Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoxalic32
Male
Out door newb questions
    #228019 - 05/19/09 01:11 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Hey i read up quite a bit but a few things are unclear. If you can help me out i'd appreciate it.

4/15 & 10/23 are my areas frost dates. I currently have some seedlings in small cups with holes poked in the bottom. The cups are full of soil (1/3 miracle grow moisture control 1/3 sphagum peat moss 1/3 perlite). A few days after being placed outside they sprouted and have a few tiny leaves. They've only been outside for 3 days and i see some nice little green seedlings.

How often should i water them? Weekly? Daily? I know too much water is bad, and that lack of water is also bad. That is why i added things to hold onto moisture. There is nearby water easy accessible so i can water as much as i need to, but how much is enough?

When should i put my seedlings into soil? I figure they should be a few weeks in and definitely showing sex.

Also my soil mix is still the 1 part 1 part 1 part mentioned above. What else will i need for vegging? What will i need for flowering? I've read up about alot of the mixes but im confused when i need things and how to add them.

Side note did i start too late? I started from seeds not from clones (this is my first go). My seedlings are all outside (animals stay away from my area as of now), i can't raise them indoors where i currently reside.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Out door newb questions [Re: oxalic32]
    #228514 - 05/20/09 08:13 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

you'll want the soil to be slightly moist, but not overly wet.  for small cups outside, this will probably translate into watering every couple of days.  you want them to dry out a bit in between waterings, but not to the point of dehydration and death.  likewise, too much water and they will drown and/or rot, but this is unlikely with a well-draining soil mix and good drainage from the holes in the cups. 

you shouldn't wait to see sex before putting them in the soil.  the sooner you get them in the ground, the better.  in the cups the seedlings will not be able to expand the root system as quickly, and will become stunted compared to what they could achieve in the ground.  just yank the males later on when they show.

dig a big hole and fill it with your mix.  you shouldn't have to worry about specific nutrient plans for vegging vs flowering when they are in the ground, but you can always supplement a bit with some plant foods when you water.

you definitely did not start too late, this is the perfect time to get things going outdoors.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlineoxalic32
Male
Re: Out door newb questions [Re: Yrat]
    #228535 - 05/20/09 10:57 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Nice thanks for the replies dude.

Should i leave them in cups at all? Or should i immediately bury my seedlings? They about 1-3 inches high with just the first few leaves started (not the true leaves i mean the first leaves that appear).

The soil in the area looks very rich. Tons of plants and life growing from it, lots of worms stink bugs and organisms in the soil. I plan to add some of my mix, natural soil, and dried leaves to bury these guys.

Can you transplant too early? Also how deep should i dig my holes? My first hole dug was about a 1 food radius and about 1 1/2 feet deep.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies