Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog.
    #823578 - 02/10/17 09:46 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

After a year long struggle to get a garden set up outside my apartment I decided to finally get it up and running on a limited scale. Basically the guy I was growing with is moving and we had to break it down and I got all the plants we were going to flower. I wanted to get rid of them but decided to just keep them and flower them out.

The setup:
750w LED consisting of a DS400 and the light board from a DS400 that was defective and I got up and running again with 50 less watts. I plan to get another 1-200 watts using one or two DS100's off to the side. I'll get those two out of storage this weekend and up sometime next week. 

Closet grow with two 2x4' trays. I built a custom frame to put them on so that I could hook up the plumbing to a drain bucket.  I also lined the walls and doors with panda film. 

Chemdog in 5 gallon airpots of Canna coco coir. I want to use smaller pots but these were already in the big pots for a larger area. Chemdog gets pretty tall, the last time it was all up in the lights before I was able to get to it. I've been planning on it and have been pinching them back daily.  I popped the seed last grow and this is the first generation clone. Greenhouse seeds, ordered in 2012, germinated late 2016.

This was a short veg period, we were going to let them go another month before flowering but I had to just throw them right in so they won't overgrow my closet. I'll get some close ups of the damage I've done to the stems, but they're getting so strong now that I can't pinch them with my fingers at some points.

Day before they went into flower.

I've got a water setup using standard irrigation hose. I've used PVC pipes on the ends with a T in the center. Basically square 8 with the input at the top. So far so good but I may put the input to the very center to even out distribution. I've also propped it up in the center. Its 1/2" superflex hose with two 1/4" tube feed hose. I would prefer 3 or 4 for that pot size but don't want to butcher my hose up, as next grow I'll be using different sized pots with different spacing requirements.

Nutrients are a wide range of products. I've added a new silica (europonic) and ca/mg (Earth Juice). Canna Coco A/B, Cannazym and/or Big Time Enzyme, Canna PK when needed, MBFerts Boost and Verde(veg only, foliar). I haven't mixed nutrients in awhile and the first tank I mixed I used my old formula of 1ml/gal of pH- and dropped my pH down to 3.5. Out of the 15 gallons I had to dump 5 gallons and replace with plain water, then again just to bring the pH up to 5.5. I don't have any pH+. The plants love it though.

I have my EVC-2 controlling my fan/filter. set to 83F or 55% humidity. I had to set the fan speed up today as it was around 88 with the closet door closed. Still working on ventilation. I'm going to have my ozone generator work on a cycle time so that when the fan is on it cycles on and off. The timer I ordered does 1-20s on, 1-20s off. I'll see how that goes with the 25' of ducting at the top of the closet. on one side of the closet I have a wooden support system to hold the ducting in place and be able to slide the doors open or closed if needed, to appear 'normal' when visitors are over.

Day 10 of Flower.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: phychotron]
    #823773 - 02/15/17 09:45 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Tragedy strikes. As I was adding a cross member to support the DS100 I dropped the 2x4 and it landed end down I the center of one of the plants. It miyagi'd my plant to the point I think I'll loose at least 3 of the 4 main branches. One of them was also completely severed and quickly started to wilt. I was quick and tied it up real tight to try and get the branches to mend together but sometimes there's nothing you can do.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: phychotron]
    #823775 - 02/15/17 10:25 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

An equipment showcase. I have the ducting in the S shape waiting for the ozone generator to timer to get working. I received it in the mail but can't get voltage out of it. Maybe its wired wrong, maybe its a piece of shit. I'm waiting for the seller to get back to me. I can smell the plants outside the house. Not just your standard cannabis smoke smell; its that sweet sweet plant dankness. It needs to get going soon.

stuck the cross member between the fan and air filter. The air filter is not in the right spot, it needs to be on the input with a fan on it. No input yet, no extra fan to spare or place to put it. Its fairly large. Custom built the box to house 16x20" furnace filters. I might add a carbon to that end if the doesn't work out the way I hope.

output. So far I just close the sliding door to the edge of the vent and let the panda film inside wrap around and sorta seal the door. Some light leaks but its in a dark corner of the house and seems negligible. I've been slowly patching them as the days goes on and have a few small areas to work on.

The cross members and joints of the 2x4's are all done with metal brackets. About 50 cents each I had a few laying around from the past few gardens, as well as the lumber. They're invaluable. Should be easy to dismantle and leave a minimal amount of damage.

An equipment nightmare, slowly working on sorting it all out.

Nutrient tank epicenter. 18 gallon rubbermaid roughneck on 2x4 frame I built with castor rollers for easy access. The 5 gallon bucket is the drain. Every couple of days I run the hose to the sink and empty the waste. Ignore that mess on the desk. Its a construction site nightmare.

Two pumps. The larger pump T's to the feed line with its valve open full blast. The other side of the T has its valve cracked as an anti-siphon, otherwise the nutrient tank would empty itself after the pump turned off. That feeds the plants twice a day. Once on lights on and about 8 hours later for 30-60seconds. The second pump has a T with an S shape. This comes on 2x a day to mix the nutrient take for 15 minutes. When I'm mixing up nutrients I turn that pump on to stir. I could also fiddle with the valves on the other pump and have an extra effect but I don't want to mess with them cause they're set proper and I might forget to turn it back later.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #823855 - 02/17/17 05:01 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Tested some things with the Kill-A-Watt meter.

Lights: 945 watts (12 hours a day)
Box fan: 50w (24/7)
Small fan: 31w (24/7)
double fan: 62w (24/7)
exhaust fan: 180-210w (24/7)
feed pump: 19w when running, 1.2w for the controller 24/7
re-circulation pump: 24w 2x a day for 15 minutes.
Dehumidifier: 61/68/390w when low/high/compresser on(high) I'll determine how much it uses in a 24 hour period and average it.

I'll get some calculations up later to factor in electricity costs.

--------------------

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#823857 - 02/17/17 05:28 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Sweet grow man !! Ill be watching :jackiechanofapproval:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #823937 - 02/20/17 01:07 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

The spigot I added to my water heater inlet. Its much easier to turn a valve than to plug a pump in to a bucket and run a hose to the bathroom. Here I can just leave the hose and pull it out when needed.

Day 20 first flush. Started PK today.

Things are getting bushy.

The fan controller I added to keep the speed down at night is kind of a pain in the ass because it goes up and down so often that I hear it hum and silence every 3 seconds as it just barely pushes the fan a little bit faster. It needs to just be at a constant high or low depending on day period. Odd they don't make one, least not one's you can control the speed independently. I'll be building my own day/night speed controller. I'll keep that posted when the parts arrive.

--------------------

Edited by phychotron (02/20/17 01:15 AM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824093 - 02/24/17 05:09 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Excess heat is causing some issues. I turned the temp down to 77 to compensate. The lights are too close so I raised them up as much I could. There's not much I can do about it without drilling new holes in the ceiling for hooks and sprinkling all my plants with drywall dust. Pinching them back was a bit strange too, as they were softer stems and didn't really snap. I was using my fingernails to do damage to slow the stretch but accidentally topped a nice cola so I stopped.

Red hairs prematurely and tacoing. Flushed and started adding PK this week, but then last night the feed pump controller was on randomly because I accidentally unplugged it and plugged it back in a second later, I should have waited a few minutes for the electronics to reset. I manually fed them because the pots were getting dry. I also added a little fog/mister to help keep the humidity up a bit more, as the temps were a bit high when the humidity was in the 40% range. Its plugged into the light timer to run in the day.

PPM going in was 800, runoff around 300. I filled the tank again but reduced the amount of base nutrients and didn't add ca/mg or silica.

Dehumidifier was running constantly at first, pulling 2-3 reservoirs full a day but now the weather's cleared up and the apartment is a bit drier its not nearly as active. I also set the humidity up to 70% on it and will adjust it down as I see fit. Been opening the windows a bit to help relieve the heat and humidity from the apartment as it builds up as well.

Tanks scum, apparently I need to wash it every 2-3 tanks.

--------------------

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#824107 - 02/24/17 08:08 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Dam I hate heat prob. Thats y I only grow indoor in the winter and outdoor in the summer.  Good luck man hope you get it dialed in!

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #824115 - 02/25/17 10:26 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Looks like a hermie flower. Not sure why ur making efforts to both raise and lower humidity. Running a mister and dehumidifier seems a little silly i guess new toys u want to use lol.
Trusted cultivator hehe

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: Theman]
    #824122 - 02/25/17 11:12 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

The temperatures/humidity is going up and down so I'm trying to stabilize a minimum amount of humidity. I think it might have been the curtain in front of the closet that sorta dropped down in front of the main vent and it was recycling air. It was 89 and 40% humidity when I checked yesterday.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824158 - 02/26/17 02:35 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

So the mister ends up doing too much work and I disconnected it. So far so good today, getting the doors/curtain set up to not recycle the air helps a lot. Temperature is 79F and 62% humidity.

SO what gives with this tacoing leaves and premature red hairs?  pH issue. Turns out the meter is complete shit, reading 6.4 when the drops read 4-5. It all makes sense now, leaf curling is a symptom of pH problems. I probably read that a long time ago but never had the problems so I for about it. Then this morning I randomly woke up thinking "I need to check my pH" and before I even smoked a bowl figured out I'm way too acidic. So now its time to flush again and adjust the nutrient tank. Got some pH+ to solve the problem.

My last house took 1ml/gal of pH-, but this new place is much less than that. going from 150-200ppm tap water to 50-80 seems to make the difference.

--------------------

Offlineweezy420
Stranger

#824178 - 02/27/17 11:42 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

:goodluck: :cookiemonster:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: weezy420]
    #824180 - 02/27/17 04:23 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

The nutrients were definitely bad. I have a small pot with a few various plants inside, including an onion that died since pouring the rest of the last rest tank near it. The acidity killed the roots.

It will take a few more days till they start to recover but I have high hopes. They're already starting to feel like normal again in the stalks. They're firm again.

It rained today... at least I made it rain. Bought a new sprayer for foliar stuff and tested it out by giving the plants a light shower. I noticed some debris on some of the leaves from when I was moving stuff around on the top shelf and wanted to get it off the leaves for awhile now. The thing was a little wonkey at first but once I figured out to adjust both the tip and the pressure it works pretty good. $10 for a 1 gallon sprayer with a wand. These things are essential if you ever have to do any spraying for bugs, which I had just done today in the veg tent. Those hand spray bottle suck. Plus you kinda need the wand to get in the mix of things. I always start with the underside of the leaves on a few plants before moving to the tops, as they're usually soaked from the over-spray.

Sprayed the veg tent with montereys garden spray to control thrips. Got some black flies around the house, either thrips or fungus gnats or both. I sprayed the flower room down a few days ago but forgot to get to the veg tent till today. I'll be watching and keeping an eye on things and spraying again in a few days. I'll probably end up having to buy some more of the stuff because my bottle is getting kinda old and I want to make sure its still the best it can be.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824204 - 02/27/17 11:51 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Did a bit more skirting to clean up the lower branches and allow for airflow and prevent any overcrowding. Mostly just removed the crispy dead leaves but a few of the smallest branches got taken out as well.

I already noticed some recovered growth with the hairs growing out white and healthy looking at the base and pushing the red tips out. Its impossible to tell in the photo though.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#824205 - 02/28/17 01:38 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

I dunno man u sure those arent hermi? Really look like hernie flowers starting. Cant truly see alot from photos but compare to this....

http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/growweedeasy.com/files/hermie-plant-pollen-sacs-pistils.jpg

Offlinetvbfe
Male

Loc: Flag
    #824211 - 02/28/17 09:09 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Glad to here they are on the road to recovery.

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

#824219 - 02/28/17 11:20 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Nice setup! I agree with theman though- those don't look right. Especially this one 

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: Scribbler]
    #824281 - 03/01/17 11:02 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

I'm pretty sure it'll be fine once it starts to get fed properly. The guy I was growing with had this problem last time at first and the plants recovered. We shall see though.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#824308 - 03/01/17 09:16 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Ahh the leaves will be fine but the hermie flowers wont be ok :wink: anyway will know in a week or so.

Good luck!

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: Theman]
    #824315 - 03/02/17 01:02 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

:whathesaid: good luck!

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: Scribbler]
    #824381 - 03/03/17 06:30 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Got a water filter for the feed line. There's a bunch of stuff that starts to build up in the tank that could potentially clog, like slime that gets so thick it breaks a big chunk off.

The filter was like $10 and the adapter and riser was like $4-5. The filter came with either male/male or male/female, and the riser (black) adapted the 3/4" threads to the 1/2"threads that screw right into the pump. The white piece is a garden hose adapter that just goes to the T I already built. The riser is cut-to length which really helped a lot. I got a few other cut to length 1/2" PVC pieces for other projects, and they were cheaper than the set sizes. Cheaper feeling plastic, but no biggie for this sort of application.

The plants are essentially stalled but ever so slowly creeping back. The hairs on a few of the buds are starting to push out white again.

Going away for the weekend, hopefully it won't get too hot in my apartment in the day time when the lights are on. Its cool outside so I just open the door a little bit then close it at night when it starts to get chilly. The humidity goes up when that happens and I fear the dehumidifier will fill up overnight the first night cause its running a lot right now with the rain. Last week it took a few days to fill the tank 3/4 full, now its that much every day. I'll leave a window cracked open and hope that it will balance out alright.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#824388 - 03/03/17 10:00 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Going to toss out bananas any day keep an eye out!

Also that dehumidifer is what is causing that early browning if havent figured that out yet.

Cheers

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824488 - 03/07/17 11:01 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

How do you figure its the dehumidifier? Its a few feet from the closet set to 60%. The lower rH meter at the base of the plants reads a minimum of 40. If I don't run it my house is a sauna and my toilet sweats and leaks water all over the floor, all my windows do it, and I wake up in the middle of the night sweating. Plus the veg plants that got water from the nutrient tank showed similar signs.

Things are starting to recover with the nutrients set to basic. Just base nutrients and enzyme at about 1/3rd strength. Feeding it around 300-700 ppm till things pick back up. I checked the runoff and it was about 2-300ppm less than the nutrient tank. pH was back around 7-8 which means I should probably get an RO filter for this city water source. I've noticed inconsistent ppm readings from 125-200 from one week to another. It taste like shit and I wanted to get one for my own personal drinking water. I don't need to combat the tap water of the week.

Got white hairs shooting out on more buds and they are starting to slowly pick up growth. They seem a darker shade of green like they were fed too much nitrogen.

I picked up some hardware to raise the rod up and be able to move my lights up. Some of the buds are starting to show signs of light burn with some white tips starting to form. I moved the light to max and need another 2-6".

gotta defog my camera lens for photos.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#824517 - 03/08/17 04:25 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Pistils brown quickly when its very dry. Proximity to dehumidifier has nothing to do with it remember near subatrate surface will be higher humidity as water evaporates from soil. If pistils are browning fast they are either polinated or too dry for whatever reason.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824521 - 03/08/17 05:31 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Its not very dry though, its ridiculously moist all the time in this entire apartment, 50-70% around the house except for a few times when it naturally went below that. This garden was too warm and in the 40% humidity range for only a short period, not long enough to show the effect that we see. Plus it was getting worse before it got better despite having temp/humidity in range.  I've grown in lower humidity for longer without having such a severe reaction.

They've responded to changing the feed solution and getting the pH correct. It shriveled and killed my onion overnight when I poured some left over from the tank on the roots. Normal nutrient solutions don't do that to a vigorous plant that's starting to grow and come back to life.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824527 - 03/08/17 07:12 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Got the data on the dehumidifier, uses about 3-3.25 kw-h per day on average. Gonna set it to 3.5 when I do the calculations

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824533 - 03/08/17 10:01 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Light intensity is starting to bleach the tops on more and more. The leaves are pointed upward quite a bit, which is usually a sign they're trying to avoid light.  I'm going to try raising the light tomorrow.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824583 - 03/10/17 08:00 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

My electricity bill went up $19. February is a short month though. I need to do some calculations now to see how much I'm actually using. I also just plugged my XML650 in for a veg light. Its 660w on full but I have it somewhere around 1/3rd.

--------------------

Offlinetvbfe
Male

#824608 - 03/11/17 10:23 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Looks like they are coming back nicely.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: tvbfe]
    #824627 - 03/11/17 08:17 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: Data]
    #824633 - 03/12/17 08:43 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#824636 - 03/12/17 09:49 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

:awecid::bobmarley:

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: Data]
    #824637 - 03/12/17 10:37 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Finally moved the light up. Thought I was going to have to rehang the clothes-rod to hang them higher then I realized I had already solved the problem just not implemented it. Basically I had those rafters I put in to hold the lights but forgot to rehang the light. So I tapped a hole and put in an eye hook and lifted the lights up about 8 inches.

If they don't start looking good in the next two weeks I'm just going to pull them and throw it all to oil or something. You can tell some have a bit of light bleaching. Some buds are recovering nicely but others still have their hairs singed off.

For the time frame they're really behind schedule by about 2-3 weeks. Now that they've had light feedings for the past little bit I'm going to boost it up to full strength and see what happens.

Had my C.A.P VSC-DNe fan speed control break. I was using it to control the speed between night and day, it automatically increases the speed based on temperature. So I just cut it out of the loop and will adjust manually for now on. Until I get my light sensor anyway. I'm going to build a day/night independent speed control. More on that later though. That's the second piece of equipment failure so far.

My air filter at the top of the closet wasn't doing shit for the cat hair. I have cat hair on all my buds. This has got to stop, so I'm going to get another fan to put the filter on and have it input air so the closet has positive pressure enough to push out through the cracks but still mainly go through the exhaust.  Its vinyl flooring and the cat hair just gets sucked right up under the closet doors.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824638 - 03/12/17 10:43 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

To control the feed pump I just have a digital timer come on for 1 minute intervals twice a day. Once at lights on and one 6 hours later. Its about equal to what I had it on with the Sentinel BRT-1aHR that just broke but not as convenient to adjust when needed. It seems like I'll just need to go in every once in awhile and plug the pump in manually for a minute or two just to get it run off.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#824639 - 03/12/17 10:49 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Lol did u delete my post???

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824641 - 03/12/17 02:32 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

no, what post?

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824647 - 03/12/17 06:59 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Flushing again before I bump the feed up. So far the plants look like they like the light a bit higher. Some have started leveling their leaves out a little.

--------------------

Offlinetvbfe
Male

#824671 - 03/13/17 02:36 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

So I learned something. I always thought that when they reach like that they wanted more light.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: tvbfe]
    #824798 - 03/15/17 10:36 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

More learning on my end. My onion is falling apart. It started with just the one onion but now the one next to it is dying back. I flushed it a little after I fed it with the acid  but didn't do that good of a job at it cause its just the house plant container. The roots are pretty much burned off.

So that leads me to my new water system. I put in the two 1/4" feed hose but have moved it around slightly over time. I think that when I flushed I did just an alright job and it took a bit longer for the root zone to recover because its only spot flushing and the roots got burned off everywhere. The second flush seems to helped a lot.  I wanted to get a water-wand on a pump to manually flush the coco from the entire top down but never got around to it. I thought maybe I could do a good enough job with just the two small hoses but its not working.

I prefer the shower rings I custom made. They have around 9 holes of about the same size and tend to water nice and evenly. Whereas these feed lines just leave hoses everywhere and you need too many of them. I wanted to get some T's on the ends to spread the load out to 4 ports instead of two but all these little costs add up and will sneak up on you. $2-5 here and there adds up quick.

Some poor looking buds but they're starting to show some new, proper growth. The new growth doesn't look so brittle or dark green. I take it as a sign that the roots are growing back. 

Day 42, after being stalled for about 3 weeks.

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #824805 - 03/15/17 11:54 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

why are you calling it an onion?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #824806 - 03/16/17 01:31 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Not sure why growery gave this guy a trusted cultivator. Def not attracting new users when see wack shiz like this.

He is talking about an actual oniom he cant keep alive. Like cant amke this stuff up lol.

Me thinks they have him doing alot of work lol. As if cant keep a common veg alive not to menion thrive hardly is any sprt of cultivator of any kind. But what do i know
Which is fine people come her to learn but not going to attract new quality blood. 18 yo learning how to grow should never be a trusted cultivator as gives bad advice to people who.actually trust what he says which 8 out of 10 is slightly mis informed. And again this sites mantra is to do away with mis information!

Peace

Edited by Theman (03/16/17 01:38 AM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #824807 - 03/16/17 02:15 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

I had 3 onions sprouting in another container. I dumped the acidic nutrient mix on it and they're all almost dead. The first one that got the water poured right next to it was dead overnight and the two next to it are feeling the wrath and drying out.

I pulled the bulb out and the roots were all dead. Shriveled and brown.  The bulb feels like its still solid so I have high hopes for it.

It was just some random half an onion in a ziploc bag I found growing in a cooler after leaving it in there for three months. It was doing pretty good until I watered it.

I'll try and get a photo of it for reference.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #824903 - 03/19/17 03:52 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

So they're all pretty much starting to grow again. Some looking kinda ugly still. Once the damage is done there's no going back--they're scarred for life.

Temperatures are down around 76 in the daytime with the lights moved up. The exhaust fan wasn't on and I thought there was an equipment malfunction but it was just the controller doing its job. Keeping the fan on medium low seems to be doing just fine for now. I use my sliding glass door to regulate the temperature to a livable environment in my apartment.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: phychotron] * 2
    #825000 - 03/23/17 08:40 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Day 50 things are starting to look much better and the buds are filling out. Very nice white hairs on most. Most buds recovered, some didn't do as well but still are gaining mass. The lower buds are very hard and dense felling.

Gonna be flushing and harvsting in about 2-3 weeks. I planned on 9 weeks but will probably go 10 because of the problems earlier.

--------------------

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#825006 - 03/23/17 10:16 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Dang those buds look pretty nice to me ! Is that all chemdawg? whos the breeder?

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #825010 - 03/23/17 10:32 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Very nice garden!

How tall are your plants?

Did u say u had 50 plants? :eek:

Offlinetvbfe
Male

Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #825055 - 03/26/17 12:18 AM (7 years, 30 days ago)

Nice come back,they really turned around. :dancer:

InvisibleTetracan420
Baby Bloomer

#825065 - 03/26/17 06:26 AM (7 years, 30 days ago)

I use a scope I have had no problems coming up week 9 and still not ripe. Your onions look great.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: Tetracan420]
    #825071 - 03/26/17 12:25 PM (7 years, 30 days ago)

Thanks for reminding me. I kept on planning on taking the scope to the buds but always got side tracked. So far so good. Most if not all of the crystals are milky white.  It looks like its going to be ready soon so I'll start the final week of light nutrients and then week+ of plain water.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825109 - 03/28/17 09:35 PM (7 years, 27 days ago)

Some macro shots. A little bit of leaf curl, probably in response to the heavy feed I gave them. Got just a few more days left before I start to flush so I'm just gonna leave it for now. I gave them a light feed for their last 4 days so it should help.

One of the real problems I think is coming from not enough run off. I'm going to set it up to have always have about 20% runoff in the future to ensure continuous flushing. I've been reading the Cannatalk magazine and refreshing my knowledge on nutrient uptake and coco specific gardening. I'd recommend it to anyone, its some really good info without being overly advertisement based.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#825121 - 03/29/17 01:05 PM (7 years, 27 days ago)

Think see couple nanners on the second pic there. Just heads up.

Yes having run off during watering and feed is 101. Prevents dry spots or areas where salt builds up. Also insures even feed to the roots. Think of it like dropping nutes on a peat pellet will evaporate have salt build up but if soak it tottaly less build up.

Also when ur buds are bleaching u are destroying terps and making cbn out of the thc. This is not only in bleached parts but below them aswell and why u didnt notice a difference between bleached and unbleached because both have been severally degraded. If tottaly getting rid of chlorophyl the thing that feeds plants it also will ve destroying chlorphyl to a lesser extent further down the plant. Def no where near optimum if u want to up ur game and grow quality and not just a plant that survives

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#825122 - 03/29/17 01:12 PM (7 years, 27 days ago)

Again I will refer u too a pretty good website for info. Scroll down to bleached buds. Echos what I said about decreasing everything and remember it means more is damaged then what u can see!! Also alot of info on how to feed water general lighting climate control etc u may find pretty useful

http://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-light-burn

Edited by Theman (03/29/17 01:14 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825124 - 03/29/17 01:48 PM (7 years, 27 days ago)

There are a lot of things wrong with this crop. I'll post a follow up of all its shortcomings after the harvest.

I've been to that site before, it's got some good stuff on it.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825203 - 04/02/17 11:17 AM (7 years, 23 days ago)

got some natural light photos before the lights came on today. Things are looking pretty good. I'm still disappointed with the way things turned out overall but glad to see the buds are at least filling out nicely.

Flushed with zym the yesterday until the runoff was around 200ppm. It was a bit much at first, as high as 1800 when it first started coming out. Loosing that recycle timer really changed things. I usually just dialing up the feed time as needed but the 1 minute interval on the digital timer makes for way too much runoff.

I'll be flushing until the plants look like they're ready. Should be about a week or so.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825220 - 04/03/17 09:18 PM (7 years, 21 days ago)

Just got home from the store. Was out for about 2 hours and right when I hopped out of the car I caught a whiff of that sweet sweet chemdog. It was just a quick whiff, but I could smell it nonetheless. The ozone generator needs to be upped a little bit more but I'm afraid of the build up. I haven't ordered the ozone test strips but so far so good.

I can't smell the ozone in my apartment even when it is cycling unless I stsick my head right near the exit. No headaches so far and I generally keep the sliding glass door open a little to let the heat/humidity out. I'll order some strips before I up the ozone output to be on the safe side. For now I just hope the smell isn't too obvious outside. Being upstairs helps.

Walking in the apartment was a bit more obvious but still not very bad considering there's a closet full of bud in the room.

My veg plants are not looking so hot so I'm going to let these go longer if needed. Plain water with excess runoff until they start to show signs of deficiency then let them dry up so I can re-use the coco easier.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: phychotron] * 1
    #825341 - 04/12/17 03:04 AM (7 years, 13 days ago)

Coming down probably the 17th. Flushing starting to take. Foxtailing but hopefully it'll fill in a bit more in the next few days. Pretty sure it was that extended P-K, a carryover from the week 3 mishap.

Better luck next time

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#825348 - 04/12/17 07:28 PM (7 years, 12 days ago)

Foxtailing is a result of lights being to close along witg bleaching clear indication. Just for others.

Just something to think about. When top leaves are loosing green first not from flush but ph or deficiency..

Edited by Theman (04/12/17 07:41 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825349 - 04/12/17 11:00 PM (7 years, 12 days ago)

Excess phosphorus for too long will also cause fox tailing. I've also heard Nitrogen can cause it as well.

For future reference, once a cell is bleached white it will continue to reproduce white even though its might not be too close anymore. Also, it won't ever go back to being green ever again.

Did you even bother to read anything? The plants have been flushed and on plain water for 11 days now.

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#825350 - 04/13/17 02:09 AM (7 years, 12 days ago)

I'd still smoke it :bobmarley:

Good job psycho, you still ended up with a decent amount of bud, and although we can all agree that the current situation is not ideal, it still looks pretty neat.

Cheers

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#825351 - 04/13/17 07:40 AM (7 years, 12 days ago)

However 1 calyx is not 1 cell. And when new calyxs grow or old calyxs get larger sgould be green then while old bleached cell are beneith;)  anyway good luck agsin my only beef is a mod passing in mis info.
Other then that can succesfully grow cannabis!

Peace

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825352 - 04/13/17 10:15 AM (7 years, 12 days ago)

lol, they'll turn pink/purple before they grow green again. How much experience with LED's do you have?

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#825353 - 04/13/17 03:36 PM (7 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Theman said:
However 1 calyx is not 1 cell. And when new calyxs grow or old calyxs get larger sgould be green then while old bleached cell are beneith;)  anyway good luck agsin my only beef is a mod passing in mis info.

Peace

But, if the cells in the meristem are bleached, and if what psycho says about the mitotic offspring of the bleached cells is correct, would it not logically follow that all growth above the point of bleaching be bleached as well? And let's not forget that its not just one cell that's getting bleached, but a significant bundle of cells nearest the light (aka the meristem)

That's how I understand plant growth to work, maybe I'm mistaken :shrug:

--------------------

Edited by Data (04/13/17 03:37 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825358 - 04/13/17 07:36 PM (7 years, 11 days ago)

Green growth within the bleached area are usually new shoots/foxtails from deeper like you say--the bits that were protected. Bleaching is not completely uniform either, so you get a side of white, correct it, then get some splotching as the new growth comes in.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825375 - 04/15/17 10:26 AM (7 years, 10 days ago)

The ozone test kits arrived. I checked right after the generator cycled off and found no indication. So I turned the intervals up from 5 minutes to 15. Its been a few days and the smell is much more tolerable outside. Its more just a problem when you walk up the stairs instead of in the parking lot. 

Tested a second time after leaving the door closed all day, still none.I'll probably bump it up to around 30 minutes and see how the strips respond then.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: phychotron] * 1
    #825429 - 04/19/17 02:23 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Chopped down today, got a lot of the shade leaf pulled off before chopping it down. Its much easier to de-shade it when its still upright and has some moisture to it so they pop right off. When its wilted they tend to string cheese as you pull them off.

One came down a day early cause the pot was dry.

Bamboo not needed. No nanners. Cut the whole plant and hung upside down to dry for a week.

--------------------

Offlinetvbfe
Male

#825436 - 04/19/17 10:00 AM (7 years, 6 days ago)

Nice man,looks like it came out despite the early challenges.

Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

#825544 - 04/22/17 08:39 AM (7 years, 3 days ago)

It's definitely neat looking. I'd smoke it :getstoned:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: funky]
    #825656 - 04/30/17 03:17 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Had to leave the house for a week and came back to the buds a bit too dry. Jarred and mostly trimmed it came to 800g of bud and 90g of lower bud and larf. Still a bit too early to smoke well but so far it has a decent flavor and burn rate. It doesn't make me me cough or choke. Smoke should smooth out with age. The jars smell dank.

Its a little brittle as expected. Not just from over drying but from that week three mishap when the feed was way too acidic. The damage also made the leaves more brittle, which never fully went away.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #825774 - 05/05/17 04:38 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Data said:
I'd still smoke it :bobmarley:

Good job psycho, you still ended up with a decent amount of bud, and although we can all agree that the current situation is not ideal, it still looks pretty neat.

Cheers

"Psycho" lol

Nice lookin budz there.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #825778 - 05/05/17 05:15 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Lol holy shit, I've always misread his username as Psychotron:thataintright:

my whole worldview is crashing around me :dumblol:

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825783 - 05/05/17 09:42 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

everyone does

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825827 - 05/08/17 01:23 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Left my nugs hanging up for a week over his bed. He was the protector of the nuggets while I was gone. Now he's getting assed out of his own home. It was so funny watching him try to fit.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825901 - 05/14/17 07:54 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

So far so good. I'm not overly impressed with it but it smokes pretty well and has a good flavor. Even though it fox tailed its not overly stemmy. They're still buds, but getting ready for phase two growth. The second great push. Its common for a plant to foxtail at 9 weeks and then fill out till around week 12. Not every plant does that, but Chemdog is a plant that always wanted to get into that later growth stage. I should have let it, but I thought about it after I had already started to flush and didn't want to restart feeding when the plants were already beginning to show signs.

I let it flush a little too long and some of the inner buds near the stem are showing it. Some yellow/brown brittle nuggets.

It semi hermied. In that there are no seeds, a few maybe be found floating around cause it looked like empty pods on some of these, but upon further inspection just seemed like empty calyx.  When digging deeper though I find a lot of pin-seeds. They are brown and very small, hard to even tell if you don't know what to dig for. I know because I've made coconut oil in the past and found them floating at the top. You can smoke through them, but they do add some harness to the bud.

Cant find any nanners. I didn't trim the bud so whenever I see something that looks like it, its usually just a piece of leaf.

I'm gonna pull out the camera and see about getting some good close ups.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825907 - 05/15/17 01:22 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825908 - 05/15/17 01:37 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Here you can see the micro seed. Threw the cut away the other day. It was sad to see her go but I aint got no time for seedy bitches.

--------------------

Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

#825910 - 05/15/17 07:17 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

:getstoned:

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: funky]
    #825916 - 05/16/17 12:45 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Who woulda guessed had bananas in there :wink: lucky i guess ? Jj

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #825919 - 05/16/17 02:16 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Theman said:
Who woulda guessed had bananas in there :wink: lucky i guess ? Jj

Why do you LIKE being a condescending dick? Take your attitude somewhere else please.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#825932 - 05/18/17 03:00 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Lol cheers! Like i said just because you pass on misinformation and think u know more then you actually do. And as a mod newbs think you perhaps are qualified. Sorry your ego cant handle being incorrect every now and then no need to name call tho!

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#825933 - 05/18/17 03:06 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Data said:

Quote:

Theman said:

Peace

But, if the cells in the meristem are bleached, and if what psycho says about the mitotic offspring of the bleached cells is correct, would it not logically follow that all growth above the point of bleaching be bleached as well? And let's not forget that its not just one cell that's getting bleached, but a significant bundle of cells nearest the light (aka the meristem)

That's how I understand plant growth to work, maybe I'm mistaken :shrug:

Ok then this indicates what i was hinting at. That there is lasting damage if bleaching or even approuching that one can assume the plant is under stress and slowing growth. Particularly as this is happening constantly and not just last week of flower.  Think lower bids not getting light. Bleaching is basically taking away photosyntgeitc ability even before tottaly white.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#825934 - 05/18/17 04:34 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I still dont understand what you are implying, the area bleached is tiny compared to the photosynthesizing surface area on the plant. Additionally, vascular plants do a very good job of reallocating resources when necessary, so its not like that tiny bit of bleaching is going to significantly affect the overall yield or quality of the bud.

Additionally, I fail to see how this has justified you being inconsiderate to him on his grow log.

He freely admits when something is wrong, opens up discussion on problems in which there could be multiple factors, and had even stated that there would eventually be a summary of mishaps, in order to make sure that readers are aware of what not to do.

Finally, he is actually posting full grow logs, and has actually earned his trusted cultivator tag through documented grow experience. He managed to get good yields and pretty good looking bud from a rather dire situation. If anything, this is good documentation of how to recover from a near fatal mishap midgrow. From what I see, you and your prior account have not documented a single grow log, so we really don't know if you actually know what you're talking about...

:shrug: Idk man, it seems pretty premature for you to pass judgement on a user for a single, incomplete grow log. We all have lives beyond the growery, give him some time to fully document everything. :chillpill:

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting back into the swing of things. 1000w LED 2x8 closet, chemdog. [Re: Data] * 1
    #825974 - 05/20/17 01:42 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

I probably won't get around to that end-game wrap up. Life requires my attention right now and I'd have to spend too much time re-reading all my old post to get it all together and I'd rather not have to sort through drama.

This is why its important to note things when the happen and keep a grow log. Forgetting exactly what happened and when it happened is one of the easiest things to do over the course of three months.

For now I'm moving forward, trying to work on my next crop and trying to get the grow-cube in order.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag