Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePotheadBob
Rainy weather okay to transplant outside?
    #21028 - 05/06/08 04:45 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hey everyone,

Well, my seedlings are now about 2.5 weeks old and they're getting pretty big. It looks like many have entered veg as they have really been picking up growth speed. I'm getting worried the roots are going to get bound up in the 16 ounce cups I started them in if I don't get them outside soon.

The lows here are still in the fourties at night and we're expecting rainy, cloudy weather for like the next week. Is this a good time to transplant? Or is it better to transplant when the plants will get a lot of sun? Will the low nightly temperatures stress or kill the plants?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Rainy weather okay to transplant outside? [Re: PotheadBob]
    #21878 - 05/07/08 06:48 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

when you transplant you should water the plants in their new spots to get the roots ready and going. you don't want roots sitting in dusty-dry soil or there is a good chance you will kill them. so in this sense, transplanting during a rainy spell is perfect.

low forties is fine. i have a bunch of plants out right now, and the other week we had a freak frost and it dropped down to 28F here, killed off most of my vegetable garden. i went back to my spot a week later with more babies to replace the ones that i thought for sure had melted, but to my surprise none had perished. i actually had trouble finding new space for all the new ones.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflinePotheadBob
Re: Rainy weather okay to transplant outside? [Re: Yrat]
    #22294 - 05/07/08 07:15 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Yrat.  I just finished putting half of them outside a few hours ago.  Unfortunatly, because they're so low to the ground and difficult to see, I stepped on one :mad2:  I propped it back up, but we'll see if it makes it. 

One thing I noticed is that after digging about 10-12 inches down, the soil has a lot of clay in it and it's really hard.  Do you think this will hinder the growth of the plants?  Do they grow alright in clay? 

If that won't work out so well, at least I only moved half of them to start.  I'll be able to haul in my own topsoil for the rest.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#22664 - 05/08/08 07:06 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

clay is no good, but if it's a least a foot down you can still dig a nice sized hole and fill it with good soil. continue your holes several inches into the clay and add your topsoil. by doing this you can effectively make a clay "pot" which will help trap and retain water for your roots.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

Offlinesilentgrow

Re: Rainy weather okay to transplant outside? [Re: Yrat]
    #22704 - 05/08/08 10:21 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

will my germ. seeds be okay if they have already rooted a wee bit (2 in biggest) its real rainy i think they should be okie dokie

OfflinePotheadBob
Re: Rainy weather okay to transplant outside? [Re: silentgrow]
    #22808 - 05/08/08 02:10 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, so one to one and a half feet of good soil should be enough then. I guess the 5 that were transplanted already will have to make due with a foot, but I'll haul up some good potting mix to the grow for the rest. Thanks.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#22819 - 05/08/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

silent, you should be fine

bob, at least a foot down and a foot across = :thumbup: , but the bigger the better

--------------------

~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies