Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
277V work on 120V
    #829692 - 11/18/17 01:05 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Electronically educated friends,

I am trying to set up a Flow Hood for my mushroom cultivation and figured I would ask for help here since many here work with electricity as their professional jobs.

I do not have specifics on the actual in/output of the HIPA filter but the seller says:

"This is enough filtration to turn a 2,500 sqft room into a class 100 clean room. Please note that the fan units are for 277V, a common voltage for clean room installations."

What would I be looking for on a wiring system graph to determine if I can adjust the voltage of the system?

I found another forum discussing how to use a 277v ballast on a 120v system, but do NOT understand what they did to make it work or if it will be similar to my needs.

http://nastyz28.com/threads/electricians-need-help-with-277-volt-wiring.85459/

http://www.rollitup.org/t/any-way-to-make-277v-work-on-120v.327669/

Any help or guidance would be awesome!
:awethumb:

--------------------
x:tongue:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

Re: 277V work on 120V [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #829693 - 11/18/17 01:54 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like 3 phase or something heavy duty. I don't even think 3 phase will run out of a residential fuse box. That's one hell of a flow hood man

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: 277V work on 120V [Re: funky]
    #829694 - 11/18/17 02:40 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

So, the difference between a flow hood and a ballast is that a ballast uses a stepup transformer to jack up the voltage. This is usually a resonant transformer that outputs at a decently high frequency relative to the input A.C. A 3 phase transformer usually has 3 separate coils on the primary, and so can easily be re-wired to run as a crappy single or 2-phade transformer.

The flow hood likely uses a 3-phase motor that cannot be rewired to run on single phase. There is a way to get the thing limping along on 2-phase, but it will not run at rated power, and will vibrate itself apart over time, due to 1/3 of the Rotor not receiving sync'd power.

However, they do make single-to-three phase converters if you have a little cash. It's essentially a single-phase motor turning a 3-phase generator, which provides your hood motor with the 3 phase power it needs. They are relatively quiet, but will require slightly more input power than your hood is rated for, to account for the extra efficiency losses added by all of the weird energy conversions.

I would not recommend trying to limp your hood on 2-phase power, nor would I recommend trying to build your own converter unless you are very well versed in electrical power and proper wiring techniques. Motors require a fuck-load of starting current, and inadequately wired power supplies can quickly catch fire under that kind of loading.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
Re: 277V work on 120V [Re: Data]
    #829697 - 11/18/17 03:56 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you for breaking that down.

The single-to-three phase converters are priced to the point where I am thinking it may not be worth going this route. I am not well experienced with electricity so I would be paying for it to be configured.

Looks like you helped me narrow down that it will be best for me to acquire multiple 115v filter units to do the same job.

+5 to you amigo.

*Edit: Out of curiosity, is this video demonstrating how to "limp" a 3-phase motor to a 1-phase power supply? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UcDM3hm0XM

Edited by MushrooMan420 (11/18/17 04:06 PM)

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: 277V work on 120V [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #829702 - 11/18/17 05:25 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Not really, if you can get the motor moving prior to applying 2 phase, then it'll roll along at speed but with reduced power and a lot of vibration.

This is actually an example of oversimplification. He claims that you can just throw any old capacitor on there and artificially generate your 3rd phase. He is correct, but what he is missing is the selection of the capacitor to get a safe operating and starting phase angle, relative to the other 2 incoming phases.

Additionally, 3 phase power is supplied by 3 separate phase conductors that originate at the balanced step-down transformer near the road that you live off of. Trying to pull 2 separate phases off of the same incoming conductor will result in an assymetrical current between your two live conductors. This configuration will potentially challenge your supply circuit and the quality of the supply power if you aren't careful, or it will result in lower power output by the motor, and even a reduced version of the vibration we talked about earlier.

Again, unless his 2nd video specifically calls out a formula for capacitor sizing...i would be very careful rigging a 3-phase motor to run on single-phase supply. All safe options generally involve a motor replacement or a phase converter.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck