Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMacky
Stranger
I'm a teapot

First grow
    #825865 - 05/12/17 09:19 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Alright peeps, so going to try and get a grow log/update thing down. Got everything up and running finally, germinated 3 power plant seeds in kitchen roll and looks as though 2 are going to make it (started popping up yesterday). Think one is struggling as it sprouted a day after the other 2 and I think the paper dried out too much for it over night. Popped them all in root riot cubes and potted them straight away, didn't fancy messing them around with pot transfers.

I'm growing in 1.2x1.2x2 tent using canna coco pro with 600w sunmaster bulb and lumii adjustable ballast and 5" fan and filter.

Being as this is the first one I'm only going to use canna a+b and see how she does. Also I'm just going to let them grow with no training techniques and maybe try to experiment in my next run.

I'll upload some pics shortly, if anyone has and constructive criticism ill be very grateful.

Cheers!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow (moved) [Re: Macky]
    #825866 - 05/12/17 09:43 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

This thread was moved from Cannabis Cultivation.

Reason:
Better spot for it

InvisibleMacky
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: First grow (moved) [Re: phychotron] * 1
    #825867 - 05/12/17 10:22 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Here's the pics

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #825882 - 05/13/17 04:15 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisibleMacky
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: First grow (moved) [Re: Data]
    #825935 - 05/18/17 06:12 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

It's been a week now, the seedlings are looking not too bad, one problem I think is that they're struggling to get their second set of leaves up.
http://

One never shot up so I replaced it with a tomato which seems to be loving it. Temp was getting a bit hot so I moved the tent into an area with much better air circulation, I've added a small fan, some wet t shirts to up the humidity a bit but they still seem to be stalling

Any suggestions for more rapid growth anyone? I've been watering with 120ml of tap water every time the top dries out every 1-2 days close to the stems, not using any nutrients yet.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #825939 - 05/18/17 07:38 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

They look good to me, but I'm definitely not an expert.

In my experience, the first few weeks are the slowest. Once the seed pops, it has a few days of stored energy that it can used to really jump at first, but once that storage runs out it seems to slow down for a bit, until the roots and true leaves have a chance to start chumming out some sugars.

That's about how my seedlings looked on my grow at about the same time. :pipesmoke:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825949 - 05/19/17 12:14 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Growth is proportional to how much light the plant can absorb. Things start out slow at first but as the leaves start coming in they start to absorb more light.

That might need some nutrients. Coco is hard to start in. I usually mix it with some sort of peat based mix 50/50. The purpling of the leaves makes it look like its becoming deficient.

When starting clones in coco I usually give a full strength feeding from the start. Coco has next to nothing in it.

With coco you want to water to about 10-25% runoff, watering when the container uses about half the available water. Adjust container size to water every few days. In flower it might go up to one or two times a day.

Hows the temperature?

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleMacky
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: First grow (moved) [Re: phychotron]
    #825954 - 05/19/17 04:02 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for your input and quick responses guys, was getting worried for a minute :smile:

With the feeding it might explain why the tomato has taken off, (started a few tomatoes and chilis off for my garden) I started them in a compost mix and thought id whack a tomato in the coco and see what happened, guesing its using the feed from the small pot it was in?

OK so ill let them dry out, water with 10-25% runoff and then on the next water give them a feed and see how they do. Unless you think to go straight for a feed?

Tempreature is 28C at the top of the tent where the filter is and give or take about 30-32C in the light where theyre sitting.

Thanks again for the input.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825964 - 05/19/17 11:12 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Well with a plant that small its tough getting the watering just right. If you fully saturate it at first it will be a long time before it needs anything. That plant is so small it has close to no-requirements for water and most is being lost to the environment through evaporation.

I would do a quarter/half-strength feed (just to run off) then let it sit for a few days and watch it respond. That should charge the coco with some nutrients for the plant to grow into.

Feeding with plain water messes with the coco's buffer and nutrient uptake. Feeding to runoff will flush out old nutrients and waste that the plant gives off. Your plant is so young and in fresh coco so runoff is not as important at the moment, but nutrients are.

Your temperatures are a bit warm. Have you considered opening the windows during the day?

Humidity plays a huge factor in how fast they can grow as well.

http://www.just4growers.com/stream/temperature-humidity-and-c02/vapor-pressure-deficit-the-hidden-force-on-your-plants.aspx

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleMacky
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#825970 - 05/19/17 06:04 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, that makes a hell of a lot of sense. Ill give them 1/4-1/2 strength fill and see how they do. Since I have tried to up the humidity they seem to have taken to it a bit.

Ive been struggling with temperature since I started out, its driving me crazy. I cant open a window in the room because its like the monolith from 2001 a space odyssey poking out at passers by. Ive had to resort to opening all other windows in different rooms to try and get some cooler fresh air exchange in there.

Thanks for the link, will have a good read at work tomorrow.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow (moved) [Re: Macky] * 1
    #825972 - 05/20/17 04:37 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Run the lights at night when its cooler.

--------------------

InvisibleMacky
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#826053 - 05/25/17 08:53 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

So onto week 2.

Gave a feed 4 or 5 days ago, think I'll give them another one today. I used 1.5ml per 2l that's 3ml of coco a+b combined, maybe I'll cut it down to 2ml total this time round.

They're looking better than they were last week but still some issues I need to get sorted.

The second one I burnt because I had the light too close, moved it further away and it was ok.

Still think they're being slow and can't help feeling they're a bit stunted, it's been really hot this week and temps have rocketed, no nice cool breezes to take advantage of, temps reaching 34C sometimes in the tent. Upgraded to a nice big fan in there now which is managing to cool the area a tad. (Sorry didn't reply to your last message phycotron, can't run them at night it's driving my wife mad, sleep is more important to her apparently  :shrug: )

I have no ph meter and I'm starting to suspect that the water needs more acidity, that's the next thing on my list to get. Also think I'll get some kelp extract or silica.

Is it worth downsizing to a 250w hps with a CFL alongside it? Wondering if the 600 hps is too much and there's only 2 of them growing.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #826054 - 05/25/17 09:30 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Don't add the total amount of A and B used. Use the same amounts of Part A as you do B and just write down the one. Its full strength at 4ml/gallon (~4L)

You fed 3ml/gallon, or 3/4 strength. Which might not be that bad but don't overdo it at first.  Especially in the heat you can really mess things up. Water uptake changes, as does evaporation from the surface.

You definitely need some pH adjust. General Hydro sells the standard up/down 'kit' that comes with the pH liquid test drop. I stopped buying meters cause they are very sensitive and have a relatively short life. Just get the test liquid yellow and its good.

--------------------

InvisibleMacky
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#826100 - 05/28/17 02:15 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the heads up, gave them 1ml/gal and they're loosing colour, can really see they're not growing as they should be, look like little stumps. Buying kit today, will try get the right ph balance and will give another feed, see how they react.

InvisibleMacky
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#826102 - 05/28/17 05:28 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Found ph was between 7.5 and 8. 1ml/gal of ph down I bought does the trick.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #826106 - 05/28/17 10:44 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

That's not so bad but things like iron become unavailable above 8. 

I have a hard time getting things to start in fresh coco, its tricky getting the feed down properly when they're that young. Heat stress might also slow the thing down a bit.

Next time you start a seed try using some "seed starting mix" which is peat moss and a little bit of lime to stabilize the pH. Cut that 50% with coco and it will take care of the seedlings when they're at that phase. ONLY do it with a small pot worth so that you can benefit from using all coco when you transplant.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: First grow [Re: Macky]
    #826153 - 05/30/17 05:17 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Good luck on your grow.

:popcorn:

InvisibleMacky
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: First grow [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #826186 - 06/01/17 11:16 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Cheers THC I think I'm going to need it

Thanks for the info again phyco, definitley going to start in smaller pots next time, will give that mix a whirl too.

So week 3 been and gone, not really done anything since my last post, been working my ass off. Will give another water I think on Saturday one is picking up and the other is stumpy.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow [Re: Macky]
    #826198 - 06/01/17 07:19 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

The seed starting mix is complete garbage by itself. I filled pots up loosely with it, filled the top with water, and the next day its still all pooled up on the top and dry just below the surface. It works so bad by itself I can't understand why they call it a seed starting mix.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First grow [Re: phychotron]
    #826201 - 06/01/17 11:01 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Well thats what surfactants are for :wink: most peat based mixes. 

Seed start soils im general yes are a rip off. They are designed to be very fine which causes poor drainage. Low fert ph balanced and perhaps polymers to stay wet. They are designed more for plug trays then pots. As low nutrient levels want to transplant to better mix once have roots.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals