Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblecoAsTal
Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws
    #112593 - 08/21/08 10:01 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

This is historic!!! :grin::gethigh:

Quote:

Federal Court Rules U.S. Government May Not Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws (8/20/2008)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SAN JOSE, CA - In a first-of-its-kind ruling, a federal court today held that the U.S. Constitution bars deliberate subversion by the federal government of state medical marijuana laws.

"Utilizing selective arrests and prosecutions, the federal government has sought to sabotage California’s reasoned approach to medical marijuana use," said Graham Boyd, Director of the ACLU Drug Law Reform Project. "For the first time, a court has recognized that a calculated plan by the federal government to undercut state medical marijuana laws is patently unconstitutional. Today’s decision forecasts an end to any organized federal effort to sabotage state medical marijuana laws."

While previous high-profile cases affirmed the federal government’s power to enforce federal drug laws against individual medical marijuana patients and providers on a case-by-case basis, today’s ruling clearly recognizes that a calculated pattern of federal enforcement can render state medical marijuana laws effectively inoperable, which would violate the Tenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

"It is obvious to anyone paying attention that federal officials have gone to great lengths to sabotage state efforts to allow for appropriate medical marijuana use," said Boyd. "The court made clear that this deliberate interference - once proved - would be unequivocally unconstitutional."

The case, County of Santa Cruz v. Mukasey, originated in 2003 when Bingham McCutchen LLP and the Drug Policy Alliance, along with private attorneys Gerald F. Uelmen and Benjamin Rice, sued the federal government for raiding a Santa Cruz-area medical marijuana cooperative, the Wo/Men’s Alliance for Medical Marijuana.

The ACLU and others argued, and the court agreed, that the U.S. Constitution permits states to determine for themselves what is legal and what is illegal under state law, and that the federal government may not deliberately undermine this process.

"The federal government has purposely set out to systematically subvert California’s medical marijuana program," said Daniel Abrahamson, director of legal affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance. "Let us hope that this ruling leads to the merciful end of the federal government’s cruel war on sick and dying medical marijuana patients."

In today’s ruling, which rejected the federal government’s motion to dismiss the case, Judge Jeremy Fogel of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose Division, relied on U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit Chief Judge Alex Kozinski’s opinion in Conant v. Walters, which stated, in part, "Applied to our situation, this means that, much as the federal government may prefer that California keep medical marijuana illegal, it cannot force the state to do so."

In addition to U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey, the lawsuit names as defendants U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents involved in the raid of WAMM, and administrators of the DEA and Office of National Drug Control Policy.

The court’s ruling is available online at: www.aclu.org/drugpolicy/medmarijuana/36494lgl20080820.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSativus
Brosef Knecht
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: coAsTal]
    #112598 - 08/21/08 10:10 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:rockon:

I saw they were debating this, glad to hear the courts sided with law & justice (rare for the two to go together, ennit?)

--------------------
Bufotenin
PiHKAL|TiHKAL|PCPiHKAL
Rhodium|Wetdreams|Synthetikal
DMT Extraction Overview|Jungle Spice
I Discovered the Oakridge Strain

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: Sativus]
    #112600 - 08/21/08 10:12 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sweet, Hope this makes the news (tv news I mean) :laugh:

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

InvisiblecoAsTal
Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #112604 - 08/21/08 10:19 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I have a feeling that anything 10th-Amendment-affirming will be avoided at all costs by the MSM-- call it a hunch...

Regardless-- we're winning, and this is a powerful event that needs to make headlines.

Perhaps this will ease the reservations other states have about legalizing-- now that those bastard DEA fucks have had their leash tightened/twisted around their corrupt, immoral, violent, murderous, arrogant and blatantly unconstitutional,  vile necks...ahem... :blush:
sorry-- now that the Fed has been forced to recognize that it is subservient to the states.

:cheers:

Invisibleandyistic
We got them veenoms!

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Lot
Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: coAsTal]
    #112608 - 08/21/08 10:24 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well then - now I have to get myself a card and start using the shit LEGALLY! :discodance:

OfflineCaptTrip
Captain
Male User Gallery

Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: andyistic]
    #112611 - 08/21/08 10:27 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Guess I should move to California then...

--------------------

Invisibleandyistic
We got them veenoms!

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: CaptTrip]
    #112614 - 08/21/08 10:29 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yes indeed - once you obtain residency, you can no longer be arrested/prosecuted for doing weed after obtaining a valid card.

Also, I hope the dispenseries/clinics that were raided in the past can go back into operation.

InvisibleOmbient
ɥɐɹq ɹǝqos

Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: andyistic]
    #112617 - 08/21/08 10:31 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Why are most of the MMJ states in the west? :cuss:

Invisibleandyistic
We got them veenoms!

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: Ombient]
    #112620 - 08/21/08 10:32 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Farther away from Washington D.C. - where all the Feds hang out.

Offlineb0b gnarley
 User Gallery
    #112621 - 08/21/08 10:33 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

summary? no way im reading tonight didn't even read the title :drunk:

Invisibleandyistic
We got them veenoms!

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: b0b gnarley]
    #112623 - 08/21/08 10:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If you won't read that OP, then why would you bother reading the summary? :doh:

OfflineCaptTrip
Captain
Male User Gallery

#112624 - 08/21/08 10:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

andyistic said:
Yes indeed - once you obtain residency, you can no longer be arrested/prosecuted for doing weed after obtaining a valid card.

Also, I hope the dispenseries/clinics that were raided in the past can go back into operation.

I saw some of that happen watching Super High Me. It was really interesting to be doing something deemed legal by your state, but then still getting raided by the feds.

:banghead:

American tax dollars hard at work.

--------------------

Offlineb0b gnarley
 User Gallery
    #112625 - 08/21/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

cos my eyes hirt :bucktoothfattygangsta:

so feds cant fuck with card holders in cali?
does this apply to dispensaries and anyone growing also?

OfflineCaptTrip
Captain
Male User Gallery

Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: b0b gnarley]
    #112626 - 08/21/08 10:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

b0b gnarley said:
cos my eyes hirt :bucktoothfattygangsta:

so feds cant fuck with card holders in cali?
does this apply to dispensaries and anyone growing also?

I believe it will still be illegal to grow your own. I'm sure you have to get some kind of government license before you can grow.

--------------------

Invisibleandyistic
We got them veenoms!

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: CaptTrip]
    #112627 - 08/21/08 10:43 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CaptTrip said:
I believe it will still be illegal to grow your own. I'm sure you have to get some kind of government license before you can grow.

Nah, card holders can grow their own, as long as it doesn't exceed a certain number of plants.
Care providers can grow much more.

OfflineCaptTrip
Captain
Male User Gallery

#112628 - 08/21/08 10:46 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

andyistic said:
Quote:

CaptTrip said:

Nah, card holders can grow their own, as long as it doesn't exceed a certain number of plants.

Oh wow, that is awesome.

That makes me want to pack up right now and head west.

--------------------

Offlineb0b gnarley
 User Gallery
    #112629 - 08/21/08 10:46 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

andyistic said:
Quote:

CaptTrip said:

so same shit, except the feds cant fuck with us anymore

god bless americaz :yesnod:

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#112713 - 08/22/08 01:05 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Too bad living in California sucks, more homeless than you can shake a stick at, and a bunch of spoiled rich yuppie kids, and sleeze bags.

I'd rather live in my state.

The bud and hash in cali is really good on average, I just don't like the people.

OfflineCoaster
I'm Back Baby
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sativa Central Flag
Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: DungenessDank]
    #112715 - 08/22/08 01:11 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yuppies ftw :tarantino:

--------------------

InvisibleSativus
Brosef Knecht
Male User Gallery

Re: Federal Court Rules U.S. Govt May NOT Deliberately Subvert California’s Medical Marijuana Laws [Re: Coaster]
    #112717 - 08/22/08 01:12 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
yuppies ftw :tarantino:

--------------------
Bufotenin
PiHKAL|TiHKAL|PCPiHKAL
Rhodium|Wetdreams|Synthetikal
DMT Extraction Overview|Jungle Spice
I Discovered the Oakridge Strain

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom