Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinesateva
Stranger
New grow... would appreciate some guidance
    #846445 - 08/08/20 11:42 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Hi guys.

A bit of history, used to grow a bit when I was a kid, had a couple of smalltime teenage outdoor crops but nothing spectacular.

This year I setup a 5x10' tent with 3x 600w hps and 8x plants in a scrog setup. The first two grows I've run Big Bud #5, Big Bud #2 and Jack Herer which has been fun, I'm just about to fisnish off the last grow of these strains before moving on to phenosearch a Power Plant Primo strain from delicious seeds.

This larger grow has been in 30L pots of Coco peat, drip fed drain to waste which has been fine so far. I've managed to setup my watering system to water 4x a day at 1 minute intervals so I'm getting nearly no waste and I just flush through the last day to see how my EC reading is. It's worked well so far and since I set this system up my plants look way healthier than last grow where I was watering 3x a week and then changed that once daily where I was still getting a bit of waste and eventually nutrient burn.

Anyway, so I've just set up another smaller 4x4x6 tent that I want to use as a 'boutique' tent to grow other strains without interrupting my pheno search/lerger grow. Just a tent I can grow medical strains in or other cool strains to try out without having to worry about differing flower times/plant height etc in my large tent.

So I've ordered a 600w 3500k samsung mean well LED light panel for this grow because I wanted to try out LED's. The tent will be used in scrog again but I was curious if there were any other growing styles I could try out in the way of hydroponics. I like the idea of faster growing times and higher yields but am unsure of what I could consider using for this small tent, NFT/RDWC? how could I set it up? is it worth bothering or should I just stick with what I know in Coco DTW?

Also, since I am using the 3500k LED's, would it be a good idea to pick up a few little UVB CFL's and stick them in the tent in the last couple of weeks of flower? Would that be worth the hassle? i have some UV HPS bulbs that I use in my large tent for the last 2 weeks, wonder if I can just add in supplemental light  with the LED's to boost resin production. I have a couple of T5 CFL's that I use for propagation i thought a couple of those might do well?

Thanks guys, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFree
Bushwacker

Re: New grow... would appreciate some guidance [Re: sateva]
    #846535 - 08/21/20 04:38 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

There are a lot of different questions in your post. Frankly I think you should stick with a good quality "soil" for your smaller boutique bud setup. I won't even bother smoking hydro of any kind and would not consider it to be "boutique" bud. But that's just me.

OfflineCannabrainz
Grower
Male

Re: New grow... would appreciate some guidance [Re: sateva]
    #846947 - 11/25/20 11:39 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Id go without the UVB unless there's a reptile in the growroom. Just get a real light/HID. I'd grow in soil, with quality nutrients, and proven genetics for best results.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: New grow... would appreciate some guidance [Re: sateva] * 1
    #846966 - 11/28/20 05:11 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

https://vanessa-nielsen.com/cannabis-plants-uv-light/

Mild UV exposure for 6 hours a day for at least 40 days has a positive correlation with THC content, and a negative correlation with CBD content.

Samsung LM301b diodes emit negligible amounts of UV (the datasheet doesn't bother to show the normalized intensity below 400nm). If you are growing for THC, it would be wise to introduce some source of UV into your grow tent.

HID lighting naturally produces some UV, LED usually does not (unless specific UVB diodes are included).

I would say if you are changing up your lighting, and your tent size, then you may want to stick to your current coco setup to reduce the number of variables to keep track of and troubleshoot. Once you get comfortable with the new tent and lighting, then maybe look into hydroponics for something to play around with.

Feel free to start a grow log and keep us up to date on your new venture. Best of luck! :happyweed:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds