Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
A few questions
    #524879 - 02/08/11 06:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

1. Would a 400w HPS be too much heat for a grow tent that is 48"x48"x78"?

(No cool tube just yet, just an air cooled reflector thing. Actually, THIS light, basic setup.)

Keep in mind the ballast would not be in the tent.

2. How exactly does one stop light-leaks through a vent hole?

3. These are the fans that I would be using. How does one create a carbon scrubber for a fan like that?

4. Whats the foily slinky duct stuff called? :lol: Sorry to be such a noob.

5. Is "Polypropylene" a bad material to make a tent out of?

Thanks for all the help. Answer all or just 1, I couldn't do this without you guys :vaped:

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Edited by RasJeph (02/08/11 06:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejwes420
Support Legalization!
 User Gallery

Loc: NE Great Lake Region
Re: A few questions [Re: RasJeph]
    #525310 - 02/09/11 01:56 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

48x48x78 is a good space depending on what strain you're growing, and how it will grow(LST, SCROG, OR STRAIGHT UP)

A 400w hps is not too much as long as it is vented out of the space. A seperater between the light and the space helps a LOT. I use a 1000w hps by Hortilux with no probs using a storm window pane. Then screwed a 4" desk fan for air intake onto the hood itself with a cpu fan hooked to flexible duct pipe for exhaust. I saw your light in the link. You will need to cut into your hood to attach them. I recommend a hood that is already built for this though.

To stop light leak at the air intake on your tent, keep the intake fan on the INSIDE of the tent. Attach this to an intake that makes three 90 degree turns. There may still be some glow, but this can be eliminated by using black cloth cut into overlapping 1" strips placed at the entrance to the intake on the outside of the tent, behind a regular duct screen cover.

The fan you picked looks like shit if you use it alone. Not enough power to rid the amount of smell per cubic feet unless you have a completely sealed tent, which is most unlikely. Use the fan venting your light for intake to the carbon filter duct then your selected fan directly into the carbon filter connected by flexible duct pipe. Though a solid straight duct pipe would work a lot better here than a flexible duct pipe here, as it will push more cfm.

The stuff is just aluminum flexible duct pipe.

Carbon filters are EASY TO BUILD! You can get step by step instructions on youtube or here. Just search "how to build a carbon filter".

Polypropelyne is fine. I use the kind that's black on one side and white on the other

Happy growing!

--------------------

.........."And You Will Come to Find, that WE are ALL, ONE MIND.....
.....Capable of ALL that's IMAGINED, and ALL That's CONCIEVABLE.....

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: A few questions [Re: jwes420]
    #525672 - 02/10/11 07:37 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks a lot man!

This is the tent I plan on getting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-x48-x78-Reflective-Mylar-Hydroponics-Grow-Tent-Room-/330522127030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf4a76ab6

I've got a few months before I 100% have to get it, as I'll need to move my room to the first floor of my house in the summer. Just like to plan ahead :cool:

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #526590 - 02/12/11 02:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Looks just like the one I ordered for a (former) friend for about 100 bucks... the only thing I found wrong with buying the cheap tent is the zippers were a pretty low quality. Some of the ends weren't sown, so if you pulled it too far it would come apart... I never got the chance to help him use it, so I don't know how well it ended up wearing, but I would assume it would last for at least a couple grows...

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: A few questions [Re: Tank333]
    #527331 - 02/14/11 05:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'm extremely careful with my stuff, so I'm not so worried. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#527333 - 02/14/11 05:16 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

As am I. If I'm gonna spend a hundred bucks on something, I'm gonna make sure its taken care of. The biggest concern I would have would be the zipper-pull actually wearing out on it since its probably a pretty cheap zipper... the ends not being sewn is a 5-minute fix... lol

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#527352 - 02/14/11 06:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup: I'm semi-handy, and I have some real McGyver motherfucker friends, so I'm usually set...unless its some kind of catastrophic failure that can't be ghetto rigged back together :lol:

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#527378 - 02/14/11 08:49 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

For sure. as a handyman of most sorts, I'm constantly debating with myself whether its more efficient in the long run to simply make my own 4x4 box out of 4x4x8 sheets of plywood and 2x2's... because I know that if I made it myself, the lumber alone would cost about a bill, and by the time its done, I'd end up spending closer to $200. Add a hundred bucks for labor, and its almost easier to pay for the cheap one three times...

Invisiblejwes420
Support Legalization!
 User Gallery

Loc: NE Great Lake Region
    #527463 - 02/15/11 10:07 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hahaha For real there is always the question of goin McGuyver on the builds or just purchase one that needs to be assembled! Mcguyver always wins with me. Shit it took me almost 3 years to get all of the parts I have now. The seeds, 1000w hps light, nutes, and b/w poly sheets cost me around 700. Pilfering the rest of the materials saved my ass around 1000 bucks! But I have the materials for ANY KIND OF GROW. Soil dwc lst whatever
Patience totally paid off for me, and the parts I've purchased have already been recooped in grow.

Fukk. I loved high school man! All I would do is build bongs etc out of ANYTHING! That was the fukkin life!

--------------------

.........."And You Will Come to Find, that WE are ALL, ONE MIND.....
.....Capable of ALL that's IMAGINED, and ALL That's CONCIEVABLE.....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag