Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezielonagora
Stranger than some

fridge box
    #250117 - 07/16/09 06:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So i've been contemplating how to be as stealthy as possible and I was curious if there are any growerites who've experimented with a fridge as a grow box.

I'm thinking of buying a cheap, functioning  fridge and boring a light hole through the floor of the freezer (i'm talking about a vertically stacked fridge and freezer...apt style). then boring a hole through the back of the actual fridge to install a ventilation which would be duct out of a small attic window. then putting the fridge on a timer to regulate temperature. humidity could be an issue. but i'm thinking that my idea has potential. anyone know about cutting through fridge material? what kind of tools to use?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fridge box [Re: zielonagora]
    #250136 - 07/16/09 07:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Check out this thread from over at icmag.
Freezerboy rocked this stealth grow for sure!

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflinebI0HaZ

Re: fridge box [Re: 81renaissance]
    #250570 - 07/17/09 04:45 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Funny to see this because I've made one recently.  I'll go and take pics to post after this.  I don't extensive knowledge on growing since I've only grown 4 projects.  But I have currently shifted my closet grow to get the stealthiness up in the fridge.  It's working well and it's keeping perfect temps.  I bought a set of 5 120mm computer fans and only needed to install 3.  I still require a few things, like a mini carbon filter, fan controller and once it gets hotter I may need to throw in more fans.  It helps that I've been playing with computers since I was young.  I still need to light proof it and get rid of the wiring to make if look fully fridge-like but at the moment I am satisfied with what I made. And if more people show interest I will happily make a log.

I've posted pics in the thread where I asked the same questions here.

As to cutting the fridge I would recommend a grinder.  I did't have access to any real tools.  I just hacked with a chisel and hammer :tongue:

Edited by bI0HaZ (07/17/09 05:23 AM)

Offlinezielonagora
Stranger than some

Re: fridge box [Re: bI0HaZ]
    #250631 - 07/17/09 10:32 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well, from what I can see a one-chamber fridge is my best bet. temperature regulation will be difficult since I'm using a 250hid lamp. I'm curious, why couldn't i just put the fridge on a timer to regulate the temps? Will that even work if I drill exhaust holes/cord holes?

OfflinebI0HaZ

#251014 - 07/18/09 09:56 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm using a 400w HID in my one and I have great temps, but it's quite cool where I put it.

Quote:

zielonagora said:
I'm curious, why couldn't i just put the fridge on a timer to regulate the temps? Will that even work if I drill exhaust holes/cord holes?

Thats also an interesting idea.  But I went and found a broken fridge for cheap, just as a box that doesn't look too suspicious.  For me heat doesn't seem to be an issue.

Offlinezielonagora
Stranger than some

Re: fridge box [Re: bI0HaZ]
    #251271 - 07/19/09 12:41 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

is there room in that thing for a carbon filter and an inline exhaust fan for odor control?

Quote:

zielonagora said:
I'm curious, why couldn't i just put the fridge on a timer to regulate the temps? Will that even work if I drill exhaust holes/cord holes?

Thats also an interesting idea.  But I went and found a broken fridge for cheap, just as a box that doesn't look too suspicious.  For me heat doesn't seem to be an issue.

i'm wanting to keep it in my garage that has no ac

Edited by zielonagora (07/19/09 12:42 AM)

OfflinebI0HaZ

#251286 - 07/19/09 06:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

My one is also in the garage.  It's the coolest place in the house and it seems to be working quite well. 
Also I guess you could put in a carbon filter, but something quite small.  But I intend to make a couple of home made filters to see what works best for my fridge.
As to the fan I don't know the dimensions of your fan so I would have no idea on how well it will fit in the fridge.  If it isn't much bigger then a 120mm computer fan you should have no problems.  Just consider the positioning and you should be fine.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder