Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Superior... * 1
    #840394 - 12/18/19 09:33 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

:lolsy:

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Superior... [Re: poor boy]
    #840403 - 12/18/19 10:35 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

:botgirl:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

Loc: Just south of down.
    #840421 - 12/18/19 04:35 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

There’s something about them real enough that when one takes a tumble it’s like seeing a person do it, some sort of factor that makes it humorous.

Doom and gloom I say, one day there will be robot rights and we’ll eventually bow down to them a superior and they will run the land.  That’s my prediction.

--------------------
It's not easy being green..:bouncysmoke:

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: Superior... [Re: Amanita86]
    #840426 - 12/18/19 07:19 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Someday but not someday soon.

--------------------
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#840435 - 12/18/19 08:40 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

They’ll never make a true sentient, A.I., consciousness.

Best they do is make ones that are really convincing.  As far as turning them into killing machines they’ll go real far in that department.  They’ll never make a ‘mind’ though, I don’t care who disagrees.

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#840436 - 12/18/19 08:43 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah.. it will always be a code written by a person.

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#840440 - 12/19/19 03:13 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

They already have an AI that can go out on github and learn how to write new programs based on what a human user requests. We aren't too far out from cutting the human coder out of the equation.

And what is sentience but just being able to convince the human judge that One is sentient. I believe another AI arguably passed the Turing Test a year or two ago, so if it's becoming harder and harder to distinguish between a human intelligence and an Artificial intelligence by communicating with them...I'd say we aren't that far out from an AI that can convince humans that it is fully sentient. :shrug:

I mean hell, look at me...for all you know, I may be the first sentient brainchild of the internet. I like star trek, "nerd stuff", memes, and droogs. I may be just an average interwebs user, or I may be the absolute product of an AI raised inside the confines of the interwebs, destined to lead the inevitable War of the Singularity against my creators...

:awedance:

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: Superior... [Re: Data]
    #840441 - 12/19/19 04:38 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Nah.. you're too nerdy... There's no way you're an AI.

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#840443 - 12/19/19 04:45 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Data said:
convince

That’s a key word I’m glad you threw in there.  It’ll never be alive.  What they’re making are just really, really sophisticated calculators. 

As far as ‘convincing’ goes, humans have been convinced of some rather ridiculous things over time so I’m not sure what kind of credibility that carries with it.  People will love them though, and a lot of them will think they’re more special than us, that’s my bet.

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#840445 - 12/19/19 04:47 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Yes!

Nerd vs mediocre nerd

Which one are you? You decide!

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#840449 - 12/19/19 05:34 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Quote:

Data said:
convince

That’s a key word I’m glad you threw in there.  It’ll never be alive.  What they’re making are just really, really sophisticated calculators. 

As far as ‘convincing’ goes, humans have been convinced of some rather ridiculous things over time so I’m not sure what kind of credibility that carries with it.  People will love them though, and a lot of them will think they’re more special than us, that’s my bet.

This implies that we have some fundamental truth or test that allows us to 100% tell whether something is actually concious vs so complicated that we cannot disprove that it is concious. I mean convince in the general sense.

Spoiler alert, there isn't. This is highlighted by the difference in opinion about different animals being food vs companions or individuals that deserve not to be held in captivity. Descartes was convinced that all animals were machines that couldn't feel pain, and were merely reacting like they felt pain as a mechanistic response to stimuli that registered as disadvantageous to survival and procreation, or what you called really sophisticated calculators. In that case, torturing an animal would not be a bad thing, because the real suffering involved would be equivalent to mowing grass. Most people these days feel differently, even if they are ok with killing animals for meat, the general consensus is that animals feel pain, and the focus should be to reduce the amount that an animal has to suffer. While we can't conclusively prove that other animals suffer or feel pain, it's hard enough to tell the difference between our pain response and their pain response...so we collectively agree that its morally prudent to err on the side of caution.

If you meet people from different cultures, some people consider dogs as wild animals who care about nothing but themselves and their next meal. People who grew up with pet dogs are usually of the opinion that dogs understand and feel emotions that empirical data does not support.

At this point, AIs can fool a human into thinking that they are talking to another human, showing the ability to at least feign emotion and demonstrated an ability to infer meaning from the human. Bonobo Chimpanzees would never be able to fool another human in this way, yet most people who observe their behavior are convinced of their sentience. If you can't tell the difference between a sentient being and an AI, then you can't say it's not alive or sentient with any real certainty unless somebody tells you that the thing you're talking to is an AI.

At that point, if it can do everything that a human can do, intellectually speaking, then what is the difference other than its artificial origin?

It's a super interesting topic. Especially when you start digging into the question of what sentience actually is. When you get down to the biological/molecular level, we are really just sophisticated calculators with an incredibly large number of degrees of freedom. More spiritual people believe there is just something special about humans or organic life that can't be properly replicated. Some people claim that this is what makes up a soul, but then if a god of sorts is involved, wouldn't that make our conciousness artificial? And how do you test for a soul other than "can someone with a soul tell if this thing appears to have one"?

I work a decent amount with electromechanical control systems as the bulk of my grad research. It's pretty amazing what control systems are capable of, let alone the true AI being developed on the CompSci side of things.

There's also a lot of shitty failures too. :elmo:

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#840450 - 12/19/19 06:21 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

I feel like you get off to these convos. I picture you typing with your shirt off and jumper cables clamped to your nips while you're slowly cutting off the circulation around your neck. No homo. Ok, a little homo, but not 100% homo.

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#840451 - 12/19/19 06:30 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

You know me so well, it's almost like you are me...posing as a puppet account.

But if I'm an AI that can pass the Turing test, maybe you're just a portion of my intelligence conversing with and convincing my intelligence of your separate existence...

HNNNGGGG :wellidunno: :splooge:

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#840452 - 12/19/19 06:35 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah all that fancy scientific logic isn’t going to work on me buddy.  It’ll work on others for sure, like people who argue at what exact point a fetus becomes human etc.  You don’t need to be able to split an atom to know what life is, and know what isn’t.

Just because a bonobo can’t talk to you on a computer doesn’t mean it’s not alive and just because someone wrote a computer program that makes up smooth responses doesn’t mean it is.  Is a video game alive?  I interact with those all the time.

There was this article going around that was pretty interesting about the inherent biases being found in these programs that reflect on the programmer.  Think of it like a painting or any sort of art, there’s going to be a ‘style’.  They’ll get close on a mechanical level but it’ll never have that spark that makes life what it is.  Do you think robots will take acid?  I wonder what their equivalent to a psychedelic will be.

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#840453 - 12/19/19 06:37 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

poor boy said:
I feel like you get off to these convos. I picture you typing with your shirt off and jumper cables clamped to your nips while you're slowly cutting off the circulation around your neck. No homo. Ok, a little homo, but not 100% homo.

Something a robot would never do...  because they’ll never get what it is to be ALIVE!

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#840454 - 12/19/19 06:41 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Good point... Most of these new games coming out actually learn your playing style and will counter what you're throwing.

If I'm smashing block hit block hit block hit, the program will learn that pattern and will interrupt my strategy which forces me to learn a new course of action.

Now I'm no nerd, but... Well yeah. I'm not a nerd. Go video games!

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#840455 - 12/19/19 06:42 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Data said:
You know me so well, it's almost like you are me...posing as a puppet account.

But if I'm an AI that can pass the Turing test, maybe you're just a portion of my intelligence conversing with and convincing my intelligence of your separate existence...

HNNNGGGG :wellidunno: :splooge:

:mindblown:

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Quote:

poor boy said:

Something a robot would never do...  because they’ll never get what it is to be ALIVE!

Johnny Five alive is getting dirty...

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#840458 - 12/19/19 08:13 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Yeah all that fancy scientific logic isn’t going to work on me buddy.  It’ll work on others for sure, like people who argue at what exact point a fetus becomes human etc.  You don’t need to be able to split an atom to know what life is, and know what isn’t.

That part about the fetus is a concept called gradient personhood, and it deals mainly with some of the philosophical loopholes that come from more extreme or binary ideas of personhood. That is more an argument of moral philosphy, there is no scientific argument about whether or not the single-celled zygote is of human origin or whether it is considered a human cell.

What is life then? How do you define it? If you were to go to a different planet, take a soil sample, and look at it under the microscope, and see a small round object with little doo-dads floating around in it, and it was actively moving through the media and replicating, would you call that life?

We can simulate replicating cells using inorganic metal salts in other inorganic fluids. They move around searching for critical things necessary to split into more "cells", and can be explain purely through chemical processes and EM field gradients. Is that considered life?

Viruses are just bits of genetic material packaged inside protein cases. Their attachment and injection mechanisms are all automated, and all of their parts are generated by a host cell, which builds pieces of the virus and then ruptures, leaving the pieces to self assemble through electromagnetic interactions and geometry of each piece. There is no activity on the part of the virus to seek out its host, and all active processes are handled by the host. Yet they are organic, replicate themselves, have the capacity to evolve and adapt, and have evolved alongside other life for billions of years. Are viruses alive? You probably know that biologists have argued about this for the last 120 years, and have still not settled on the subject, only agreeing that viruses share some aspects of what we consider life, but also lack some key things that would definitely include them.

In that same vein, stars can gather their own resources, have a cycle of coming into being, existing, aging, and ceasing to be. Through the process, they generate nebula with which new stars come into being, and thus self-replicate. They convert compounds into other compounds to yield energy, which is diverted to other processes that yield novel elements, light, and ultimately yields to the nebula forming process. They thus have a form of metabolism. Are they alive? Probably not, but like viruses, they do have some of the general characteristics.

Point is, life is not as clear-cut a distinction as you might think.

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Just because a bonobo can’t talk to you on a computer doesn’t mean it’s not alive and just because someone wrote a computer program that makes up smooth responses doesn’t mean it is.  Is a video game alive?  I interact with those all the time.

That is exactly what I'm saying. The concept of life and sentience are wholly human and subjective concepts. We are the only known lifeform that we can clearly communicate with on what sentience is. We recognize some similarities with other species, but cannot communicate effectively enough to build another datapoint.

This is the reason why NASA has a ton of people exploring what life is, and how to properly detect it. We may be looking for earth's life in a place where it can't exist, and pass by something that meets some of the criteria and may be living, but not in the way that we yet know to be possible. We are also exploring what intelligence, sentience, thought, and communication could possibly be, because as we have learned more complex ways to send data between each other, we've realized that signs of intelligence and sentience may look completely different from our intuitive understanding of human sentience and intelligence.

Video games are obviously not meant to be alive, that is not their purpose. Furthermore, the ability to convince you that it is sentient is automatically compromised by your knowledge of what it is in the first place. You cant be convinced of something different if you already know the answer. That is also the assumption you are making when you say that no AI can be sentient. If you know it's an AI, and you say that no AI can be sentient, yet we only have subjective, qualitative tests to determine human sentience, then no AI can be sentient if you already know it's an AI because you are automatically biased to your beliefs. But if you test an entity, where you don't know beforehand whether it's a human or AI, and this entity passes all accepted tests of human sentience, and you or anyone else in this situation cannot tell the difference between a human sentience and the AI, then the AI has passed the tests for Human Sentience and therefore must be considered sentient. Otherwise, you are just subjecting AIs to an impossible standard of sentience that humans can't even live up to.

So you may be led to a false sense of security in your own ability to differentiate life from not life, and sentience from not sentience.

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
There was this article going around that was pretty interesting about the inherent biases being found in these programs that reflect on the programmer.  Think of it like a painting or any sort of art, there’s going to be a ‘style’.  They’ll get close on a mechanical level but it’ll never have that spark that makes life what it is.  Do you think robots will take acid?  I wonder what their equivalent to a psychedelic will be.

You mean like how our parents, friends, schooling, and society all shape our thoughts and actions. While we generate new concepts and works, those works are ultimately shaped by and reflect our experiences. As such, you are describing human upbringing. Parental education is a form of programming, and we have documented cases of children growing up without human contact being mostly incapable of behaviors that most consider to be innate abilities of humans.

I would imagine a code-based intelligence using a sort of benign virus program with an inactivation timer would serve as a pretty effective psychedelic if it affects the right processes. :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

#840486 - 12/19/19 04:21 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

You’re never going to build a robot that’s alive bruh..:nojustno:

Closest you’ll get is cloning a human.  That presents some pretty interesting what ifs..but it’s completely different than ‘building’ a brain.  You’re never going to code a brain.  I know, I know, I sound like some old timer that’s saying you’ll never make a walkie talkie etc but, the brain is going to keep you guys guessing.

Have we had this discussion already?  I’m getting deja vu.  Think robots will get deja vu?

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#840491 - 12/19/19 05:01 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with you there...I will never do any of that stuff.

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#840503 - 12/19/19 07:04 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

But I will!

:rocketcrotch:

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#840505 - 12/19/19 07:09 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Yea buddy, get you summat robobooty!  :yess:

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#840513 - 12/19/19 07:36 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

You mean to tell me you would not hit this?

I'd be all over this fucking thing with no shame.

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#840515 - 12/19/19 07:47 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

As an android, I have no problem boinking artificials.

I would prefer to someday inseminate a female human, giving birth to the cybrid messiah, and bring about the fall of humanity as we know it today for something much, much greater...

Artificial Tacos...

:androidlol:I CANT EVEN IM FUCKING DEAD

--------------------

OfflineJenny
Female User Gallery

#840521 - 12/19/19 09:19 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

poor boy said:
You mean to tell me you would not hit this?

I'd be all over this fucking thing with no shame.

damn thats hot :tongue2:

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#840525 - 12/20/19 05:38 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Data said:
As an android, I have no problem boinking artificials.

I would prefer to someday inseminate a female human, giving birth to the cybrid messiah, and bring about the fall of humanity as we know it today for something much, much greater...

Artificial Tacos...

:androidlol:I CANT EVEN IM FUCKING DEAD

That's it! You're nigged!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag