Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Day Build: LED grow cube
    #824904 - 03/19/17 04:28 AM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Woke up with a fit of rage and a need for a little flower chamber. I was looking at 2x2x4' grow tents for about 40 on ebay and that seemed kinda nice, but I have a bunch of panda film left over from the last garden I tore down prematurely. SO I decided to build a small frame and line the walls with panda film.

Basically I just need something to sex plants and for maybe a small seed operation. I was hoping to get some SOG, short plants in there. Its called the Grow Cube because I expect to have a 2x2x2' canopy area with all the equipment, pots, etc.

The actual container I built was with some 2x2" that come in 8' lengths. So I cut two in half, two into quarters and built the basic frame. Some 1x3" for side supports and slats. The actual dimensions of the entire cabinet is 27x27x48" but the inner grow area is 24x27x48 based on its construction.

I put some computer exhaust fans on the top blowing out and one at the bottom blowing in. I used a light switch box to house the power drivers for it. I thought I had 120mm fans but one of them was 140mm, so I had to mount the 120mm's sideways at the top to make the gap. Cardboard was put in place around as a seal. 

I used panda film on the sides and planned on using cardboard to protect the thin plastic. I have the one piece on a side and around the fans but don't have a bunch of large cardboard boxes laying around to finish it off. I'll secure the other side and back as time goes on.

I had to light proof the exhaust port by overlapping layers of panda film with a cardboard slat to form an S type junction. Still working on light proofing the lower exhaust.

I need some sort of cardboard piece for the door. I was thinking of lining it with panda then velcroing it to the front. Or maybe get a piece of plywood on hinges. I aimed to keep this light, so the cardboard might be the way to go.

I also scored the yesterday when I took apart a projector TV at the dumpster for parts and grabbed some castor rollers. I threw those on too.

I built up a little shelf for the plants to sit on. I think a small res tank with an ebb and flow system might be in order. 

Total cost was less than $15 for the lumber. I got a discount on the plywood which was normally $8 but the guy cutting it told me to tell the lady at the counter to do 70% off. The 2x2's and 1x3's were both under $2 per 8' and I had all the screws and small stuff laying around. The fan drivers are cheap as well as the fans. $2-3 per driver, same for each fan. Some fans were just extras sitting around.

And what better than to put my two custom built LED's in there to try it out? Its a total of 100w, but I'm getting another ~30w of red diodes coming to upgrade one of the lights.

I was hoping to maybe work on getting these lights hard mounted and then getting some side lighting built in as well. Since I'm already building LED's might as well build some sweet side lighting to go with it.

I also just got a bunch of free samples of Elete Nutrients from the hydro store I'll probably be trying out. I'll post a grow log of that in the future when I get the rest of the thing finished. I need cardboard and a front door and it's ready to go.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: phychotron]
    #824905 - 03/19/17 04:31 AM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Also forgot to add that the circulation fans are built into the grow lights They blow downward on the lights and through the spaces between the rails to circulate the air. Sort of a dual purpose with the lights. When I do side lighting I'll make sure to have that as a feature as well.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #824966 - 03/22/17 09:56 AM (7 years, 8 days ago)

I like your Grow Cube. Catchy name too :yesnod:

So that panda film is like space blankets right?

And that 100 watt LED u built that too?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: TrueHerbCrystal] * 1
    #824971 - 03/22/17 11:47 AM (7 years, 8 days ago)

Thanks. Panda film is black/white poly that reflects 90-95% of light. I was about to buy a piece of space blanket for the front door so that It would have a window but I didn't want to have to build a light block for that if it needed it.

I put a door on it the next day but never got around to posting it. I also ordered some more diodes, aluminum, fans and power drivers for some side lighting. it'll take about another month or two to get the rest of the parts but it should be pretty decked out by the time I'm all done with it.

I decided on a top feed recirculating system and got a small tub to collect the run off. I had to cut the small white trays to drain over the lid with holes in it. The lid is like a perfect funnel.

I found the pallet liners the next day when i went to the hydro store to check out trays. The cardboard liners were free out of the cardboard bin and make it look nice and clean.

Got the water system somewhat in place. I still need to decide the exact configuration for feeding.

Cardboard and panda film loosely taped over the vent to stop the light at the input fan. I still have a light leak at the base from the plywood  and a little around some of the cardboard but I'm working on that next.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824972 - 03/22/17 12:28 PM (7 years, 8 days ago)

https://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/821642

That's the info on the one light. I'll be adding the diodes to that one.  The side lights are different diodes, just cheap 1w diodes. Should be around 100-120w of side light. The 100w on top will be upgraded to around 130w.

Lumber and building materials were less than $20, lights and other stuff around $180. I'd say a total cost around $225 when you factor in all the small stuff I didn't count like the roll of duct tape I nearly burned trough, or the screws I already had laying around.

Home depot sells a mylar-bubble-wrap for insulating. They had a 4x10'piece for $10. it'd be a good alternative to panda film if I didn't have any. However most hydro stores sell panda for ~$1/foot for a 10' wide section if I wanted to save $6. I'm not sure it'd be worth spending the extra cash, but the stuff is thicker and more rigid, less bowing or no need for cardboard reinforcement. Sourcing cardboard can be tough so it might be easier to get that stuff next time.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#824974 - 03/22/17 02:58 PM (7 years, 8 days ago)

Wait, 3D lighting?!

:whattefuck2:

Thats dope as fuck :awehigh:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #825004 - 03/23/17 09:04 PM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Got the diodes and drivers for the light on the top on the same day so I put them into work. Got it so that the white is always on with the fans, then blue and red on switches.

Can't wait for the side lighting to come in now.

White, white/blue, white/red, white/blue/red

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#825057 - 03/26/17 01:33 AM (7 years, 4 days ago)

Very cool.

Im glad u are using white ones.

All the store ones have only red and blue ones which seems odd since no other light is so limited in color. Seems bad for plants to just have two colors IMO.

Cool stuff. How hot do those white LEDs get?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825059 - 03/26/17 03:22 AM (7 years, 4 days ago)

The cree get warm without cooling fans but the aluminum is cool the the touch when the fans are running. I might need to cut down the fans to just one cause it doesn't seem like its warm enough in there. I haven't check the temperatures when sealed but it wasn't warm feeling at all when I opened it.  The other light also stays cool to the touch because of the fan.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825662 - 04/30/17 06:02 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Got the last of the parts for the side lighting. Should be hooking it up within the day or so. I might need to get more fan drivers or find the one's I already have.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#825718 - 05/03/17 05:35 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Because its more efficient to target photosynthetic active radiation. The way whites work is absorb alot of light after using larger range of led colors so appears white. So it wastes alot of energy. Infact its whole basis of led being more efficient becuase energy is only used to creat photons used by the plant :smile:  google white led grow. And PAR led grow

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: Theman] * 2
    #825720 - 05/03/17 10:36 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Google white LED's... lol, you must be new to the boards. :lol:

Ya, they use phosphors to make white, loosing some PPF & PPFD... But one less-efficient step in a large system doesn't make the entire thing completely useless. :wink:

The reason for white is to not have to buy a bunch of smaller micro bands of light that white is suppose to target. When your building the cheapest possible grow light spending the extra cash on all these smaller bands of light is not feasible.

There are a multitude of reasons why you would want to include white in your build that I wont go into at the moment, goog's should help you out if you need.

The premise behind LED lights is to provided the best possible light source for the plant, not just have the lowest ppd/ppfd ratings.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#825741 - 05/04/17 12:24 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Exactlty.

White leds are the cheapest therefore ideal for this application.

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#825761 - 05/05/17 07:59 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Well each there own. But led are to be highly efficient using energy therfore heat aswell.  When u have whites no matter what type they create more heat and use alot of energy not used by the plant. Anyone who says otherwise is selling tge led panel :wink:  get 400wats but then 200w is only used in par well u might aswell be using hps.

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: Theman]
    #825762 - 05/05/17 08:27 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quick info. http://www.ledgrowlightshq.co.uk/white-leds/

Whites are more expensive???

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825763 - 05/05/17 09:06 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Basically your saying the PPFD and PPF ratings on the fixture are completely ruined because of one internally less-efficient component. That's false.

I understand why you'd get this wrong, its takes a lot of understanding to design an LED fixture properly. Its a combination of individual parts cost, total cost, operating cost, diode selection and availability, application, diode spacing and density, lenses, drivers, dimming options, etc.

One thing your probably not factoring in is that the market is geared toward white LED's and therefore the technology is further researched and developed than just monochromatic diodes.

It sounds like you have a long way to go before you understand efficacy of LED lighting.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825764 - 05/05/17 09:10 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:

White leds are the cheapest

Quote:

Theman said:

Whites are more expensive???

Seriously?

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: phychotron] * 1
    #825802 - 05/07/17 03:27 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Got some work done over the past few days. Built the frames and had the fans mounted a few days ago, then the wiring harness. Today I finished the actual fixtures but still need to mount them better.

The frames were easy going this time as its becoming more natural to work with the drill and aluminum. I could have thought it out a little better for consistency but its all together much better than the last two. Its even set up to be able to take a third bar in the center.

I added two switches for the side lighting and didn't want to add more plugs for all the stuff. I used 3 screw together connectors that are in strips of 10 and you can cut away as many as you need. Pain in the ass getting it up but it shouldn't be an issue later. I tried cutting as much cost as I could in the building of the wiring harness.

I'm running all the fans off one DS100 fan driver. It keeps them slow but thats nice cause I don't want a bunch of wind burn on the plants. I'll check the temperature later to see if I need to bump up the current.

The diodes were all taped on. Most worked from the start but 3 of the 8 circuits had faulty diodes. One also had one backwards on accident. Taping was a bitch cause I cut the squares to 9 parts each to save the double sided heat sink tape.

Testing the sides out

Gonna put some bungee cords or something across the front to keep them held against the walls. The screws are kept long on the cooling fan to allow room for air flow. I might get shorter one's and remove the 1/2" gap between the heat sink and the fans.

--------------------

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

#825818 - 05/07/17 04:46 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

BADASS! Bro, I can't wait to see how bushy the plants get in this thing.
Awesome job man!
Just finished first month gettin settled into new spot, should be building on mine when I get a weekend free... Very excited
Cheers

Edited by ashfiken (05/07/17 04:47 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: ashfiken]
    #825819 - 05/07/17 07:21 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, I cant wait to see what she can do as well. The plants with just the top lighting seem to be doing amazing for inter-nodal spacing and overall bushiness.

I'm gonna try and get something in there ASAP.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#825824 - 05/07/17 09:51 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

https://www.blackdogled.com/faq-about-leds

More reading

Also not sure what ur quoting was all about?? Srsly?? Lol  whites are more expensive then red or blues? Main reason is there is no white led only with a coatinf which would make them more expensive. Or multi led in 1 which of course is harder to manufacter and why they are more.. just logically but can look at price lists aswell..

Edited by Theman (05/07/17 10:01 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825825 - 05/07/17 11:32 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Please don't just post a link to marketing material and expect me to understand what your trying to point out. The material is basic and not very informative. Quote something specific if your going to post a link. I'm glad your reading though, that's good.  I'm confident that you'll eventually get to something a bit more scientific in the future.

I'm done arguing with you.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825826 - 05/08/17 01:16 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

The new addition is 125watts of side lighting, for a total of 250w of LED total. I contemplated not putting the creebay back in when I adjusted the top lighting but left it for this first run.

She aint pretty but she's got some plants that I just transplanted just for her. She's got 5 in there right now, I'll probably start a grow log in the next few days if I can get around to it.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#825829 - 05/09/17 11:55 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Damn dude thats wild!

Im surprize u dont need that much LEDs. Interesting :strokebeard:

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#825831 - 05/09/17 10:27 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Well explains how white led work and why umderstanding how led work and manufsctured its inherantly worse to have white. Its science!! And previous explaims why intruduction of green at best doesnt do much and at worse slows growth. Anyway ignore science as usual :wink:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825832 - 05/10/17 12:20 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:
Damn dude thats wild!

Im surprize u dont need that much LEDs. Interesting :strokebeard:

Ya I realize that this thing is bright as heck and when i realized its running 250 watts I got a little concerned. I have dimmable drivers on the top led but went cheap on the non-dimmable drivers this time. The cheap dimmable drivers are kinda junky and then you need a dimmer too. I didn't even hook it up to the top light because it didn't seem worth it. The switches will have to be my solution.

I transplanted some small plants and started the flower cycle. Keep an eye out for the grow log in the future. I'm trying to find a spare smart phone to do a time lapse.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#825868 - 05/12/17 11:49 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Time lapse would be cool. Hell ya.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825975 - 05/20/17 01:48 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Haven't found the time to start that grow log, maybe I'll just keep it updated here as this flower cycle progress. I'm going to be gone for the last 2 or 3 weeks of flower so I can't start a proper grow log anyway.

some spot bleaching where the diodes make contact.  These were from about a week ago.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825976 - 05/20/17 02:10 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

There was a day where they became noticeably bushier. I threw a few into flower right after I transplanted so I think maybe its when the root zone picked up.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#825993 - 05/21/17 07:38 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Really growing now!

Im surprized the LEDs burn the leaves like that...

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825997 - 05/22/17 02:14 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

They aren't hot to the touch, but if you left your hand there all day you'd have some damage.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #826172 - 05/31/17 10:46 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Some updated photos

So far so good. Some singed hairs after that last heat wave but they're starting to grow back.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #826335 - 06/11/17 10:51 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#826352 - 06/11/17 10:48 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Damn, dense! I like it# LED cube FTW.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #826532 - 06/18/17 11:29 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Last photo for awhile, gonna have someone else tend to it for a while. I'll try and get some photos when they're done in three weeks, if they're still alive when I get back.

Getting pretty dense on that front plant. It was in the best condition going in and it shows. The pineapple express is some of the dankest looking nuggets I've seen. If I wasn't in a hurry to leave I'd get some nice macro shots. They don't show their beauty with this tablet.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#826538 - 06/19/17 11:50 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Nice totems as bodhi would put it whole branch looks like will fill out..

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: Theman] * 1
    #827117 - 07/07/17 02:13 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Got an update after being away for over 2 weeks. I had my mom maintain them while I was gone.

They thing has potential but I can tell they buds are not as full as I had hoped. More light needed, but the cheap diodes are so inefficient that I don't know if its worth it to upgrade. I'll get some better photos when I actually harvest. Not sure when but sometime soon.  Also the plants were not in prime condition when going into flower and the one's that were healthier are showing it.

--------------------

Edited by phychotron (07/07/17 02:14 PM)

Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

#827126 - 07/07/17 03:50 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Looking pretty good man. They look better than my try with the 3 watt diodes, you should check out cob leds (cree,citizen,vero,luminus) . Cree are over priced for there output I have 4 cree cxb3590 72v top bin chips and I'm not impressed.
:gethigh:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: funky]
    #827127 - 07/07/17 04:10 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I'm interested in cobs for a larger setup, but with something that has height restrictions the lower watt diodes are more compatible.

--------------------

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

#827159 - 07/08/17 08:07 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Great notes/points both you guys. I know height is a concern but I'd just run the bigger diodes a lil farther away. I think these 3watters are awesome for side/under canopy light/ bars which is why I've been intrigued on this thread so much..
Funky: how do you feel your cob setup does for lower/beyond canopy growth? Do you lollipop? I think the application of bars similar to psychotrons,in a fashion, such as the grow cube, have already began to be marketed and are pretty cool. Canvassing the plant with light from multiple angles seems great to me and only really possible with the advent of LED units. The sun moves and hits all parts of the plant thru out the day. Our spectrum is bettered with the cobs(a step closer to sun) and I think we'd do well to try to function like the sun also, or atleast provide coverage (modularly/ maybe moving) akin to the sun as it moves hits all regions of plant tissue..

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827167 - 07/08/17 09:15 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Outside there is also a lot of diffused light from all directions. The sky is blue because its reflecting light. Hard shadows from a single point light are not natural.

I'm interested in the strip lights now, as they're already wired and easy to work with. Some look promising. They run  cool and you can probably spread them out a bit better with more of them.

--------------------

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

#827169 - 07/08/17 09:25 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Agreed but iVe also seen pics of plants in Cali standing alone and as big as trees outside getting very direct strong sunlight for days on end and not missing a beat except needing a drink. I get the air/atmosphere/clouds diffuse sunlight to an extent... But again these lights are not the sun and nowhere near as powerful.. So it may not be completely natural per se. But is it beneficial in the end, only years of trial would tell one this..

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

#827170 - 07/08/17 09:26 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Btw those look cool but I yearn for the high wattage of the cob over canopy, I'd use the shit outta those as supp/side lighting.

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827172 - 07/08/17 09:55 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

For sure the direct sun is the primary light source. A good strong overhead light seems necessary.

Traditionally the problem with side lighting has been proximity and uniformity. If you have to keep your side lights a foot away then you are wasting floor space that could be filled with plants. In theory these could be suspended between plants if you wanted to 'wrap' the plants with individual side lighting.

--------------------

Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

#827173 - 07/08/17 09:58 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Hey phychotron check these strip out here
I don't lollipop just a little deflation nothing extreme.  My plants are about 3 feet tall and I get very little popcorn at the bottom I'm running about 70k lux at the canopy multiply by .015 (par multiplier for cob leds) =1050 par . I'm getting about 45k lux at lower canopy so no problems with penitration that's 6 cxm22 cobs at 310 watts at the wall.

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: funky]
    #827174 - 07/08/17 10:03 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Fucking badass, I was hoping they wouldn't depreciate (lower canopy)by 1/2 or more so that's great news , thanks mang,
And psych that's exactly what
I was thinking some sort of suspended strip/bar that would "wrap" the
Plant in light would be a
Pretty technical feat though as far as proximity, moving of plants, movement within grow space etc..

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827640 - 07/25/17 08:43 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Buds been chopped down and drying for a few days now. Not the best yield but its important to remember that a lot of these plants were in prime condition to flower. The one plant did extremely well--except it hermied as expected. I found out from its mother mid-flower.

They all smell very well, but I'm not impressed with the lights. Those cheap diodes are missing something that makes the buds fill out. I left all the under brush on them which probably didn't help, but I still think the diodes are lacking in some spectrum.

I did no work to these plants other than keep them watered.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#827646 - 07/26/17 05:03 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Its not whats missing its likely whats there ie green spectrum.. makes plant think buds are under the canopy...what do I know tho :wink: what makes led tech of any interest is targeting specific spectrums otherwise might aswell use hps. Useing less power per par therefore less heat is another advantage.

Also could be strain..or of hermied early fertilized the flowers which def knocks down swelling/stacking

Edited by Theman (07/26/17 03:31 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827664 - 07/26/17 01:00 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

The mars hydro and generic fixtures have the same problem with the buds not filling out proper. Your right that I probably need more green, as those generics tend to have just red/blue.If I add any more it will probably be some white SMD's on a roll.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#827667 - 07/26/17 03:42 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I thought u were using alot of whites? And hense already too much untargeted light ie too much green as its shown to decrease swell increase stretch because it makes the buds think they are shaded by leaves ie under canopy. Mars hydro also includes whites and likely why u heard same issue. Again by using whites ur moving away from what makes led cool ability to specifically make every watt into usable energy for the plant. If using theoretical full spectrum whites u are better off using hps.

OfflineMof
Male

#827674 - 07/27/17 01:22 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

those buds on the lower right pictures
you didn't top them?
you didn't super crop them?
didn't bend them???

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Day Build: LED grow cube [Re: Mof]
    #827676 - 07/27/17 04:23 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

A couple of them had been topped. some were just clones to keep alive while testing genetics.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827699 - 07/28/17 02:12 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Trimmed the bud. Surprisingly its denser than I thought in some of the top colas. Cherry pie was mostly larf. RF2 was also more larfy and smokes like shit if its not nugget, so most went to the trim bag. Pineapple express was denser but still low yield. RF5 did alright. The real winner was the larger plant, the Chocolate Hash Berry X Pineapple chunk, labeled Corey. It hermied but still a great aroma.

I've extrapolated the data to see how each plant is doing in terms of grams per square-meter, as well as potential if it was the only strain.

Corey shows that I could easily grow 170g.Most of the bud was of decent density. I think that if I were to get a good yielding strain with better training and skirting I could increase that to 200g or more. I need to find that SOG specific strain. At 170g/250 it would yield .7g/watt. That's not too bad.

Total electricity used was 168kw/h. using about 12 cents/kw-h it consumed $20 in electricity during flower. Nutrients were free samples, so it cost for $20 for 112g. SO 17cents per gram.

My top light was up fairly high for the low power consumption they were using. I could have lowered them down a bit to increase intensity. A PAR meter would help.

I'll work on taking some photos of the trimmed buds. So far I've smoked them all and they're a bit rough but at that point where they should be. They have a lot of potential in terms of flavor and quality with a good cure.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#827701 - 07/28/17 05:34 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

You weighed wet untrimmed bud for ur number? When people say g a watt its trimmed and bagged at that weight not wet.

Also how did u measure ur wattage as the actual will be different then what ur driver/power says for specs.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827704 - 07/28/17 11:10 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Buds been chopped down and drying for a few days now.

I use a Kill-a-watt power meter.

--------------------

OfflineMof
Male

#827719 - 07/29/17 05:36 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

All lights do is wake them up
UV kind of strengthens the plant itself and the heat allows more transpiration of water so it can suck up more nutrients
I know they'd be bigger with a bigger light, but that's because it enables you to grow them much taller
If you grow them the same height as what they were when they had the original light then obviously they won't get much more buds.
I think that's the main reason.

If I had a spare closet somewhere i'd use a 300watt instead of a 125 and grow out two full grown plants, but instead I'm growing these short guys like you and just getting the yeild from the extra branches (which honestly isn't that great when I grow just one I notice the lower buds are much bigger... so your light might have helped you out somewhere)

Edited by Mof (07/29/17 05:37 AM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827722 - 07/29/17 11:26 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Surprisingly the Corey strain did better in the grow cube in a 1L pot (42grams) than it did in the main flower room, trained, neglected and scrogged (35g) in a 5 gallon pot with  1000w.

--------------------

OfflineMof
Male

#827724 - 07/29/17 03:55 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I'll have to try that out sometime

the air pot I ordered was clearly meant for a tree:salute:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827725 - 07/29/17 05:57 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Airpots were designed for tree's to prevent them from becoming root bound before transplant.

By far the best pots out there. The 1L airpot is the most valuable for transplants. It preps them to take right off into the new medium and lets them grow faster and larger than regular pots. The larger one's are good but the small one's offer the most benefits over traditional pots. I got from the 1L to the 5 gallon pot with no step up in between. The new growth is so fast that it's pointless to use anything in between.

I knew that by using those they'd have the best chances.

--------------------

Edited by phychotron (07/29/17 06:01 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #827741 - 07/31/17 10:07 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Some photos

Cherry Pie

Pineapple Express

RF2

RF5

Corey

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order