Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJrsxt

Male
    #64176 - 06/22/08 11:09 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Alright, so I know that a male plant makes all the plants have seeds. What else do they do? My first plant is budding and looks to be a male. I'm not sure the strain of it, but it looks nice. I don't want to chop it. It also could just be some regular..It's bagseed. So are the rest, but they are all nugget strains. What should I do? Just deal with the seeds, this way I should get more pot. I'm not selling any, this is all for personal use, I don't mind picking seeds out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: Male [Re: Jrsxt]
    #64287 - 06/23/08 12:02 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

So are the rest, but they are all nugget strains.

Do you have females? Not only will they come withs eeds from the male, but also become less potent.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

OfflineJrsxt

Re: Male [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #64432 - 06/23/08 04:31 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Fuck. I guess I will have to rip the sombitch out then. I'll take some pictures today to confirm I have a male.

OfflineGanoderma
    #64438 - 06/23/08 06:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

or get seeds then you got lots of seeds for future grows that you can grow more potent without the males...???

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #64440 - 06/23/08 07:07 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jrsxt said:
Alright, so I know that a male plant makes all the plants have seeds. What else do they do? My first plant is budding and looks to be a male. I'm not sure the strain of it, but it looks nice. I don't want to chop it. It also could just be some regular..It's bagseed. So are the rest, but they are all nugget strains. What should I do? Just deal with the seeds, this way I should get more pot. I'm not selling any, this is all for personal use, I don't mind picking seeds out.

Hey man, you don't need to cut down the male if you don't want to. Like you said, you could just let it stay there and pollinate the other females, since you don't mind picking out the seeds. The weed will still be better than how it was when you bought it, I'm sure. Then, you not only have plenty of seeds to grow more plants from, but you've created a hybrid between two different genetics. You'd be able to grow out a set of seeds and find different phenotypes, basically different ways the genetics of the two plants combined to produce plants with different traits. You could find the best ones and clone them, and start doing more breeding to begin trying to make the best traits from different plants start showing up all in one plant.

Another thing you could do with the male is clone him, kill the original, and keep the clone in the vegetative state as a father, training it so that it stays small and could stay underneath some fluorescent lights so you can take clones of it to grow out and produce pollen for more breeding. Although if you really wanted to get crazy with the seeds thing, just leave that one, and take a clone, and pollinate all of those females and have a huge set of great seeds to start finding the best plants from and the same father for clones to help stabilize the strain later on. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineJrsxt

Re: Male [Re: Sirius]
    #64463 - 06/23/08 09:22 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Quote:

Jrsxt said:

Hey man, you don't need to cut down the male if you don't want to. Like you said, you could just let it stay there and pollinate the other females, since you don't mind picking out the seeds. The weed will still be better than how it was when you bought it, I'm sure. Then, you not only have plenty of seeds to grow more plants from, but you've created a hybrid between two different genetics. You'd be able to grow out a set of seeds and find different phenotypes, basically different ways the genetics of the two plants combined to produce plants with different traits. You could find the best ones and clone them, and start doing more breeding to begin trying to make the best traits from different plants start showing up all in one plant.

Another thing you could do with the male is clone him, kill the original, and keep the clone in the vegetative state as a father, training it so that it stays small and could stay underneath some fluorescent lights so you can take clones of it to grow out and produce pollen for more breeding. Although if you really wanted to get crazy with the seeds thing, just leave that one, and take a clone, and pollinate all of those females and have a huge set of great seeds to start finding the best plants from and the same father for clones to help stabilize the strain later on. :wink:

That is true. I'll leave it in there and see what I get. maybe the lemon skunk plant will cross with the purple bud i have. This one that is budding now though, may just be some reg. Will it hurt the other ones potency at all?

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

Loc: Ass Flavour Pie Factory
    #64499 - 06/23/08 11:14 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Will it hurt the other ones potency at all?

Yes, when fertilized all the plants energy goes into seed production instead of bud and trichome production.  You'll get lots of seed but less bud and of lower quality.

--------------------
Coaster Said:  "wut do u post bout flumbooyon"

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #64543 - 06/23/08 12:51 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jrsxt said:
That is true. I'll leave it in there and see what I get. maybe the lemon skunk plant will cross with the purple bud i have. This one that is budding now though, may just be some reg. Will it hurt the other ones potency at all?

If you think you'll get a good male from either the lemon skunk or the purple bud, it might be better to go with that one and get rid of the male that is developing preflowers now, if you think that the genetics from both of those strains are better. It might have came from regular bagseed, but its possible that it is great genetics and just wasn't grown/dried/cured properly, so crossing it with one of the other females may or may not hurt the potency of the seeds. If you had a separate area for keeping males, you could keep males from each, collect their pollen, and pollinate different females with different pollen, and see which ones turn out best. Finding one good male and just going with that might be easier to start out with though. Anyways, the weed with seeds might not be as potent, since it diverts energy towards seed production instead of bud production (probably still decent though, I'm sure :wink:), but the payoff from having all those seeds to start growing out to find better plants is worth it. :grin:

--------------------

OfflineJrsxt

#65875 - 06/25/08 01:33 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

How long does it take for buds to fully develop? It's been about a week or two. They are still sorta small, but there are quite a few of them. I'll post pictures soon.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #65885 - 06/25/08 01:46 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Do you mean the male preflowers? I think it might depend on the light cycle, they might not begin to flower until its on 12/12. I don't think it should take very long for them to flower, though, maybe about a week or two after the light switch?

--------------------

OfflineJrsxt

#65886 - 06/25/08 01:47 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I've already switched them. It's got preflowers and shit on it. They look pretty good. I'll take pictures soon.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #65889 - 06/25/08 01:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds sweet. Did you decide what your plan of action is?

--------------------

OfflineJrsxt

#65907 - 06/25/08 02:27 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I think i'm gonna keep the male in there. It's my first grow. Fuck it. The more bud the better, I can work on getting the best bud possible later on.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies