Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGanoderma
Inducing sex?
    #56100 - 06/11/08 10:30 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Is there any way (from seed) to make your chances of getting a male or female greater?  I am not well versed with the more advanced cultivation teks of this plant, any help would be great.  i would like to know how to ensure i have both males and females.

also as a side note, abotu how long are seeds viable for?  can they be stored succesfully for a year or 2?  cool, dry and dark.?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePhish_Dude
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Inducing sex? [Re: Ganoderma]
    #56104 - 06/11/08 10:34 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

id start by buying her a drink;)

--------------------
organic growers check out:
basic compost tea guide
organic goodies

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #56139 - 06/11/08 11:40 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ganoderma said:
Is there any way (from seed) to make your chances of getting a male or female greater?  I am not well versed with the more advanced cultivation teks of this plant, any help would be great.  i would like to know how to ensure i have both males and females.

Just keep an optimal, stress-free environment for the plants; plenty of the right kind of light, watering and nutrients when necessary, plenty of fresh air and room for roots, etc. etc. etc., and you will probably have a tendency to have a little more females than you will males. Otherwise, its just what you get really. I'm sure you'll have both males and females provided that you start enough seeds (I wouldn't start just two seeds or anything :lol:).

Quote:

also as a side note, abotu how long are seeds viable for?  can they be stored succesfully for a year or 2?  cool, dry and dark.?

Definitely, and probably years beyond that. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Inducing sex? [Re: Sirius]
    #56225 - 06/12/08 09:32 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Is there any way (from seed) to make your chances of getting a male or female greater?

This is by no means any type of scientific fact, so take what im about to say with a boulder of salt.

On another cannabis forum there is something called the "banana religion".  The theory is that, by placing a ripening banana underneath your seedling, the ethylene gases being produced by the fruit stimulate the hormones that trigger a female plant.

Other then that you can pray, do naked "please be female" dances around your grow.... :wink:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineGanoderma
Re: Inducing sex? [Re: coda]
    #56310 - 06/12/08 11:53 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

lol!!!  thanks for the tips guys/gals.

at the risk of sounding like a loon i WANT males.  at leastone....i am only getting 10 seeds and only want to risk bringing them here once.....after that i am on my own so i need to produce my own seed.

one last question.  if i dont get a male, and should i find someone who can ship a paintbrush with pollen, how long does pollen stay viable?  does it need to stay moist or can it dry?

thanks for the help folks!

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#56338 - 06/12/08 12:19 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

pollen needs to stay bone dry to remain viable

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Inducing sex? [Re: coda]
    #56378 - 06/12/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Another variation on the banana is to feminize the seeds with the ethylene. Basically, you put the seeds in a sealed, plastic bag for like fourteen days. Wrap the banana peels in tissue to absorb any moisture, and as the peels ripen, remove and replace them. Keep the bag in a warm place and air out the seeds often.

Not sure if it works, but I've seen people say it consistently works for them. :shrug: There's also a product called Sensa Soak that has it in it, and Sensa Spray, which is applied as a foliar feed to the plant, I think.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck