Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCorrie
Polite Lunatic
 User Gallery

Newbie question?
    #228463 - 05/19/09 11:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, so, I'm new at the growery, and new in growing in general, but was thinking about growing this fall. So---I'm gonna be gone for two months, and won't be back till the end of august. Would it be alright to plant my seeds at the end of august? I live in SOCAL, so winter doesn't set in until mid-November. I'm clear on how to germinate them, etc, and was thinking of starting them indoors and then planting them outside in a massive grove of trees about a mile from here, pretty far away from anything suspicious, but what lighting can I use to start them off? Grow lights are a bit too pricey for me at the moment. Can I use one of those long-life twisty bulbs, if I keep the light-and-dark periods manually? Thanks so much, all. :smile: Oh yeah, and I was thinking about doing Swiss Cheese. Any help on strains, or is that ok?

--------------------
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." --Angela Monet

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

:mushroom2::eek:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie question? [Re: Corrie]
    #228511 - 05/20/09 08:05 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Corrie said:
Would it be alright to plant my seeds at the end of august?

no.  you need to read up a bit on the growth cycle of marijuana.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newbie question? [Re: Yrat]
    #228561 - 05/20/09 11:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

If you start them indoors now, and germinate and veg them till august, it will work. But your window for starting this is rapidly closing. Unless you pick a fast growing strain like Early Girl. That might by you a few extra weeks. otherwise, outdoor seed planted in august probly wont have a very high success rate at all.

Edited by Integra21 (05/22/09 12:39 AM)

OfflineCorrie
Polite Lunatic
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie question? [Re: Integra21]
    #228634 - 05/20/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, thanks, I looked it up again. I'm going to try and start next spring, is that better, like in march or april? It's just that I'll be gone for about two months in july, and I don't think that'd work out too well. But is it ok for those twisty-bulbs? Or even reg light bulbs? Thanks so much guys. This must be pretty darn frustrating, to have to keep repeating yourselves.

--------------------
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." --Angela Monet

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Edited by Corrie (05/20/09 03:03 PM)

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#228667 - 05/20/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

if you germinate them now, and get them outdoors before you leave, there is a good chance the guerrilla grow might be there when you get back.  you might as well try if you've got extra bagseeds lying around.

if you decide to wait until next spring, you have plenty of time to hang around here and pick up some good, basic growing knowledge.  i assume by twisty-bulbs you mean fluorescent, which can be very good at growing plants indoors.  regular light bulbs, or incandescents, are worthless.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineCorrie
Polite Lunatic
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie question? [Re: Yrat]
    #230661 - 05/22/09 08:49 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, I was gonna order seeds, but that's alright. Ok, thanks so much ya'll!!!

--------------------

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

#244358 - 06/29/09 08:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Here's a handy tool to use after you'd read up on the grow cycle etc and know how much hours of light per day you need for each stage of growth. Put in your area, and time of year etc to find out how many hours of sunlight you'll get.

You want around 14 hours of sunlight, not necessarily direct for your start of vegetative growth. So maybe germinating them and starting off under some CFL's to get them going. Then sticking them out around June. Just an undeveloped guess.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=24

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: Newbie question? [Re: Buddy]
    #244412 - 06/29/09 09:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldn't recommend ordering seeds until you have done at least one grow. Its not going to be so painful if things go wrong the first time.

But yeah, next year would be best. I would probably germ some bag seed now regardless.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: Newbie question? [Re: ethnoguy]
    #244621 - 06/30/09 01:32 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I've never come across seeds in a bag of green. Suppose it might be down to the fact that most of the stuff we get here's smuggled in from Amsterdam, and was grown professionally. And I imagine they don't want people getting their seeds for free.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies