Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinespacemonkey69
Trusted Vaporizer

Loc: Flag
Mother of 555 pound teenager charged with neglect
    #243595 - 06/27/09 09:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

(CBS) A mother is being charged with neglecting her obese teenage son, raising issues about whether the government has the right to intervene in one's family life.

Born and raised in South Carolina, Alexander Draper grew up to reach a dangerous 555 pounds by the age of 14. That's when law enforcement stepped in.

"The first and foremost concern is Alexander's health," Lt. Shea Smith told CBS News.

Alexander's mother, Jerri Gray, was charged with unlawful neglect of a child for allowing him to become obese.

"There have been opportunities to get Alexander some treatment over the course of the last several months and unfortunately some of those things have not been taken advantage of," Smith said.

But Gray, released from jail Monday on $50,000 bond, says she does not have enough money to get her son the treatment he needs.

Alexander is in the custody of the Department of Social Services, who in a statement to CBS News said they only intervene when "health care professionals believe a child is at risk of harm."

"Obviously her son is certainly in need of some medical attention," Lt. Smith said.

Jerri Gray and her defense attorney, Kim and Grant Varner, appeared on The Early Show Thursday to discuss the situation.

Asked how his weight gain got so out of control, Gray said, "Well, a lot of times it had to do with lifestyle. A lot of times I had to work fulltime second shift or fulltime, third shift. And I wasn't home a lot."

Gray told guest host and "Britain's Got Talent" judge Amanda Holden she had been monitoring her son's diet, but that there were times she had to purchase fast food, when she'd have to sleep between shifts.

Asked if there are steps she could've taken earlier to have helped him not reach that level of weight, Gray said, "When I had a second shift hob, I would've rather been home, so that I could've spent more time focusing on preparing more low-fat type-meals."

While Alex is under state care right now, Gray believes her son needs to be with her. "Mentally he needs to be with me. We both need to be included together in whatever program that they have to offer so that we both can benefit from it. So as our lives go on together, then we will have learned how to control it and keep it under control."

http://www.wbbm780.com/Mother-of-555-pound-teenager-charged-with-neglect/4679023

--------------------
[quote]
“You see this glass bong?” asks Achaan Chaa, the Thai meditation master. “For me this glass is already broken. I enjoy it; I smoke out of it. It holds my water admirably, sometimes even reflecting the sun in beautiful patterns. If I should tap it, it has a lovely ring to it. But when I put this glass bong on the shelf and the wind knocks it over or my elbow brushes it off the table and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, ‘Of course.’ When I understand that the glass is already broken, every moment with it is precious.”[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Mother of 555 pound teenager charged with neglect [Re: spacemonkey69]
    #243597 - 06/27/09 09:33 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

While I don't like the government intervening where it shouldn't that's no doubt neglect on the part of the mother. You don't just wake up one day and become 555 lbs.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Mother of 555 pound teenager charged with neglect [Re: THEBats]
    #243631 - 06/27/09 10:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah thats true but as she says she works like 3 jobs and really doesnt have time to make a healthy meal. I'm not saying thats an excuse but a 14 year old should have some controll over what they eat, I mean by the age of 10 I pretty much made myself food.

Offlinetlc
medicated
Female

Loc: Washington
Re: Mother of 555 pound teenager charged with neglect [Re: Triptonic]
    #243833 - 06/28/09 06:36 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

wow, I always thought with neglect you are likely to end up with an under-weight kid if anything..
I don't sympathize with the mother at all maybe it would be different if the kid was not 555lbs at age 14. any mother that is looking out for the child's best interest would have caught on that her child wasn't healthy and long before 500 pounds.
personally I would think the mother has some physiological problems some maybe from letting her son fill the void(that she is responsible for)with food.
I agree, feeding a family and being a working woman must be hard especially when ends don't meet but c'mon that is ridiculous, using jobs to cover up what is going on with your kids... isn't that sort of denial?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom