Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJml417
Stranger
Hydroponic flood and drain buckets roots
    #829372 - 10/31/17 07:29 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

I have 6 hydro ebb and flow system, I have the pots turning on four times a day, sittin in water for half hour or so,  and drain I use aurora nutrients soul pack, the plants roots have always been pretty dark in color, the nutrients I figured just dyed them super dark brown but they just don't look good, the plants alll look super healthy an growing well, Ijust an nervous when I flipped to flower that they will not be so generous... I have a water pump just cycling the water in the resevoir, no aeration pumps, just wondering if I should put on in the rsesevoir or in the buckets,? I use hydroguard also, temps in rsesevoir  stay steady 70f, I see some new roots growing that are white, there some smaller hairs on bigger roots as well just not like how I see on the Internet... Any help will be greatly appreciated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

Re: Hydroponic flood and drain buckets roots [Re: Jml417]
    #829373 - 10/31/17 11:23 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like root rot. The roots should be all white with no brown. 30 minutes sitting in water sounds a bit long to me, does it cycle through for 30 minutes or sits still for 30 minutes? Roots need lots of oxygen so a bubbler may help in the rez. Sounds like you have rdwc set up not ebb and flow. Rdwc needs bubblers in the buckets for healthy roots. Got any pics

OfflineJml417
Stranger
Re: Hydroponic flood and drain buckets roots [Re: funky]
    #829375 - 10/31/17 11:55 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineJml417
Stranger
    #829376 - 10/31/17 11:56 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

That's my setup no pics tomorrow I can get some up, the roots look like complete crap but they looked like this before an they lightened up in color? Like the first 2 weeks they were looking brown an then whitened up again

OfflineJml417
Stranger
    #829377 - 10/31/17 11:58 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

The res fills buckets in 5 mins or so, an I let water sit for 30 mins, should I have the system turn on more than four times a day with less time the roots sit in water?

Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

#829378 - 11/01/17 12:25 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

With that system I would probably wouldn't let them sit more than maybe 10 minutes in water. Extended periods in water can drown the roots they need air. You should fill then drain the buckets then every 30 minutes to a hour check the roots and see if they are dry. You want the roots to dry out some not totally dry, then note how long it takes for them to get dry and that's how long in between the flood cycle.

Flood for 10 minutes then off for however long it takes the roots to dry then flood agian. Dry in like the wet sheen goes away. I've never used that system but I've have used flood table before. I would flood when medium got dry you don't have medium so I'm not 100% on it.

Edited by funky (11/01/17 01:47 AM)

OfflineJml417
Stranger
    #829380 - 11/01/17 02:31 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks funky I'll get to it

Offlinemcnastynasty
Columbus of the inner globe

#829437 - 11/03/17 08:47 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Just because your roots are darker doesn't always mean rot.  Do they smell bad? Like swamp water?  Are they slimey or really weak? Like if you tug on em lightly to they just fall apart?  If the answer is yes to any of these it could be rot.  If not, then you just stained your roots.

I run the titan flow and grow, similiar system and I put air lines in every bucket as well as my rez.  I use one of the pondmaster air pumps to do so. I did notice that my plants took off after I did this. These systems often leave a little water in the bucket that can certainly go anaerobic.

If everything is running healthy I doubt you have rot, the plants would be acting pissed off most likely.

Funkys advice is good, follow that, and if you want add an air pump down the line.  I set mine to run 15 on 15 off all day so that it doesnt warm the water, yet it provides air to that left over water as well as saves my ass if for some reason the system decides not to drain.

OfflineGanjaganj
Stranger
    #829497 - 11/08/17 07:47 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

funky said:
With that system I would probably wouldn't let them sit more than maybe 10 minutes in water. Extended periods in water can drown the roots they need air. You should fill then drain the buckets then every 30 minutes to a hour check the roots and see if they are dry. You want the roots to dry out some not totally dry, then note how long it takes for them to get dry and that's how long in between the flood cycle.

Flood for 10 minutes then off for however long it takes the roots to dry then flood agian. Dry in like the wet sheen goes away. I've never used that system but I've have used flood table before. I would flood when medium got dry you don't have medium so I'm not 100% on it.

This is all dependent on how much oxygen is being delivered to the roots. With RCDW the roots are in water one hundred percent of the time. Proper temps, no light, good aeation, and maybe some hygrozyme or sensizyme and theyll be white the entire run.

OfflineJml417
Stranger
Re: Hydroponic flood and drain buckets roots [Re: Ganjaganj]
    #829504 - 11/08/17 01:08 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you guys so much frrrreal, shits rough in the life of
jml417  atm

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag