Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

Just finished my setup
    #299404 - 10/17/09 07:23 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hi Guys,

I just finished my setup and thought I'd show you guys, and maybe get some feedback, tips and suggestions for improvement. :-)

It's definitely got it's flaws but it seems to work alright. I decided to go a bit of an alternative route with the design and actually based its function off of how a toilet works. I call it the flood and flush system.

It's actually quite funny because it makes a flushing sound when it drains. The overflow outlet is the one coming out of the side.

Basically, the overflow valve is always draining water. However its slow, because it has a bit of air going through the loop, which limits the flow. When the water level goes above the outlet, the airflow disappears and water cascades through and drags fuck loads of it with it and it pretty much drains the whole thing back bellow the overflow valve.

It's a bit temperamental though, if the loop was brought down so that it dipped before hitting the reservoir the thing might overflow, however its quite stable right now. I'm going to attach some strings to the loop to make sure that does not happen.

Believe it or not I built the system using a flood pump.

I was stupid enough to believe that the flow would be ok, if it were shot straight through the entire pipe. It shot the fucking cups right out of the holes! I should have taken a photo of this, and unfortunately it would be a pain to disassemble the pump to show you, but I modified the impeller with a hole saw which I thought was kinda clever. In any case, yeap this system runs on a fricken flood pump haha.

RIght now I've only got some basel in there just for testing purposes.

I'm using a perlite/vermiculite mixture as the medium. I'm using the hydroponic stack by "Advanced Hydroponics of Holland" and I'm splashing "Big Bud" in there as well (by splashing I mean measuring out and adding the recommended amount :P)

But yeah, I think it looks pretty neat and it makes me laugh when it "flushes." What do you guys think?

I'll be honest, I'm not bad at building things but nutrient solutions and things like that are not my strong point. Any tips on the nutes, flood intervals and duration and lighting? I had the HPS running on the plants before, but unfortunately they're going to be much closer to the light now because of the elevation. I removed the shelving originally above it though and attached the light as high up as possible, but is there a way to adjust light intervals to avoid heat damage? Right now it's just 18 light, 6 dark. 

In regards to the flood intervals. Right now they're a little less than 15 minutes long (old  timer, don't ask me) and occur every three hours.

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Just finished my setup [Re: TomCollins]
    #299426 - 10/17/09 08:40 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Looking Good :thumbup:

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just finished my setup [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #299514 - 10/18/09 12:02 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Welcome to the Growery!
If light can get out of that setup (picture three with the doors closed), then light can get in. 
Light getting in during lights off=hermaphrodites=pollen=seeded grows.
Gotta seal up that closet better.
Also, you need air movement/exchange...am I just not seeing the intake/exhaust in your pics?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Just finished my setup [Re: 81renaissance]
    #299544 - 10/18/09 05:02 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Really it needs to be light tight? Damn, I'll get in there with some duct tape and padding latter. I have the dark interval in the middle of the night though (24:00-06:00), but I definitely do not want a bad grow after building this guy.

Air movement is something I'll be working on as well. I'm going to go and buy a sleeve tomorrow and drill a hole in the ceiling, and rig up a computer fan to it. The light makes me really nervous running 18 hours a day and that close to a wood ceiling. I figure it'll be a good idea once buds start growing, by that time I'll have a filter up there to get rid of the smell.

Hey do you guys have any advice on flood intervals and duration? Bare in mind, when this thing stops flooding, it drains in about 2-3 min.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (10/18/09 05:11 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds