Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDr.Greenthumb93
Stranger
Pest Control - Preventive Measures / Best Practices for Plants and Gardener * 1
    #844518 - 04/17/20 08:46 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

please be kind with me. I'm from Germany and gathered many best practice tips. Just used google translator to convert it into english

After various questions about pests of all kinds keep popping up, I try to summarize some important points for you. In this thread I would like to inform you about preventive measures so that there is no pest infestation.
If necessary, I would be happy to recommend antidotes and tips for each individual pest type (I'm a landscape gardener master with my own company), but this would go beyond the scope of the post.

After colonies can also grow indoors in your grow boxes due to contaminated soil or flight characteristics of the pests, here are some tips to avoid this.

First of all, some preventive measures that can save you a lot of trouble. Better safe than sorry!

Cupboard / box / attachment space

1. Provide supply and exhaust air openings with a suitable mesh material or filter wool (check air flow!). Fly screens are definitely too coarse for thrips, pollen filters would be more suitable. A slight negative pressure is desired because it also helps to avoid "aroma leaks", provided the ventilation runs 24/7

2. Mask the supply and exhaust air openings all around with a wide masking tape and coat the adhesive tape with a thin film of insect glue (e.g. from Neudorf * from the garden center). Helps tremendously with early detection. Also shows the guaranteed unsuccessful attempts to break in from the outside, the glue really sticks extremely well and permanently.

Pots, coasters, tools, soil / substrate etc.

1. If pots / planters and coasters are used again, thorough cleaning with subsequent disinfection is advisable (possibly with inexpensive methylated spirits or similar, observe safety measures).
2. A thread counter, pocket microscope, etc. are very helpful for closer observation.
3. Protective gloves are not a disadvantage when examining the plants, if infected and unaffected plants are examined, the gloves can be disinfected in between.
4. Equipment and utensils from the attachment area should not be used for houseplants or the like; regular cleaning also seems to be recommended here.
5. Neither should you go directly from the garden (outside) into your inner garden if you have not cleaned the clothes beforehand, or, better, changed them; Prevention is better than extensive pest control.
6. Do not use soil that has been stored outside (garden and hardware store, garden, balcony), the risk of infestation is too great.
7. If possible use quality earths with proven ingredients, pH and EC values, saving on the soil / substrate is worthwhile in the very rarest of cases.
8. If soil is used again, it should be processed accordingly, possibly using additives (e.g. Mineral Magic, worm earth, perlite)
9. Pot edges can also be provided with crepe and glue for prevention.

plants
1. Do not take any plants from outside (balcony, garden, greenhouse, friends / acquaintances) into the box (the closet / attachment area) without a quarantine phase.
2. Do not create the quarantine department in the same room, pests are very persistent when it comes to covering short distances in apartments / houses. 3. Label the plants and leave space for comments, possibly take notes / keep a diary, broad masking tape is also useful here.
4. Apply crepe and glue to the plant stems in the lower area before the first node, prevent infestation from below and is useful as a control mark

further questions on plant pests etc. i will answer in other posts  usually i order my stuff from Growland . but i think in 'murica you guys will have other stores since it's illegal to grow in europe

greetings
your
Dr. Greenthumb

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pest Control - Preventive Measures / Best Practices for Plants and Gardener [Re: Dr.Greenthumb93]
    #844520 - 04/17/20 10:37 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds