Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecdmc1984
Stranger

which ballast last longer?
    #828526 - 09/13/17 02:18 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I am just looking into buying a few new lights and was wondering in your opinion which ballast last longer and perform longer like it should.
we have these to chose from and feel free to add in your own options!!!

Magnetic Switchable Ballast?

Digital Ballast Dimmable? <-- These are also switchable I think!

Standard Switchable Ballast?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: which ballast last longer? [Re: cdmc1984]
    #828547 - 09/13/17 10:38 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Think digital is only smart way to go. More efficient less heat makes semse would last longer and can dial up or down depending on plant needs.

Not and expert but magnetics are old school

OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: which ballast last longer? [Re: Theman]
    #828556 - 09/14/17 09:31 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Theman said:
Think digital is only smart way to go. More efficient less heat makes semse would last longer and can dial up or down depending on plant needs.

Not and expert but magnetics are old school

I've been using the same magnetic 400 watt HPS and MH ballasts since 1988 29years and have not had any issues with them. Ask cdmc1984 how long his last digital ballast lasted.

FYI people say HPS and MH are old school and the only smart way to go is LCD since 1999 but the joke is HPS still produce more lumens and bud per watt then LCD lights in 2017. :wink:

BTW if a digital ballast makes less heat why does it need a fan where magnetic ones don't? Same question for LCD users.

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: which ballast last longer? [Re: Rider420]
    #828560 - 09/14/17 04:52 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Ya ur right it does seem magnetic last more then digital. Dig is slightly more efficient tho make bulbs last longer perhaps aswell vs not lasting as long may not really make up for it.

The reason for fans in LED not lcd and digi is because the parts are more sensetivs in a smaller area not that they produce more heat then magnetic. Think parchment paper in oven vs applying lighter. May not burn in an oven even though exposed to waay more heat energy then a lighter. But lighter will set it on fire.

Digital are lighter and smaller so if space is an issue may be worth it. Or if heat is major problem for u and payimg extra AC bills may be a factor. How much less u would have to look up.. or if noise is a huge issue digital are quiter.

Mmm i dunno about ur claims about more lumens per watt hid vs led. The par per watt in led is def better. Check out utube for side by side led vs hid.  Many show same or better yeild plus usually higher terpene as less heat evaporation and or produxe more. If growing huge tall plants hid may be better for penetration but because of the nature of led can add supplemental to lower sides. Its not so cut and dry anymore that hid is superior 100% of the time only super downfall is cost of high emd fixtures but now tech is slowing down efficiency in production will lower cost in the next 3 years there will be enough comp and since most quality led are generally made of identical led with minor internal differences tge major differentiation is going to be made via price. Aswell as education on LED grows and people realize that. Tgere is no magic proprietary led spectrum and they are all manufactured by the same 2 companies it will solidify that fact. Companies will be forced to have a model where selling more is only way to get cheaper deal from 1 of the 2 manufacturers so selling more for cheaper will be smartest move. Cant see companies taking a leap to manufacture tgere own led as dont think could make it economical just for grow lights. Lol aaanyeay little rant..

OfflineRider420
Stranger

#828582 - 09/15/17 09:34 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Yup go check out every legal grow op in Canada or the States and you will find HPS lighting not led or lcd lol.

When the big boys start using LED lights then I will be interested, but right now HPS produces more bud per watt then any other light.

Right now Canadian cannabis companies are ramping up production yet none of them are using LED lights.

But I'm sure the YouTube channels selling LED lights are making lots of money. Just like they were in 2000 selling the new LED ufo lights that were better then any hps ROLMFAO 17 years later same old same old.

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#828584 - 09/16/17 12:14 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Saskabush?rider???

Publicly traded grow companies def would see led as a risk but seeing more in veg production and for supplimental in greenhouses. And def plenty in california few breeder panels have talked about using them

When u see what led can do in person u realize its not the ufo s of yesteryear. Not hands down best option but def can produce. Also keep in mind price is barier as why put up 4x the cost to do similar job. But not to say they are unable to produce. Again not saying led is only way to go as def isnt but the current diodes can def make full and terpie nugs.

Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
    #828593 - 09/16/17 09:29 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Magnetic ballasts are easy to repair, digi's are more "disposable". 

LED's are the new hot shit, but you pretty much have to build them yourself to make it worth it.  They are an investment, and the technology is only getting better, so it can be hard to decide when to buy in.  Their quality depends on the parts that went into them, with COB's ranging from $2.50-$50+ each.  The parts can be reused for different builds, so you can upgrade diodes to keep with the times.  Pretty easy to DIY if you have any experience with electronics.

What you should buy depends on how you intend to grow.  A smaller grow with excellent canopy  management would benefit from the reduced heat output of LED's, but a large grow op may find the startup costs and additional work daunting.

Offlinecdmc1984
Stranger

#828600 - 09/16/17 01:15 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Honestly im old school. I still grow in dirt pots when I do grow I like the feel of earth. My HID came from china cost $150 usd with free shipping lasted 5 years and worked great up until I put a fancy plant bulb in it then it went downhill from there. plants grew great for 3 weeks then the transformer in the ballast tried to catch fire burnet the windings up. Now I am one the hunt to repair or replace.

Offlinecdmc1984
Stranger

Re: which ballast last longer? [Re: yoosername]
    #828601 - 09/16/17 01:37 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

are they now!  Can you help me find myself a replacement transformer cheaper then just replacing the entire set up?

BAHPS/MH1000CWAL
CW AUTOTRANSFORMER BALLAST
1000W S52 SODIUM LAMP
        OR
1000W M47 METAL HALIDE
120/208/240/277V 60Hz
9.50/5.50/4.75/4.15A 445 VOC
26MFD 525V CAP
AD180
MADE IN CHINA

every thing is

Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: which ballast last longer? [Re: cdmc1984]
    #828605 - 09/16/17 07:54 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Not without ultimately defeating the purpose.  Cheapest one I've found is $100, at that price you'd be better off buying a higher quality used ballast.  I've seen broken ballasts pretty cheap on craigslist, you may have some luck looking around and scavenging, but frankenstein units can be a headache if the inputs don't match.

It may not even be practical to rewind, with the price of copper these days combined with the required effort.

Ebay has good deals from time to time, that would probably be your best bet if you're hell bent on fixing it.

Offlinecdmc1984
Stranger

Re: which ballast last longer? [Re: yoosername]
    #828606 - 09/16/17 08:18 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

yep yep yep I been googling with the same outcome.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies