Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNektr
Stranger
 User Gallery
A Childhood Memory
    #297745 - 10/15/09 03:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thought I'd share.  This still makes me grin.

When I was 15, I was a typical stoner: I loved everything cannabis.  Being a resourceful kid that had roots in nature and self-reliance, I wanted to experiment with growing.  The laws and my parents that could abruptly end my operation and/or life didn't dissuade me.  Having no job, but a house full of materials to build a closet setup, I became a member of good ole' Cannabis Culture and started learning the essentials in growing.

My stoner friend's brother had a stealth setup made of a rubbermaid tub, tinfoil and a couple 15watt CFLs.  Yes, it was laughable and failed miserably.  I acquired their 4-pack of CFLs and told them I would try my hand at growing.  I had no money, so I couldn't buy the items I needed--and asking for money from parents always elicits a 'Why? For what do you need money?"  I wanted to avoid that!

I germinated my seedling quite easily since I was already a bit of a green thumb.  If I remember right, my grow box wasnt anymore elaborate, nor efficient than my friend's setup.  I used their CFLs, a cardboard box lined with dull-side out tinfoil and a CPU fan to keep things cool. 

I thought I was so cool: growing pot in my parent's house.  My setup sucked and was found one day (surprising huh? a humming cardboard box with slits of bluish light coming out of it).  It was my dad who found it.  He did tell me about it, but wasn't angry or disappointed.  He was more likely happy because of his past as being a stoner.  He never told me what he did with it either.

A few weeks later, I was in the backyard and saw a cage fashioned out of flexible steel mesh.  Had I seen that before I wondered?  I looked inside and moved the many layers of mesh obscuring what looked like a random weed growing inside it.  My parents' backyard always had tall weeds growing here and there, and I thought nothing of it.  I opened the 'cage' and found my baby...my plant I had started growing a month earlier.  Only this time, this plant wasn't my baby.  It was a much bigger, much healthier plant that wasn't sickly and stretching when it was in my hands.

I never mentioned it to my dad that I found it.  I thought it was best to just let it go.  Growing at that age--no money, living with parents, no control--wasn't worth it.

I don't know what he did with it.  Maybe the paranoia got to him and he destroyed it?  Not sure. 

It's nice being much older, living with your wife and being in your own house.  As long as the wife is cool with it, the ceiling's the limit in  indoor growing!:grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemeatcakeman
You Have Heard of the Yetti
Male

Re: A Childhood Memory [Re: Nektr]
    #297797 - 10/15/09 04:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Wow. That sounds exactly like the first time I ever tried growing.

Even the part about your dad and whatnot.

Except for me, my babies were halfway done with their flowering. :sad:

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflineKeith22
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: A Childhood Memory [Re: meatcakeman]
    #297831 - 10/15/09 04:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Wish I had that possibility. I couldnt risk it with my parents.

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Re: A Childhood Memory [Re: Nektr]
    #297928 - 10/15/09 07:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Nice story. 
I love hearing about people who had experiences like that as kids b/c I didn't really get into the culture until my early twenties.
Yeah, I'm like that guy that suddenly decides to start smoking cigarettes at 40...but with weed...and I'm not anywhere near 40 yet...in fact I'm not even 30, but you get the idea.
Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleFox
healer
Male

Loc: traveling
Re: A Childhood Memory [Re: 81renaissance]
    #298017 - 10/15/09 09:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I've had somewhat the same experience before.

I had a closet grow of mushrooms.  I had all my supplies in a big rubbermaid tub, and 6 jars almost fully colonized in a second rubbermaid tub.  Well I come home from work one day and find all of my stuff laying out in the living room with my parents sitting on the couch.

I tried to fake it off as my college biology experiment, but they didn't buy it.  I had to throw everything away, but since the jars were almost finished I buried them outside the next day and within a few weeks I had myself my very first outdoor harvest :dancer:

It's funny how when you're growing up you can know for sure you're doing the wrong thing but you'll find some way to justify in your own mind that it's okay to do..

--------------------

Offlinejrjr54321
 User Gallery

Re: A Childhood Memory [Re: Fox]
    #298022 - 10/15/09 10:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My very first grow was similiar, I found a seed in a dub i had bought back when i was like 16 or 17. I figured what the hell and throw it in a shot glass with potting soil. I didnt germinate first, just stuck it in the soil so it was barely covered. shit sprouted and started growing (100% success rate on germination my firrst try? jea!)I had to hide it from my parents(Jehovahs Witnesses, OH NO!) I loved having my own plant, it was incredible to watch it grow. unfortunately it didnt last long. My set up was ridiculously ghetto and inadequate, I had a cfl in a reptile light fixture inside an upside down trash can with bricks at the bottom to help with airflow. My plant started going downhill at about the 3-4 week stage. I still remember how happy i got when that little thing sprout in my little "i smoke weed to forget about my drinking problem" shot glass.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: A Childhood Memory [Re: jrjr54321]
    #298047 - 10/15/09 11:28 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

He he he......wife cool with it. She better be. That hasn't stopped her from bitching at me cause all the freezer space is taken up by trim I have to make into hash.

My first grow, damn that was some time ago 79 or 80 I guess. My parents figured no way in hell is he gonna be able to grow a plant without killing it. Well it grew and it got big. Started to bud pretty good but then my older brother ran into it. He took half which my mom found. This is the point in my life when I learned how to withstand torture. No matter how much he beat my ass I wouldn't give up my half of the bud. :insano:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Loc: emerica
Re: A Childhood Memory [Re: Magash]
    #298084 - 10/16/09 12:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

your bro sounds like a real punk.

i hope you don't hook him up these days.

:vaped:

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

They should teach african engineering at the college level.  mcgyver 101

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: A Childhood Memory [Re: MFDoom666]
    #298197 - 10/16/09 06:44 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well he ended up moving up to Mendo and taking me with him a few years later. I started by being a trimmer for him then moved on to my own grows.

Besides he paid for having me a little brother. He had big party plans. Zeppelin was coming to town and he was jacked. Then he got hit with "The only way your going to that concert is if you take your little brother" of course he ditched me till the end of the show but was still pissed he had to drag me along. I would have been. :bigweed:

He's still a punk. :wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale