Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleFox
healer
Male

Loc: traveling
Re: Recent Cannabis related news... [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk] * 1
    #309245 - 11/03/09 05:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Rockies Ski Town To Vote Tuesday on Legalizing Pot

Posted by CN Staff on November 02, 2009 at 04:08:06 PT
By Kristen Wyatt, The Associated Press
Source: Associated Press

cannabis Breckenridge, Colo. -- Voters in this Rocky Mountain resort town will decide Tuesday whether to legalize pot for all adults at a time when the movement to allow medical marijuana is gaining steam around the country.

A measure before Breckenridge voters in a municipal election would legalize possession of up to 1 ounce of marijuana along with bongs, pipes and other pot paraphernalia. Supporters of the measure say it would inch the whole state closer to full legalization.

Other cities around the country have taken similar action in recent years, including a measure in Denver that decriminalized possession.

Local ordinances to allow some recreational marijuana use have passed in Seattle, San Francisco and other cities, though in all those places the law is considered symbolic because it conflicts with state and federal laws. Alaska allows possession of up to 4 ounces of marijuana in one's home, and advocates in California want to ask voters in next year's election to legalize pot.

Advocates say the Breckenridge proposal goes further than others because it allows paraphernalia as well.

"I don't think there's anywhere else in the country that has legalized paraphernalia," said Bruce Mirken, a spokesman for the Washington-based Marijuana Policy Project.

As in most states, drug-paraphernalia possession in Colorado is considered a petty offense. Though "head shops" selling bongs and pipes are common in Colorado, the wares are ostensibly for smoking tobacco. Paraphernalia charges are usually only filed along with possession charges. Both are misdemeanors punishable by a $100 fine and court fees.

The penalties aren't serious, but about 100 people a year in Breckenridge are cited for possession of either marijuana or paraphernalia, often both. Supporters of the effort say it's not right to leave small-time pot smokers with a criminal record.

"We don't want to spend our tax dollars prosecuting this, so we're saying, let's just stop it," said Sean McAllister, a Breckenridge attorney who proposed the ordinance.

Supporters include a member of the town council and the Summit Daily News, which printed an editorial backing the idea.

Its prospects are strong. In 2006, a statewide ballot measure to make marijuana possession legal failed 59 percent to 41 percent. But among Breckenridge voters it won almost 3-to-1.

McAllister's attempt to put the legalization measure on ballots needed 495 signatures. He collected more than 1,500.

Breckenridge Police Chief Rick Holman has opposed the idea, saying the measure just sets up a conflict between town and state law.

Pot possession would still be a state crime, but Breckenridge police officers would have to take users to the Summit County Sheriff's Department to be cited if the measure passes.

Critics also point out that Colorado already allows marijuana for medicinal use — though debate rages because pot shops aren't regulated by the state and are proliferating.

This week, Summit County imposed a 120-day moratorium on new medical-marijuana dispensaries in unincorporated areas so it can figure out how to regulate them.

The debate is playing out around the country as states struggle to figure out how to regulate and enforce medical-marijuana laws.

The federal government complicated matters earlier this month when the Justice Department told federal prosecutors that targeting medical-marijuana users who comply with state laws was not a good use of their time.

Nancy Skaj, a clerk at a Breckenridge grocery, said the measure could be a boon for ski tourists who don't have clearance for medical marijuana.

"With all the injuries people get skiing up here, instead of popping pills, they should just be doing this. It's a lot more natural," she said.

Backers have one main worry — the measure's timing.

Turnout for off-year municipal elections is often extremely light among Breckenridge's 3,300 or so voters. Election Day falls during the quiet weeks before the ski business picks up.

Source: Associated Press (Wire)
Author: Kristen Wyatt, The Associated Press
Published: November 2, 2009
Copyright: 2009 The Associated Press

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinettotheh
european son
Male

Loc: new york state Flag
Re: Recent Cannabis related news... [Re: Fox] * 1
    #309288 - 11/03/09 06:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

so did the vote pass?

--------------------
I live with thirteen dead cats ,
a purple dog that wears spats,
they all live out in the hall,
and i cant stand it anymore

anything i say on this website is 100 % false

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Recent Cannabis related news... [Re: ttotheh] * 1
    #309309 - 11/03/09 06:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

There's a medical cannabis vote for Maine today.  Haven't heard the results yet.  God i hope it passes.  We need to get closer to 26 states.  My thoughts are that if we get 26 states passed with medical cannabis laws it will really weaken the federal case to keep it on schedule 1 and that's what this is all about, imo.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinettotheh
european son
Male

Re: Recent Cannabis related news... [Re: FurrowedBrow] * 1
    #309312 - 11/03/09 06:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

here in ny we were close but some1 shot it down forgot wut exactly happened

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#309314 - 11/03/09 06:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

didn't the Governor get involved with that?  I thought i read that the governor was adamantly opposed to it.  so i thought it went through the legislature and he vetoed it.  I could be completely wrong.  It's hard to keep everything straight with all the efforts around the country.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinettotheh
european son
Male

#309319 - 11/03/09 06:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

you might be right once i heard it got shot down i just said fuck and didnt look into it

--------------------

InvisibleFox
healer
Male

#309322 - 11/03/09 07:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It's probably too early to tell.  The voting occurred today so I'll keep searching around to find the results.

--------------------

Offlinettotheh
european son
Male

#309324 - 11/03/09 07:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

thanks your making it easy for me to be lazy:vaped:

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #309349 - 11/03/09 07:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
There's a medical cannabis vote for Maine today.  Haven't heard the results yet.  God i hope it passes.  We will be that much closer to 26 states.  My thoughts are that if we get 26 states passed with medical cannabis laws it will really weaken the federal case to keep it on schedule 1 and that's what this is all about, imo.

I was among the 65 % of Mainers who voted yes on question 5 on their ballots today.

Maine will now allow non-profit dispensaries, and will also be expanding on the ways a patient may become eligible for medicinal marijuana.        :whoo::whoo:

I will keep all informed.

:peace:    FaRmEr JoE

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Recent Cannabis related news... [Re: Farmer Joe] * 1
    #309355 - 11/03/09 07:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
    #309514 - 11/03/09 10:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Breckinridge passed the decriminalization measure with a vote of 75%!!!

Also in CO today, language was removed from the MMJ laws that stated caregivers must do more than just supply marijuana.
The law said that as a caregiver you also had to prepare meals, run errands, and otherwise take care of your patients.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Recent Cannabis related news... [Re: 81renaissance] * 1
    #309535 - 11/03/09 10:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i wonder when/if their going to act on the descision of the results anytime soon.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
    #309548 - 11/03/09 11:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm afraid that for now its just a political statement.
State and Federal laws still prohibit recreational use, so its very limiting in its scope.
My hope is that Breckinridge sets a precedent for the rest of Colorado, and that we'll see a state law in the near future.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #309844 - 11/04/09 04:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

http://rawstory.com/2009/11/breckenridge-colorado-voters-legalize-marijuana-paraphernalia/

Breckenridge Colorado Voters Legalize Marijuana and Paraphernalia

Voters in the ski resort town of Breckenridge, Colorado legalized marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia by a nearly three-to-one margin on Tuesday.

It is the first municipality in the United States to allow paraphernalia, such as pipes, bongs and bubblers.

"[The measure] passed 73 percent to 27 percent," ABC 7 News in Denver reported.

"'This votes demonstrates that Breckenridge citizens overwhelmingly believe that adults should not be punished for making the safer choice to use marijuana instead of alcohol,' said Sean McAllister, a Breckenridge attorney who proposed the ordinance," ABC continued.

"Possession remains illegal under state law, but Breckenridge Police Chief Rick Holman said his department will 'still have the ability to exercise discretion,'" Colorado's Summit Daily News added.
Story continues below...

?It's never been something that we've spent a lot of time on, so I don't expect this to be a big change in how we really do business,? he said, according to the Daily News.

"It will not make it more available to minors, won't make it legal to smoke it on the street, won't get you out of trouble if you're stoned behind the wheel," the Daily News opined in an editorial supporting the measure. "What it says is that if you, as an adult, choose to possess small amounts of marijuana for personal use, you won't be busted for it. It's still a much more stringent law than those that apply to alcohol ? a substance you can own as much as you want of and consume in public."

? ????????????? ?Add Signature? ?? ?Preview Reply? ?????? ?? ????????????????D4D0C8???????????????????The paper added: "Eventually, it seems these small possession busts will be a thing of the past state-wide, which makes us conclude some kind of 'nuisance pot smoke' ordinance needs to take their place ? roughly analogous to public intoxication statutes."

In Breckenridge, which has about 3,300 registered voters, passage of the measure is not a surprise. While an effort to legalize marijuana state-wide failed during the 2006 elections, Breckenridge voters supported it by a margin of nearly 3-to-1. Additionally, the petition to levy a ballot measure that would legalize marijuana needed just under 500 signatures, but organizers collected over 1,400.

:banana:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #309849 - 11/04/09 04:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Dispensaries are officially legal in the state of Maine.

Now the department of health and human services (dhhs) is going to come up with rules and regulations for dispensaries to follow. I am not sure if dhhs is also deciding on the new types of Non-terminal illnesses that will allow someone to become a patient.

Dhhs will be having hearings to deliberate on these new rules and regs.  These hearings will be open to the public and people will be able to voice their opinions.

I'm gonna try my best to make it to every one of these hearings. I will post more when get more info.

:peace:

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Recent Cannabis related news... [Re: Farmer Joe] * 1
    #309851 - 11/04/09 04:43 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

thats great!

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Offlinettotheh
european son
Male

#309933 - 11/04/09 07:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

looks like were making progress fucking finaly :whoo:

--------------------

InvisibleFox
healer
Male

#312091 - 11/07/09 10:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

More Ski Towns May Vote To Change Pot Laws
Posted by CN Staff on November 05, 2009 at 06:08:13 PT
By Brent Gardner-Smith, ADN Staff Writer
Source: Aspen Daily News

cannabis Colorado -- While Pitkin County and Aspen have long had a reputation for a casual approach to drug enforcement, it may be Durango that is the next Colorado ski town to legalize adult possession of up to an ounce of pot and the paraphernalia used to smoke it.

A group called Sensible Durango is preparing to put a ballot question in front of Durango voters in November 2010. “We’re pretty confident it will pass like it did in Breckenridge,” said Corey Chavez of Sensible Durango.

On Tuesday, 71 percent of voters in Breckenridge approved changing the town’s municipal code to remove penalties on Jan. 1 against holding small amounts of pot and paraphernalia.

Brian Vincente of the statewide marijuana legal reform group Sensible Colorado said Aspen is not a likely candidate for a campaign to change its laws as the city’s municipal code is silent on marijuana possession.

Instead, the Aspen Police Department and the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office rely on Colorado state laws regarding pot possession. It is a petty offense, and a $100 fine, under state law to possess less than an ounce of pot and another petty offense and a $100 fine for possessing paraphernalia.

Vincente said Aspen citizens could perhaps pass a measure to mandate that the local police department place a low priority on enforcing state marijuana laws, as Denver voters did in 2007, but Aspen Police Chief Richard Pryor said it is already a low priority in his department to write tickets for minor pot possession.

“There are enough other issues to deal with,” Pryor said. “If we observe it, we will contact. And we’ll often confiscate marijuana and often lecture and release the person.”

He said, however, that being caught driving under the influence is a more serious matter.

Pryor also said most citations for pot possession in Aspen are related to another infraction, such as fighting in a bar or some other alcohol-fueled transgression.

So far this year in Aspen, there have been eight arrests for marijuana, including six for possession, one for paraphernalia and one for both pot and paraphernalia. There were 24 arrests in 2008 for pot and paraphernalia possession in Aspen, 18 in 2007 and 28 arrests in 2006. Total arrests between 2006 and 2008 ranged from 372 to 474 a year.

Chavez of Sensible Durango plans to begin gathering up to 5,000 signatures in June to ensure his group has the required 1,200 citizen signatures to put the measure on the Durango ballot. Getting caught today with pot in Durango can include up to a $1,000 fee and 90 days in jail.

“What’s cool about all these ski towns, because of our population size, is that it is easier to pass these kinds of things and get media attention,” said Chavez. “It motivates people and inspires them to work to change these laws.”

Chavez said Sensible Durango is modeling its approach on the one taken this fall by Sensible Breckenridge, which in turn worked closely with Sensible Colorado.

“Breckenridge now has the best marijuana law of any city in the lower 48,” said Vincente of Sensible Colorado, whose ultimate aim is to see marijuana regulated in the state in the same manner as alcohol. He said that changing municipal laws will make it easier to convince state legislators to ultimately change state laws to that effect.

One of the differences between Breckenridge’s new law and laws in other towns is that it makes it legal, at least under city code, to possess both pot and the tools to smoke it.

Vincente said he is also talking actively with a group of people in Leadville who want to change that city’s laws about pot and paraphernalia possession. And he is willing to help other budding activists.

“They can definitely get in touch with Sensible Colorado,” he said.

Other ski towns with municipal pot laws on their books include Crested Butte, Dillon, Winter Park. Like Aspen, Snowmass Village, Vail and Boulder do not have municipal pot laws.

The results of the pro-pot Breckenridge vote generated a lot of post-election media coverage and references to a “Rocky Mountain high.” But the Breckenridge ski resort had a no-nonsense response to the election results.

“In spite of the outcome of this vote, the possession and use of marijuana other than for medical use remains illegal under Colorado state law and using any ski lift or ski slope or trail while under the influence is prohibited under the Colorado Ski Safety Act,” said Pat Campbell, chief operating officer and senior vice president of Breckenridge Ski Resort in a prepared statement.

Melanie Mills, the CEO of Colorado Ski Country USA, said it was too soon to know if Breckenridge’s new law might scare off families from taking a vacation there.

She also said her organization was closely watching the spread of medical marijuana dispensaries to see if there were any impacts on ski town tourism.

“We agreed to watch and understand what the implications are, but not to overreact,” Mills said.

When asked if he thought families might be put off from booking a vacation to Breckenridge, Aspen Skiing Co. spokesman Jeff Hanle said he doubted it.

“I would question how many of those skiing families are really going to be aware of it,” Hanle said about the change to the Breckenridge municipal code. “But I think the snack business there will go through the roof.”

Source: Aspen Daily News (CO)
Author: Brent Gardner-Smith, Aspen Daily News Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, November 5, 2009
Copyright: 2009 Aspen Daily News
URL: http://drugsense.org/url/2EsrpE8y

--------------------

InvisibleFox
healer
Male

#312094 - 11/07/09 10:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think Colorado is leading the way into banishing prohibition for adults.

They seem to be keeping a very close eye on what's going down in Cali and learning from the mistakes they make.

Colorado here I come!

--------------------

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #312100 - 11/07/09 10:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I think Colorado is leading the way into banishing prohibition for adults.

yeah it seems that way.......
finally.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale