Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

Seeking guidance - Bagseed woes
    #844587 - 04/21/20 12:44 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I germinated these seeds so that I could set up my space and dial it in while my feminized seeds were shipping from overseas. Life happened, shipping from within the US ended up taking longer than international for some items, and I'm left with my proverbial dick in hand.

My fans arrived, but my local big box was out of ducting in the size I need, so I had to order online, and shipping is taking for-fucking-ever. I had planned to give these (potential) ladies a good childhood, but all I've managed to do is perpetuate the cycle of over-watering and light burn that my parents put me through!  :crymyeyesout:

I'm not going to germinate the big girls until the rest of my materials are in hand, and I have a few days of solid temps locked down, so I figured I'd take the opportunity to try learn what I can from these ones, and see if I can't bounce them back. Really excited to get a proper grow journal going in the next few weeks!

1. Are you growing from seed or clones? - Started from bagseed

2. How old are your plants? - About 3 weeks since they were put into soil.

3. How tall are your plants? - About 2" or so

4. What size containers are they planted in? - 16oz Solo cups (nail holes poked all around bottom center, as well as ~8 holes around sides below the middle of the cup.)

5.What is your soil mix? - MG potting mix with a few handfuls of verm mixed in before potting

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use and how much you give per watering? - Watered heavily when planted then waited for them to get very dry at 1" deep before lightly watering around once a week. Water is 6.5-7ph well water that sits out for a day in the grow room before waterings.

I've been scared to over-water so I've been trying to judge based mostly on cup weight, and secondly on the finger test.

7. What is the pH of your water? - 6.5-7 I'm currently using strips, ordering a proper kit this week. Our water has been known to be hard in my area, if I'm remembering right it contains a lot of sulphur.

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? - I haven't used any fert/nutes at this point. Planning on Jungle Juice with this weeks order.

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? - No.

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") - I've had some lighting issues, so it's been a bit varied. I received 2 non-working MH bulbs, so I started these guys off under a "2000w" blurple with a 1000w HPS bulb going as well. I believe I had them too close. I now have them a bit more than 2' away from a 1000w MH.

11. How close are your lights to the plants? - Currently 2', too close in the past 2 weeks.

12. What size is your grow space in square feet? - For the purposes of these plants I'll only be using a portion of the total room, say about 50sq'

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? - Temp hovers between 70 - mid 80's throughout the day, fans arrived, duct work is still shipping. Humidity usually around 30%.

14. What is the pH of the soil? - I mixed a small amount of soil with a small amount of water and got 6.5 if I'm reading the strips correctly.

15. What is the pH of your run off? - Looks to be between 6.5 - 7 if I'm reading the strips correctly.

16. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? - None.

The 2 on the bottom right don't look like they'll bounce back, but I didn't see any reason not to let them give it all they have.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Seeking guidance - Bagseed woes [Re: Rolleduhhp]
    #844589 - 04/21/20 06:05 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I wouldn't use MG anything.  If you're going to feed bottled nutrients, I would grow in coco.  If you want to grow in soil, I would suggest making your own and growing organically.  Either way, you may need to consider a RO filter.

My guess would be your plants are suffering either because of the MG soil, or your hard water.  Shouldn't be too hard to figure out which it is with a little experimentation.

OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

Re: Seeking guidance - Bagseed woes [Re: yoosername]
    #844598 - 04/21/20 08:29 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I should've stayed away from the MG, but it's what I had on hand, and I thought I'd be tossing these outside along the woods line, and starting with the fem seeds by now.

I plan on starting them in FF, then mixing their large pots 50/50 FF and local mix, so I'll start tackling my hard water issue.

Thanks for the reply!

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seeking guidance - Bagseed woes [Re: yoosername]
    #844599 - 04/21/20 10:20 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

yoosername said:
My guess would be your plants are suffering because of the MG soil

I'm banking on this. OP has a rudimentary way to find out the pH so can not be certain that is what it is. MG is a notorious cannabis killer. Especially with seedlings. OP's problem is every time they water MG is releasing time released nutes. Which will eventually kill the plants. My advice to OP is to start seeds in seed starting soil (MG actually has a decent verm/peat poss mix). Plain coco is another option which works well imo.

OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

Re: Seeking guidance - Bagseed woes [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #844604 - 04/21/20 02:34 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I have access to good topsoil, and picked up a bag of that MG peat/verm mix. The only garden supply that's open is a good hike from me, so I'll have to wait until the weekend to get up there.

I have some worm castings, coco bricks, verm, perlite, sand, and good topsoil. Would it be a good idea to mix up some soil and try to get as much of that MG outta the picture as I can?

I'm confident I could get them out of the cups and shake most of that MG loose without damaging the roots. Is there a better option?

I'll look at a few soil mixes on here and see what looks good.

OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

#844616 - 04/21/20 09:40 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

So, I got rained out of work today and had some time to fuck around.

I mixed an 8qt bag of sphagnum peat moss, an 8qt bag of perlite, several cups of vermiculite, a few pounds of earthworm castings and 2 hydrated coco coir bricks. I added a quart or so of local topsoil as well.

I dry mixed everything in layers, then poured that mix out into 2 large totes, and started incorporating my re-hydrated coir. I ended up with a really nice light soil that was moist to the touch, but not dripping when squeezed.

I grabbed a rapitest ph meter, and nute test kit. It's the one with the capsules that you shake. I took measurements with chinese brand ph strips, the rapitest meter, and the rapitest kit.

I'll have a proper wet/dry ph meter shipped this week, and I'll be getting a nute test kit that looks a little more enthusiast level than what the big box store had to offer.

The well water was fresh out of the spigot today, but I'm usually very good about letting it sit for a day, and I'll be adding some pumps/stones to my order this week for making tea, so I'll grab a few extra so I can run one in the water bucket as well.

I made a table showing my results that I'll include. I didn't test the water with the capsule kit - can I just mix a capsule with the water without putting soil in there? I didn't want to waste a capsule if the results won't be worth trusting.
For the PH Strip soil test, I just mixed the same amount of soil as the capsule test, and the same amount of water, but didn't add the capsule. After shaking and letting it settle I tested by dipping a strip.

I did not buffer the coco, which I will do in the future.

I added a few cap-fulls of Alaska Fish Fertilizer to ~4gal of water, and watered lightly just outside where the rootball was reaching so that it has a snack to chase.

I'll add some pics of the 2 plants I'm trying this mix with tonight/tomorrow afternoon.

I know this isn't ideal, but does anyone have any input on what I've got going on?

My next trip to town should be fruitful - I'll grab some blood/bonemeal, and whatever you guys recommend if I can find it.

Edited by Rolleduhhp (04/22/20 12:52 AM)

OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

#844651 - 04/25/20 02:09 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Still waiting on some stuff to arrive - it looks like I'm gonna be a week and change until germing the good seeds, but things are going good with the bagseed grow.

I threw all 9 of the plants in 5 gallon buckets. Each bucket has 5x 3/8 drainage holes on the bottom of the bucket, and 4x along the side (all the way down towards the bottom).

I covered the bottom with clean stone, and threw a bit of verm/perlite mix on to cover that.

The soil is peat/coir with a bit of verm and a generous amount of perlite. I added some earthworm castings, epsom salts, bone meal, blood meal, alaska fish fert, dolomite lime, and a few handfuls of local topsoil.

I have some kelp stuff, some guano, and some jungle juice on the way, but until then I used what I had on hand to make a tea.

I've been bubbling some fruits and veggies I've saved this week. I put them in a pair of socks with some molasses, fish fert, a dash of superthrive, a bit of epsom salt, a handful of the above mentioned soil mix, and I mashed em up real good in the bottom of the bucket with a 4x4. I'm getting some aquarium water in the next few days to add in as well.

It smells terrible, but the film looks great based on what I've read about bubbling tea. The plants I tested it on seemed to love it.

Here they are right after transplant, so I'll update in a few days with how they respond.

As soon as I start the grow log I'll just add a section for updates on these (cross my fingers) ladies.

OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

#844699 - 04/28/20 03:51 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

They're loving life now!

Still waiting on collars for the exhaust, but I have the temps manageable in the mean time. A bit higher than ya want, but they're not fussing too much about it.

There's one lil one in the back (not pictured) that's been hanging on by a thread for awhile, but it looks like she's finally making some moves.

I have a ph and tds meter on the way, so I'll be able to dial things correctly for the fem seeds.

I've got two buckets of tea going at the moment, and I just added some aquarium water yesterday. They smell awful (in a good way), and the top layer looks really active.
I'm just going to keep using what I have on hand until the rest of my orders arrive. It seems to be working well.

I've been trying to give some thought to which strains I'm going to germinate. I have 1 auto-flower seed. I'll do some digging, but does anyone have any experience with throwing an auto in with the rest of the class? Is it going to fuck it up if it's flowering while the room is still 18/6?
If I remember right, auto's are usually from near the equator where they get longer days, which is why they don't rely on shorter days to flower. Am I misremembering that?

OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

#844803 - 05/02/20 08:27 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Got my intake/exhaust hooked up today, and they're running great. Temps didn't drop as much as I had hoped they would, so I'll be grabbing an air-cooled reflector and setting that up as soon as it gets here.

I think I butchered my attempt at FIMing. I tried pinching, and I'm still not sure what I did wrong, but I'm gonna give it another go down the line.
I FIM'd 3, topped 1, and left the rest alone.

OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

#845120 - 05/24/20 07:52 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

The big girl in the back has some pretty nasty clawing going on, but otherwise she's doing fine.

Been dialing in my ph now that most of my gear is here, so hopefully we can power through.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Bmm6uBv

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag