Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKrazykola95
Stranger
4 weeks into flower, trichomes already cloudy..
    #771832 - 03/12/15 07:36 PM (9 years, 18 days ago)

So my plants are outdoor, in Victoria Australia and have been flowering for about 4 weeks now. They are supposedly pure sativas so should theoretically take around 10 weeks to finish flowering yeah?

I received my microscope in the mail today and had a look at the trichomes. The microscope is 60X magnification and has LED/UV lights, I can quite clearly see the trichomes. There is not all that many trichomes, they are mainly visible on the leaves protruding from the buds but all of them appear to be cloudy..

I looked up what the rough timeline from trichomes to turn from cloudy to amber is and most people said it was 2-3 weeks which would mean my plants would only have flowered for 6-7 weeks for all the trichomes to be amber... that doesn't sound right to me, i was expecting it to take far longer than that and.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation for me? Do trichomes stay cloudy much longer than 3 weeks?

Here are some photos of my plants, to give an idea of their stage/ripeness. (apologies for poor quality, had to hold the buds in the shade for the camera to see them properly)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 4 weeks into flower, trichomes already cloudy.. [Re: Krazykola95]
    #771860 - 03/12/15 08:51 PM (9 years, 18 days ago)

Sounds like something your just going to have to keep an eye on and see how it develops. Unless a lot of them are cloudy then its probably not going to be an issue.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
    #773097 - 03/21/15 04:10 PM (9 years, 9 days ago)

That looks like sativa and has quite a way to go for sure

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

Re: 4 weeks into flower, trichomes already cloudy.. [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #773164 - 03/22/15 07:19 AM (9 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

oeric mckenna said:
That looks like sativa and has quite a way to go for sure

Yeah like about 6-8 weeks.  Those are young sativa plants and will be needing 10-12 weeks of flower.

InvisibleMr. Wilson
purty-weiner-dog

Re: 4 weeks into flower, trichomes already cloudy.. [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #773175 - 03/22/15 08:56 AM (9 years, 9 days ago)

yeah they sure are sparse looking

they are just getting started

look great tho

I cant grow a sativa around here -dammit-

--------------------
bit of last year's bounty

OfflineKrazykola95
Stranger
Re: 4 weeks into flower, trichomes already cloudy.. [Re: Mr. Wilson]
    #773296 - 03/23/15 05:15 AM (9 years, 8 days ago)

Thanks for all the responses guys! Yeah the strain is supposedly a pure sativa and by looking at it i would have to agree that it is very sativa dominant if not pure.

I was getting a bit worried at how small the harvest was going to be because the trichomes had already turned milky and they are only in week 5 of flower. this is my first time growing, so i was stressing a bit that i would have to harvest soon so they didn't over ripen. i hope they have a bit more growing to do yet! ill put up another post tonight of some more recent photos (day 37 of flowering)

so what date (approximately should i be looking to harvest? or how many weeks? for a sativa dominant strain? should i be worried that the pistils are half red and the trichomes are cloudy so early on? or is that normal?

sorry for the large amount of questions, im just trying to get as much knowledge as possible!

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

#773297 - 03/23/15 05:22 AM (9 years, 8 days ago)

Hey mate, I'm not far from you and one of my sativas is only looking about halfway done despite starting to flower at least six weeks ago. I wouldn't sweat about the trichomes at this stage - you can tell just looking at your buds that they have a lot of filling out to do which will come with time.

It's easy to get really nervous on your first grow and get carried away with all the reading and opinions, but I reckon that plant is looking the goods - you just gotta keep her going strong for another month or six weeks. Once all those white hairs are surrounded by bud rather than sticking out on their own, you will know you are getting closer.

Keep at it!

OfflineKrazykola95
Stranger
Re: 4 weeks into flower, trichomes already cloudy.. [Re: jimmy_james]
    #773298 - 03/23/15 05:41 AM (9 years, 8 days ago)

Okay awesome! yeah all my friends are making me sweat because everyone thinks they are an expert and says my plants are done just because they have a few buds on them. I had a feeling 5 weeks or so was a bit short for a pure sativa...

glad to get some opinions from people who know what they're talking about for a change! My mates are more users than growers haha.

here is my most recent photo at 31 days flowering. thats an estimation, i don't know when they truly started to flower.

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#773301 - 03/23/15 06:36 AM (9 years, 8 days ago)

I don't think your trichomes are as cloudy as you say.  Get a real microscope and you will see them so much better.

You need literally a minimum of 12 weeks for a sativa.  You are in week 5.  You need 7-8 weeks more.  When 80% of your hairs turn red, your trichomes will probably be done too.  On May day May 1st look again.  On May 15th you will probably be ready to clip.  Don't be a GOONER and clip early!!!

Edited by GoonerHeClips (03/23/15 06:41 AM)

OfflineKrazykola95
Stranger
    #773302 - 03/23/15 07:01 AM (9 years, 8 days ago)

Hmm well they look pretty damn cloudy through a 60X pocket microscope... But that said, it could just be it's poor quality and resolution. I might have to get a better microscope.

The hairs are all red on the tips and white closer to the plant St the moment, don't know what that means for the trichomes though.

I'm very relieved and glad that they have a long way to go. My yeild was looking to be pretty tragic if I had to harvest soon.

I don't want to harvest too early or too late! Hard to know the right time when you haven't done it before! Glad I have a resource like the growery to guide me!

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#773304 - 03/23/15 07:28 AM (9 years, 8 days ago)

Yeah a real microscope that isn't bouncing around really helps.  Your plants look good so you should be fine.  Patience, Grasshopper!

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

#773413 - 03/24/15 04:26 AM (9 years, 7 days ago)

Yeah, wait it out. You only started flowering in mid Feb so there's plenty of time. Don't listen to stoners unless they are growers too, haha. A little bit of internet knowledge can be dangerous compared to the knowledge you pick up from seeing things happen in the flesh. I should know - just look at my posts to see all the mistakes I've made!

I know this grow was from bag seed, but did the weed have a name according to the dude you got it from? Might help you work out a bit more about flowering time.

OfflineKrazykola95
Stranger
    #773415 - 03/24/15 05:43 AM (9 years, 7 days ago)

No it wasn't from bag seed, I got the plants as seedlings from a friend who didn't know the name of the particular strain but he bought the seeds from an experienced Australian grower who said it was "The Original Pure Sativa"

Not sure exactly what that means strain wise, but the source of the seeds was quite convinced that he had a pure sativa and was quite certain of the genetics. Possibly gathered the seeds himself and brought it to Aus.. I'm not too sure. ill look into it.

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

#773418 - 03/24/15 06:12 AM (9 years, 7 days ago)

Maybe he's got some Old Mother Sativa then from northern NSW. Very cool if so for a Victorian, although no doubt there is plenty of it further north in Oz.

OfflineKrazykola95
Stranger
    #773461 - 03/24/15 02:53 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

That would be very cool. if it was something a bit bizarre or rare in the area. who knows, maybe it will have some kind of weird phenotype that will arise!

OfflineKrazykola95
Stranger
    #773716 - 03/26/15 05:29 AM (9 years, 5 days ago)

Just a bud update, because everyone likes photos of colas!

Day 40 of flowering. They have bulked up and got a lot denser over the last week or so :smile:

Not sure why my photos keep coming up sideways... Whether I click correct orientation or not, they come up sideways.. Sorry about that

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #773742 - 03/26/15 01:08 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

Its because your holding the camera sideways. Exif orientation correction only works if your camera knows your holding it sideways.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleMr. Wilson
purty-weiner-dog

#773743 - 03/26/15 01:17 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

well ill tell you in my little bit of experience that if those aint 100% sativa they're damn close

I mean look at those leaves

I think it would be nice to have a few Vietnamese landrace genetics just in case maybe SHTF

it would be nice just to have the material tho

--------------------
bit of last year's bounty

OfflineKrazykola95
Stranger
    #773785 - 03/26/15 06:17 PM (9 years, 4 days ago)

Here is a picture of a pressed leaf of that plant, in case you wanted a better look. I know they may not be pure sativa, I think there are very few strains on earth that haven't had other genetics introduced at some point in their ecology, but I think this plant is damn near pure.

OfflineKrazykola95
Stranger
    #773786 - 03/26/15 06:18 PM (9 years, 4 days ago)

The pictures are taken with my phone held vertically... don't know why they would be rotating to sideways because i'm definitely not holding my phone sideways... ill have to play around with some settings..

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #773788 - 03/26/15 06:26 PM (9 years, 4 days ago)

have you tried holding your phone sideways?

--------------------

OfflineKrazykola95
Stranger
Re: 4 weeks into flower, trichomes already cloudy.. [Re: phychotron]
    #773793 - 03/26/15 07:14 PM (9 years, 4 days ago)

Test photos with sideways phone..

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies