Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

Exhaust fan Question
    #843822 - 03/22/20 03:39 PM (4 years, 6 days ago)

I have an 840 cubic foot space to work with, inside of a larger building.

I'm planning to exhaust the grow room into the larger room at a rate of once per minute, and then exhaust the larger room with a spare no-name exhaust fan of unknown cfm + carbon filter.

Do I need to worry about exhausting the larger room as strictly in terms of air exchange per minute, or will passive airflow because of cracks and doors be okay?

This is the fan I will be using from the grow room into the building:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/iLIVING-850-CFM-14-in-Power-Exhaust-Shutter-Attic-Garage-Grow-Fan-with-3-Speed-Thermostat-6-ft-L-3-Plugs-Cord-ILG8SF14V-T/310340618

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Exhaust fan Question [Re: Rolleduhhp]
    #843859 - 03/23/20 01:44 PM (4 years, 5 days ago)

It really depends on the conditions.

How large is the external building?

Is the external building climate controlled? If not, what are the normal temp/humidity values for the external building? Is the building insulated?

How many watts of lighting are you planning on running?

If unsure, it may be a good idea to run your system without plants (and maybe a humidifier to simulate plant transpiration) for several hours to see what happens to the temperature in the grow area and inside the external building. If you don't know the cfm of your no-name fan, there's really no way of knowing if the heat from the lights and humidity from the plants will be removed fast enough.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

Re: Exhaust fan Question [Re: Data]
    #843863 - 03/23/20 05:45 PM (4 years, 5 days ago)

The external building is 24' x 24'. It is very well insulated, and generally stays 5-10* cooler than outside temps.

It has propane heating, but no cooling at the moment.

I'll measure the temp and humidity over the next few days. I'll check outside, in the main building, and in the grow room.

I'm going to start veg with 3000w, but plan to have 5000w by flowering for this first batch of ladies.

I'm still waiting on the lights to ship, and I'll pull the trigger on the fan tonight, so that should be here by the end of the month.

I still have to vent the peaks of the building, but the main door isn't sealed, and there is a 2" vent in the main building from old construction.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #843864 - 03/23/20 06:16 PM (4 years, 5 days ago)

Make sure the humidity doesn't build up in the larger room if your exhausting in there. It will feel like a swamp in there. I always liked to exhaust to the outside. Be mindful of where your intake is coming from as well. Cool air from outside is best. It has the most CO2.

My 4x8 tent in a 12x12 room had exhaust going outside all year. In the winter I would close the bedroom door and open the attic access (thank god it was in that room). It would pull from the attic and blow outside, not sucking my apartment heat out and new air in from the leaky windows and doors.

In the summer I would open the bedroom door and apartment windows and it kept it cool enough in the entire house. Using just the attic air in the summer made it too hot in there.

I used 2 fans. A 4x4 veg tent with passive intake from the 12x12 lung room, an inline 'booster' fan from the 4x4 into the 4x8 and the 4x8 going outside. The tent was under negative pressure, and I feel this helped the plants grow tremendously. .

Carbon filters suck--they run out. Cops came to my house for something else and said they could smell my plants. I got an ozone generator inline with the output and it solved ALL the smell problems. Can't breath it though, so it needs to go outside for sure. Don't let it ozone around your plants. Ebay has 3500mg/hr units for like $35.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by phychotron (03/23/20 06:27 PM)

OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

Re: Exhaust fan Question [Re: phychotron]
    #843898 - 03/24/20 05:10 PM (4 years, 4 days ago)

I'll definitely look into an ozone generator.

I'm not tremendously concerned with the smell, but I can't let it get out of hand. I only have 1 neighbor to worry about, out of 3, and I'll be exhausting on the opposite side of the building from his property, which is still a good distance away.

When I'm back to work and have a bit more money to play with, I might end up putting something together to run the exhaust out to the brush where the woods starts. There should be plenty of thick growth to diffuse the smell.

I have to pick up another thermo/hygro - the one I had was reading wayyyy off. Might towel wrap it tomorrow, but I could use an excuse to grab a digital one anyway, if I can find one that comes recommended.

I have some bagseed germinating right now, just popped a few taproots this afternoon. I'm using them to get back into the swing of things while my fem seeds are on the way.

OfflineRolleduhhp
Dog With Thumbs

#844167 - 04/02/20 06:32 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Exhaust is installed, and the lights are up.

I have the fan set to kick on before it hits 80* and my thermo is reading a high of 86* in the grow room in the past 24h. I'll start dialing in where I want that exhaust fan to be set.

I left a few outlets covered with mylar, and noticed some condensation where they were meeting the mylar, so I cut out around them, and just let the negative pressure of the room pull the sheets away from the wall, so I haven't had any issues with moisture building up, hopefully it stays that way when the room fills up a bit more.

Since my exhaust setup is less than ideal I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do to exhaust the main building.

Should I just calculate the volume of the entire building, including the grow room, so I have enough overhead?

24×24×10 = 5760f3

How often do I need to exchange that volume of air? The grow area is exhausting 850cfm once per minute, if I have my shit straight. Do I need to exhaust the main building at that same rate if my temps are under control?

EDIT: How high was I when I wrote this? We may never know.

I'm building a plenum off of my installed exhaust, and then I'm gonna pipe that through the wall like a normal human being, and not have to worry about the air in the rest of the building.

Sometimes it's good to take a night off and come back to it.

Edited by Rolleduhhp (04/03/20 04:30 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder