Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelucidllama
Stranger
 User Gallery
Blackened bud hairs?!
    #849204 - 09/02/21 03:32 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Plants are showing blackening of hairs on buds!  Plants are very healthy aside from PM that I regularly spray for/defoliate and have been able to control, I think.

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
feminized photoperiod seed critical white - grown outdoors on 10th floor balcony

2. How old are your plants?
sown 15 March 2021
3. How tall are your plants?2 meters
4. What size containers are they planted in?30 liters
5.What is your soil mix? coco/perlite
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use and how much you give per watering?
Every third day, three rounds of nutrients, one watering with water only, then repeat cycle

~ pH 6 always - except for the day before I noticed the problem.  Water had been standing, so no chlorine from the municipality, but the pH is typically 7.8 and I didn't lower it this one time

7. What is the pH of your water?

~6 - except for the day before I noticed the problem.

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? 
General Hydroponics Flora series,  trio only, light feed program - week 5 mid-bloom ~830 ppm
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?

Hydrogen peroxide has been the most effective against powdery mildew. 
1 H2O2 : 3 H2O spray. 

For PM, I also use a  spray of 4L H2O : 15 ml baking soda : 15 ml dish soap : 15 ml sesame oil. _ I suspect it's the baking soda solution, because I haven't sprayed all entirely until the day before I noticed the blackened hairs, and have never done that much spraying with the plants at this advanced stage of flowering.

16. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?

Some small black bugs with white markings that look like spiders, but are not. About 5mm from head to tip of abdomen. Regular visits from wasp-type insects.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Blackened bud hairs?! [Re: lucidllama]
    #849208 - 09/02/21 03:56 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I suspect your spray to be the culprit, it's best not to spray the flowers with anything.

Small black bugs could be aphids or thrips, wasps are generally considered beneficial as many of them are parasitic.

Offlinelucidllama
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Blackened bud hairs?! [Re: yoosername]
    #849214 - 09/02/21 07:30 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you for your response. 

I'll see how the buds develop without the baking soda spray, but I have to keep the powdery mildew in check with the h2o2 spray and defoliation – really concerned about pm spread to buds.  Any better suggestions welcome.

Definitely neither thrips nor aphids based on pictures I've seen of those pests.

Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Blackened bud hairs?! [Re: lucidllama]
    #849238 - 09/04/21 03:15 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I've heard citric acid can be used as a foliar against PM, and apparently also kills mites on contact.  Could be useful, but I have not experimented with it yet.

Best thing you can do for next year is find a PM resistant strain.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder