going to laugh at your ignorance of how languages evolve.

This was just a note I wrote on face book, and I love ranting on and on.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: That's So gay [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #313094 - 11/09/09 12:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

..................that video is so gay. :rofl:

nah just playin. yeah that's stupid. fuckin people flippin over dumb shit. nothin new

--------------------

Invisibletsollost
Master of Mopery

Re: That's So gay [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #313110 - 11/09/09 01:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

KNOCK IT OFF!!!

--------------------
GUNGA GALUNGA

OfflineTomCollins

Re: That's So gay [Re: tsollost]
    #313131 - 11/09/09 01:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well I think since it is a word embraced by the homosexual community, we need to respect that and not use it in a derogatory way. Because essentially, when a group of people choose to define themselves by a word, and others use it in a derogatory way you have a problem.

Sure that doesn't stop people from using it in a derogatory way. It's just like how some people still use nigger in a derogatory way. But would you say the word nigger in a derogatory way around a black person? Of course you wouldn't. Would you use it in a group of all white males, but not necessarily in a way that insults black people? Sure. The issue with gay people is that sometimes it's not so obvious who is gay and who isn't.

Also bare in mind, although you may not be using the word to specifically undermine gay people - some people do. In fact, a lot of people do. So by using the word so freely without restraint, what you are in fact doing is making anti-homosexual mentality an acceptable paradigm.

Remember that the homosexual community has suffered pretty hefty hate crimes over the past generation.

I think your history is a little off in claiming that homosexuals were happy and carefree and hence the labeling. I don't know how it happened either, but the way you just described it is the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

Maybe no ones going to think your "offensive," but if I were gay and I heard kids saying things like that, I'm not so sure I would feel so happy and carefree.

It's amazing how it comes off to you as people "flipping out over dumb shit" because of how natural it is for you to use the word.

But honestly, I don't who you are, what you do or what you say, nor do I care. Use whatever fucking crutch you need to compensate for your lack of vocabulary. Go to your fucking facebook and write about how using the word gay to describe things negatively is just awesome.

I'm just amazed that you guys get pissed off when someone tells you using gay in a negative way is derogatory. Again, it doesn't bother me that you do it, it bothers me that you defend using it. It's mind blowing.

Edited by TomCollins (11/09/09 01:54 PM)

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

Re: That's So gay [Re: TomCollins]
    #313136 - 11/09/09 01:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

ahem ahem

i really dont have a reaction to shit like that anymore. and im not really defending or not defending it. i know a gay dude that's actually fairly cool and i can say fag or whatever around him. not that we hang out all the time or anything.  and what about all the gay people saying "I'm Gay!!!" and announcing to everyone. and if you ask them, 95% of them will say, "I'm Gay", not "I'm homosexual." some will...most wont. and most gay people joke on themselves saying yeah im a fag and shit. calm down dude :nonono:

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#313140 - 11/09/09 02:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, your blatantly defending using the word, while at the same time claiming not to. That and you totally misunderstood me, bro. The gay people saying "I'm gay" is the reason some people want you to not use the word in a negative way. Because it's a word that is used to define a group of people. Yes gay people joke about it so do straight people, that's not the issue man. But, I honestly don't think you know what I'm getting at. It's the contexts where you insult something using that word that can be offensive. The word can be used inoffensively and offensively, and either way it is always directly linked to the homosexual community.

P.S. I'm very glad you have a gay friend that facilitates your bad habits. That is cool I must say.

--Edit--

Look bro, I'm not going to sit here and tell you what to do and what to think. Do whatever you want. That's just my take on things. I personally don't do it out of respect for gay people, and the reasons why are all above.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (11/09/09 02:10 PM)

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#313146 - 11/09/09 02:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i do know what you're getting at. its the context in which you use the word. some people might be offended by it.

for example, yesterday i was watching the football game with a friend of mine. the nfl rules state that a 1 oclock game cant be shown after quarter past the hour. so the game ended up turning off with 1 minute left. my friend and i said, "oh that's gay as fuck."

i would hope a gay (or straight) person would have enough common sense to realize that that wasn't directed towards them in a derogatory way. and if they didn't...well...ok. sorry you can't realize that. to each his own...you want a dick your mouth, go for it. i have nothing to do with that. but if im at a concert or whatever and i happen to let the "G BOMB" slip because the last band was "gay" and there's a "homosexual" within earshot who happens to hear it and comes up to me to tell me i shouldn't say that because it's offensive to "some people", im gonna laugh at him because he couldn't realize that it was in no way meant to offend him. it's an uncensored society we live in for shit like that, get over it and quit getting your panties in a bunch. not YOU, but whoever. white people getting called rednecks offends me i dont want people saying it anymore. :snub:

p.s.- i dont have a gay friend that facilitates my bad habits. i just know who the dude is. nice try at flaming though

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
You Have Heard of the Yetti
Male

#313148 - 11/09/09 02:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:
..................that video is so gay. :rofl:

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Loc: emerica
    #313150 - 11/09/09 02:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

check out these dominoes bros.

i have a bad habit of calling stupid stuff gay in front of my friends dad.

there's a look of pure hatred and annoyance in his eyes every time.

been trying to break teh habit.

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

They should teach african engineering at the college level.  mcgyver 101

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
    #313169 - 11/09/09 03:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
I think your history is a little off in claiming that homosexuals were happy and carefree and hence the labeling. I don't know how it happened either, but the way you just described it is the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

Maybe you cant read, I never said they were happy and carefree, I stated that "these individuals were carefree with the standard sexual practices of the time." For example following a sexual orientation that was not the norm of the time.

And for a person who is trying to act all high and mighty you sure don't understand what context is. The context of a word is the definition that is being expressed.

Different definitions of gay are.
1. Happy, carefree, etc...
2. Homosexual
3. Rubbish, Stupid, etc..

So If I say "That's gay" the context I would be using it in is that third one. So I can use the words gay, rubbish, and stupid all interchangeably. Also if they use it as a label for themselves calling a person, that identifies them selves as homosexual, gay isn't derogatory. So why are they insulted when we use a second definition of a word.

But congrats in addition to being the first person I have given a bad rating to you also get  :nignored:.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

OfflineTomCollins

#313183 - 11/09/09 04:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:
i do know what you're getting at. its the context in which you use the word. some people might be offended by it.

for example, yesterday i was watching the football game with a friend of mine. the nfl rules state that a 1 oclock game cant be shown after quarter past the hour. so the game ended up turning off with 1 minute left. my friend and i said, "oh that's gay as fuck."

i would hope a gay (or straight) person would have enough common sense to realize that that wasn't directed towards them in a derogatory way. and if they didn't...well...ok. sorry you can't realize that. to each his own...you want a dick your mouth, go for it. i have nothing to do with that. but if im at a concert or whatever and i happen to let the "G BOMB" slip because the last band was "gay" and there's a "homosexual" within earshot who happens to hear it and comes up to me to tell me i shouldn't say that because it's offensive to "some people", im gonna laugh at him because he couldn't realize that it was in no way meant to offend him. it's an uncensored society we live in for shit like that, get over it and quit getting your panties in a bunch. not YOU, but whoever. white people getting called rednecks offends me i dont want people saying it anymore. :snub:

p.s.- i dont have a gay friend that facilitates my bad habits. i just know who the dude is. nice try at flaming though

Alright man. Fair enough.

See, I think that saying the word gay in such a context (such as the one you presented with football) would in fact be derogatory, because your using a label for a group of people to describe something negatively. No matter what you say, I think thats disrespectful. Not offensive - I think that's the wrong word. I can't help but feel there is something wrong with using that word in such ways.

I don't think your a disrespectful/bad person because of it, but I just think that it's not very nice. :tongue: Obviously you disagree, because in certain contexts it's "ok" to use even the most repulsive of derogatory words (not that gay is one.) I will admit to that. I must confess, that in the confines of your home with people you know - I don't see a problem with anything you say, so long as it does not negatively affect others.

But lets say that homosexual, who was within earshot of you, as you were screaming "YOUR GAY! GET OFF THE STAGE!" came up to you and said this: "I'm gay...." How would you react to that? What are you gonna blow him off and just think that he's ignorant? I mean yeah, I agree sometimes it's just better to turn a blind eye to some shit or to simply realize that the person shouting gay is not shouting it at you, he's shouting it at some one else. But I mean, come on? Sensitivity man. :heart:

I don't do it out of respect, that's all. I understand where your coming from, and I know you don't have bad intentions. I just don't think it's a good word to use. I really don't have much more to say than that.

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:
And for a person who is trying to act all high and mighty you sure don't understand what context is. The context of a word is the definition that is being expressed.

Different definitions of gay are.
1. Happy, carefree, etc...
2. Homosexual
3. Rubbish, Stupid, etc..

So If I say "That's gay" the context I would be using it in is that third one. So I can use the words gay, rubbish, and stupid all interchangeably. Also if they use it as a label for themselves calling a person, that identifies them selves as homosexual, gay isn't derogatory. So why are they insulted when we use a second definition of a word.

But congrats in addition to being the first person I have given a bad rating to you also get  .

Wow, I'm sorry buddy. Alright man, that's fair enough. I didn't mean to step on you, I'm just putting out what I believe and what I do. I don't eat meat, because I think it's wrong as well. Nearly everyone disagrees with me, but I'm ok with that. I smoke weed because I think it's fun and it doesn't hurt anyone. Lots of people disagree with that too.

So do what you gotta do, I guess. It's easy to flip open the dictionary and say "Ha! Look what the book says! It's ambiguous." However, you know as well as I do that the first definition is almost completely unused and that the third was added because of this exact controversy. Also, bare in mind - not every dictionary added that third definition. It's not in Apples Dictionary nor is it on Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gay

It's not in the webster: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gay
Not in the Cambridge either: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/results.asp?searchword=gay&x=0&y=0
Couldn't find it in encarta: http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861674678

It's also not in any physical dictionaries I own. But I'm sure there are some that exist with that definition. I don't agree, and apparently a lot of other people don't either.

I think it's sad that we have to modify the dictionary because of shit like this.

P.S. What dictionary do you use? :tongue: I'd actually really like to see it.

--EDIT--
Corrected name of Cambridge Dictionary & added 1 more dictionary.

Edited by TomCollins (11/09/09 04:26 PM)

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#313197 - 11/09/09 04:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

if a gay person was within earshot of me yelling you're gay get off the stage and he came up to me and was like im gay, i would look at him and be like ok. whats the problem???

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#313198 - 11/09/09 04:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Was just making a point man. No one wants to be in that situation. No worries, I see your point man. It's all good. :smile:

p.s. Hope you'd at least say "I didn't mean it like that man."

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (11/09/09 04:55 PM)

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#313201 - 11/09/09 04:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

good

--------------------

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Loc: emerica
    #313215 - 11/09/09 05:17 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i saw this gay dude beat the shit out of a guy for yelling out gay slander.

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

They should teach african engineering at the college level.  mcgyver 101

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

Re: That's So gay [Re: MFDoom666]
    #313216 - 11/09/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

some of them can fight. its ignorant to run around yellin stupid shit like that anyway though

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: That's So gay [Re: MFDoom666]
    #313218 - 11/09/09 05:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry Im not reading these long-ass posts.  I would like to say that calling things retarded or crazy should be considered just as bad as calling something gay.  It is equally as offensive to people with mental disorders/retardation as gay is to homos.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: That's So gay [Re: SmOakland]
    #313249 - 11/09/09 06:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Look I don't want to play dictionary wars here, but those words as adjectives are in fact appropriate the way they were used - also I disagree with the notion that those two terms are the generic labels for mentally/physically handicapped people and for the mentally ill. It would seem to me those two groups of people, would not want to be associated with either of those two words. The word gay is different. Retarded and crazy were not the best words to use, and I apologies for appearing hypocritical.

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
    #313251 - 11/09/09 06:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You really don't think that calling something retarded is as offensive as calling something gay?

OfflineTomCollins

Re: That's So gay [Re: SmOakland]
    #313260 - 11/09/09 06:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well the way you phrase that would make me seem like an asshole if I answered it the way you expect me to. I can see how and why it would be offensive, and like I said I apologies for using it as I agree it was a poorly chosen word. However, if we're going to play the dictionary game, by definition calling something retarded to describe it in a negative way is in fact valid and appropriate. Calling something gay to describe it negatively is not appropriate, however.

I can see why someone would consider retarded offensive in the same way as gay, however I really think these two words are on different tiers here, primarily based on definition. In addition to this, gay is the label that gay people want to be associated with. Other than homosexual, it is their label that they have chosen.

While on the other hand, mentally handicapped is the more appropriate term for someone with mental disabilities. Calling someone mentally handicapped retarded is a tad insensitive, that I agree. However, comparing slanderous terms for clinical conditions to slanderous terms for an entire demographic and culture I think is a little bit.... to say the least.... off.

--Edit--

I think you might be missing the point of the thread just a little. I'm saying using gay is offensive, while others are claiming it is not. 

Edited by TomCollins (11/09/09 06:44 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale