Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware!
    #189707 - 01/26/09 04:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm pretty sure you all know how pot has a tendency to make music all the more awesomer! :tongue2::spliff:
So it should stand to reason that some of you out there are playin' some instruments yourself.

I started out with nearly a decade of piano lessons in my early youth, but unfortunately this experience
was forced upon me against my will.  Because my parents didn't let me choose what to play and enforced
mandatory practice everyday, my childish mind rebelled with resentment and I did not take away from the
experience nearly what I believe would have been possible had I willfully dedicated myself to the project.
On the upside, it did give me some understanding of music theory and familiarized myself with the instrument
and process of making music.

I've played mostly uprights and grands, but this Yamaha s90 keyboard is what I have for myself right now.
The weed is from my years in college at UC Santa Cruz, back in 2002-2004 when this picture was taken:

Here's a more recent shot from this morning:

Sound is fed through a pair of Alesis M1 Active monitors, which are totally kickass li'l beasties:

I haven't been playing this keyboard much over the past several years, but recently plugged it in and
am excited to get goin' again.  It helps that my new girlfriend wants me to roll through some basics
with her.  I believe this coalescing of events will make for a solid resurgence in the practice of
this fine instrument.

What I have been playing a lot over the past several years is the 6-string acoustic guitar. Still haven't
had any formal lessons on the matter, but you would be amazed at how accustomed you can get to an
instrument simply by fooling around with it.  It may be slow going and quite frustrating to begin with,
but if you can stick with it, it will pay off!

Here's my Carlos Model No. 275 "Quality Product of Korea" acoustic:

This guy has been with me for well over a decade now, my father having purchased it from a pawn shop for
me during high school when I first professed how I wished to learn the guitar.  Being an easily distracted
kid at the time, I never gave it an honest chance until I found myself in my third year of college at UC
Santa Cruz.  Here's a sweet shot of this little piece of family hangin' out on the rocks at Bonny Dune
beach just north of Santa Cruz, California roadside Highway 1:

These are definitely my two favorite instruments to play at the present time... though I have been
collecting many over my years, in order to allow for variety and also so that my friends can have
something to jam with whenever the moods may strike and we are hangin' out together!

Let's see what you got, and I'll show you a li'l more of what I have kickin' around! :gethigh:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: geokills]
    #189715 - 01/26/09 05:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I wish I could play music. I've got it in my soul but never could seem to develop the coordination for. Have tried over and over and finally accepted the fact that I will just have to appreciate some of my many other talents.

Some nice pics there Geo. Thanks for sharing.

OfflineConcreteJungle
Herbsman

Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: geokills]
    #189724 - 01/26/09 05:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think I have a digi camera :frown: Maybe I should get one.

I mainly play guitar,  but I know a lot of theory so I can write my own tunes and such.  I mostly play folk music,  I'm looking for a drummer to play with very badly. 

Anywho,  I own a Applause Acoustic guitar,  a Fender american Deluxe strat (i'm not worthy), an Ibanez gio electric,  a home-made strat-similar electric,  a mandolin,  and a crappy keyboard and a old hammond organ that has some minor problems

But I would like to get better at the piano,  I  am not the greatest note reader however.

I've recently wanted to pick up a saxophone which was my first instrument.

--------------------

Invisiblemaggotz

#189726 - 01/26/09 05:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

yeah, i play guitar mostly. i have an ibanez rg, a jackson dinky and a strat knockoff. also a basic yamaha acoustic, nothing special but i like it and it was cheap. i run them trough my little peavey practice amp or a small 30w marshall or the spider 3. don't have any pics of them but i found some online.

these aren't the exact models i have but you get the idea.
i also have an ibanez bass and bass amp. i can also play the keyboard, flute and drums but i don't own any of those.

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: maggotz]
    #189739 - 01/26/09 06:32 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Looks slick!  Sounds like we have a couple collectors 'round here too. :awesome:

ConcreteJungle, I have a friend who just started getting serious on the mando and he's rockin' it damn
well.  Recently upgraded to a Kentucky F-style (which I got to play around with yesterday and which I'll
try to snap a pic of next time he's over). He also has a hankerin' to try his hand a tenor sax, but for now
I think he's dedicated on the mandolin, taking weekly private lessons and practicing his ass off e'ryday.

Same friend built this handsome electric back around the turn of the century.  He gave it to me on loan
when he saw that I was interested in learning how to play (since he already has quite a collection
himself), and I've been enjoying it ever since for several years now!! 

Thanks Pete :heart: - If you ever read this, you've been a huge inspiration for me! :yesnod:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineConcreteJungle
Herbsman

#189743 - 01/26/09 06:39 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah,  I wish I could snap a picture of my mandolin,  they're nice to look at.  I can play around on it pretty decently because it's basically an upside down bass. 

That's amazing you're buddy built that axe!  Mine was a piece of shit.  Did he cut the body himself?

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: ConcreteJungle]
    #189746 - 01/26/09 06:46 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

He cut the body and top piece himself (wish I could remember the types of wood off hand), glued 'em together, sanded and finished all nice in his high school wood shop class.  It wasn't until a couple of years later that he finally gathered all the electronics (double Seymour Duncan pickups) and a prefab birds-eye maple Fender neck and put it all together.  It plays very sweetly with very easy action, but one problem is that there is a big protrusion of wood at the base of the neck where it meets the body piece (you can just barely see its profile in the first pic)... a critical design flaw that makes it a little difficult to play in the highest frets - but hey it's the first guitar he made and all in all, it's fucking sexy and sounds great!

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineCannabliss

#189751 - 01/26/09 06:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Drums for five years trumpet for two, don't play anything now.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
    #189752 - 01/26/09 06:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Fender strat.

I started playing in 6th grade and got that geetar in 10th grade - right about the time i started blazin.  I am a much better pothead than guitar player.

I really want to get a sitar but I think I will start up a photography hobby instead.  :shrug:

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Invisiblemaggotz

#189759 - 01/26/09 07:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i really want to build my own guitar someday. must feel good in the same way smoking stuff you grew yourself feels good.

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: maggotz]
    #189763 - 01/26/09 07:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'd bet it does! :yesnod:

Here's a shot of the amp I'm using for my buddy Pete's home made.  Believe it or not, an entirely different
friend (some of you may know him as LiquidSmoke at the Shroomery) has left this thing at my house for
almost three years now while he's in med school on the east coast!

I don't know how I get so lucky. :biggrin:

In addition to the guitars and the keyboard, I also picked up this nifty Ibanez Soundgear 5 string
bass from a used listing on Craigslist a few years back.  I didn't (and don't) have a major drive to play
the bass, but I wanted to flesh out my collection and managed to pick this bad boy up for about $200!
When I drove over to the guy's place that was selling it, he had converted an entire room into a full on
recording studio!

I was impressed, and though I haven't really given this thing a fair shot - it does sound really cool.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Invisibleautoman
blasted chipmunk

#189779 - 01/26/09 08:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

maggotz said:
i really want to build my own guitar someday. must feel good in the same way smoking stuff you grew yourself feels good.

That's what I do for a living. I own a company that builds and repairs stringed instruments. Here's a bass I'm working on right now:

Next to it is a solid purpleheart neck I am working on for a guitar.

--------------------
wiccan you need a big glass of shut the fuck up ~ Stein
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr
I wish my lawn was emo, cuz then it would cut itself ~ paraphrased by coda

Invisiblemaggotz

Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: automan]
    #189789 - 01/26/09 08:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

is that the one you posted about on the shroomery? haven't really checked that thread lately. but yeah, i really want to build one from scratch at some point.

what about the pickups? could i build them at home and still have a decent sound? cuz that would be awesome.

OfflineConcreteJungle
Herbsman

Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: automan]
    #189795 - 01/26/09 08:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

automan said:
That's what I do for a living. I own a company that builds and repairs stringed instruments. Here's a bass I'm working on right now:

Next to it is a solid purpleheart neck I am working on for a guitar.

Shit man,  you're awesome.  I'm giving you 5 stars.  Make me a custom geetar! Do you guys make acoustics?

--------------------

OfflineDrunkenAttempt
 User Gallery

Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: ConcreteJungle]
    #189855 - 01/26/09 10:55 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I play bass, guitar, just starting to learn drums...write tons of music but havn't been in a band in quite some time...probably gonna work on something this summer when i have some free time.

--------------------
Hey Hey Hey, Smoke Weed Every Day!

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: DrunkenAttempt]
    #189861 - 01/26/09 11:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I play guitar.

Basically that guitar but with a killswitch installed.

And this head on a marshall 1960 4x12 cab.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Invisibletsollost
Master of Mopery

Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: THEBats]
    #189888 - 01/27/09 01:28 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i haven't seriously played in a few years but i still have one acoustic/electric left

--------------------
GUNGA GALUNGA

Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: tsollost]
    #189972 - 01/27/09 11:17 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i've been playin guitar for about 10 years now, not so much anymore.  over that time ive had a bunch of different guitars - bc rich beast, ibanez talman, fender strat (think it was a 74 reissue), couple different acoustics, etc.  i can do rudimentary drumming, and bass.

last couple years been doing a lot of electronic music (IDM, house) and fiddling around with DJing house and DNB.  at home i use a pair of KRK v4 series 2 monitors, they are pretty awesome.

OfflineMistaUNGA
green crack GREEN CRACK!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kalifornien, im Süden...
    #189983 - 01/27/09 12:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

just started playing guitar in july. my brother lent me his takamine G series acoustic that i've been foolin around on.

my friends brother has an old fender (not sure what model) that he doens't play so imma try and pick that up cheap and see if i can borrow my bro's amp and do some shredding :headbanger:

i learned a little bit of trumpet and violin in elementary school, but that knowledge has since gone by the wayside.

--------------------
I'm an electric smoker :gc:

ExplosiveMango said:
If everyone could do mushroom, yes, it would be a wonderful world. This will never be, only some can do mushrooms. It is the responsibility of those of us who see the world most clearly to pass the clarity on to those who cannot bare to wear our lenses.

Madtowntripper said:Or just give her a cloroform soaked rag and tell her it's ether!

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: Any Musicians on board? Tell Us Your Story & Show Off Your Hardware! [Re: MistaUNGA]
    #193352 - 02/08/09 03:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order