Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineJazzycnt
Stranger
 User Gallery

Bagseed seedling/Telling the gender of your plant
    #845681 - 06/21/20 08:06 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

At the beginning of this month I found a seed in some good quality dispensary bud. It was about 27% thc and the strain was Orange Peel. I originally sprouted two until my cat ate it when it was about 4 inches tall. They both sprouted very well and this is obvious signs of good genetic qualities. I was pondering something the other day; I would assume the bud that is sold came from a plant that was originally a feminized seed. Now, if this is the case, then the seeds produced from the female plant would have a 99% success rate at being female(please correct this if it is untrue).
I obviously know that it would be too early to tell the gender of this seedling, however, if someone could provide some information regarding how long it will be until there are signs of the male balls or the female pistils. I added a pic and am curious to know y’alls opinion on its growth so far. It is currently being grown in the Black and Gold soil with worm castings under an LED grow light on an 18-6 light schedule.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Bagseed seedling/Telling the gender of your plant [Re: Jazzycnt]
    #845915 - 07/09/20 11:20 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

You'd have to know where the pollen came from to be sure of anything. The plant could have been a hermaphrodite and pollinated itself or been pollinated by a male. For the seeds to be female someone would need to induce male organs on an XX chromosome female plant and use that pollen to pollinate an XX female plant, producing all X seeds. Males have XY chromosome and hermie have both XY and XX, so there's a good chance some of those seeds have Y chromosome and could be male.

Sometimes you can see early signs of sex with a jewelers loupe or magnifying glass after only few weeks. Though the time it takes seems to vary from plant to plant and you can mistake female pistils for balls if you are too hasty. I know there are several little tricks for early sex identifying but I need to brush up on them myself. I think maybe you can provoke or just speed up early sex organs by temporarily reducing the hours of light closer to 12, but like I said I need to brush up.

Goodluck!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds