Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedjstan627
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

How to Harvest
    #263298 - 08/11/09 02:06 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I've been searching for a little while now, and have given up and decided to make a post for it: I'm looking for information regarding harvesting, specifically cutting the bud off. I'm interested in knowing where to cut the plant, when to do it, what tools to use, and any other tips you might have for me. If you have pics to show me (or a diagram, what ever's clever) that'd help me out even more. I'd like to harvest some of it, as there's a decent amount of pistils turning orange, but I'm afraid to cut anything because there's even more that are still white. I've read about the regeneration, and think that may be my best option. About the best I can tell, I should cut buds from nodes off the stem or trunk, whichever is easier, trim any excess leaves and let the rest of the buds continue to grow until maturity?

--------------------

Video games don't affect kids.
If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms,
munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.
- Nintendo CEO

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: How to Harvest [Re: djstan627]
    #263304 - 08/11/09 02:14 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

leave it alone and when the crystals (trichomes) turn milky white to amber, then cut the plant at the base, manicure it by taking all the big fan leaves and snow leaves off so theirs more airflow for when you hang it up to dry......then when dried put it in a container and exchange the air like once/ twice per day to "cure" your buds....

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: How to Harvest [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #263319 - 08/11/09 02:29 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

If you want to reveg do you just cut off the flowers?

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How to Harvest [Re: Buddy]
    #263322 - 08/11/09 02:33 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

i personally dont believe its worth trying to reveg. after harvest to get a second harvest..... by the time it takes to get back on track after the stress i could already have clones goin strong......

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

#263332 - 08/11/09 02:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Then you lose budsites, and have to have more than one room going at the same time.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How to Harvest [Re: Buddy]
    #263355 - 08/11/09 03:24 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

im not quite sure what you what your trying to say, but if you can train a plant to have lots of internodes, then you can do it again;)......and its really not that much of an inconvenience to have a mother vegging somewhere.....i have mine outside at the moment.....or get the clones from a friend.....

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Edited by Dr. Siekadellyk (08/11/09 03:27 PM)

OfflineeTarded
Clubbed to Death...
Male User Gallery

#263368 - 08/11/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I agree, I wouldn't recommend re-vegging for any reason other than saving a good strain that would be lost otherwise.  It takes a couple weeks to recover from the harvest and even start to grow, and then a few more weeks before it produces anything worth flowering a second time.

A better option is to just take a few clones from underneath the main canopy as you throw the plant into flowering then by the time that plant is harvested the clone will be ready to go.  I always do some pruning of the under canopy as I throw em in flowering anyway.

Pistil color is not the best indicator of harvest time, I've had strains go completely orange during week 7, and strains that finish with 20% still white.  Like Dr. Siekadellyk said, trichome color is the best way to tell.  Once you start seeing a good amount of trichomes on the main colas turn to amber you're good to cut.

Two part harvests aren't a bad idea if you don't have plants waiting to enter the flowering box, I've done it a few times. The smaller buds underneath won't pack on much weight but the trichomes will ripen up in about a week to two weeks time.  Lately, I just chop it all up at once and save the small popcorn buds for edibles or early smoke while the rest is curing.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to Harvest [Re: eTarded]
    #263548 - 08/11/09 08:00 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Here is a thread talking about the same thing.

Quote:

geokills said:
Quote:

FrakersFarm said:

Now the pistils are beginning to turn orange which I know means it's starting to decrease in potency.

People seem to have you pretty well covered here, but I wanted to just chime in real quick to set something straight that may have been a little confusing (or maybe not, in which case, please forgive my bantering! :tongue:).

The pistils on a marijuana plant can often "ripen" brown or red or orange well before the bud has reached its optimal maturity.  Pistil color and shape is highly variable based on both the strain and environmental conditions for your plant, and cannot be relied on as a method to determine when to harvest, especially as a plant can often pump out a new round of fresh pistils mid-way through the flowering process.

What should be relied on as an indicator of maturity, are the trichomes (or resin glands).  They are much smaller than the pistils and reflect light to make your bud appear shiny or dank.  Sometimes referred to as crystals.  These small resinous glands will begin their journey for the most part clear, and as the flowers mature, the resin glands will begin to cloud over and ultimately turn amber in color.

You may need a magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe to adequately access the condition of your resin glands, as they are quite small.  Generally speaking, a good time to harvest is anytime between the point that a good portion of your resin glands have started to cloud over or are beginning to turn amber.  The rule of thumb is that the earlier your harvest (before the amber stage sets in), the more psychedelic-cerebral THC you'll have in your end product; versus waiting for more amber glands, which results in more of the THC being converted into various more sedative cannabinoid compounds.

Here's a graphic example that I pulled from Google Images:

Lastly, I noticed that you mentioned you had only fed your plants once during flowering.  Plants should be fed throughout flowering, though you may wish to stop the feeding about two weeks prior to harvest, so that the plant can have time to metabolize the last batch of nutrients which will allow the end product to have a better taste.  If you are only three weeks into flowering, don't stress.  Give your babies another dose of nutes (of the NPK variety, make sure there is more P than N or K - flowering makes plants hungry for phosphorous), and add some more light if you can!

Then all you have to do is be patient and see what you get. :ganja:

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How to Harvest [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #263634 - 08/11/09 10:38 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

A better option is to just take a few clones from underneath the main canopy as you throw the plant into flowering then by the time that plant is harvested the clone will be ready to go.

:thumbup:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Offlinedjstan627
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#263989 - 08/12/09 05:36 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I would have liked clones, but this was my first grow so I wanted to see how I would do just growing, and have learned a lot. Any clones I would have taken would have been shit, but I'm gonna try on my next batch. Thanks for the info spacemonkey, I hadn't seen that thread yet. Really all I wanted to know was the best methods of cutting the buds off the plants, if there were any. But, I took two of my not-so-good-looking plants and practiced on those, and decided to practice on those while I let the others mature. I wish I could tell what the trichomes looked like, but alas, I have no magnifying glass powerful enough.

--------------------

Video games don't affect kids.
If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms,
munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.
- Nintendo CEO

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: How to Harvest [Re: djstan627]
    #264387 - 08/13/09 12:33 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

It's pretty much common sense at least for me, it just felt natural even on my first harvest.  Just cut the whole plant off at the bottom, then cut off individual branches, cut off all of the leaves bigger than 1/2" or so and hang all of the branches in a low humidity room from racks or clotheshangers... a fan in the corner of the room, to move air would be nice too.  after they are dry (stems inside the bud snap instead of bend) put them into mason jars for 1-2 weeks, letting them breathe 2-3 times a day for 5-10 minutes.  Smoke and ENJOY!

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom